Freedom Tendering in Cayman

zpdw484

I am looking into booking a sting ray tour with captain marvins in Grand Cayman. I am aware of the time difference between Ship time and Cayman time. I will be going in June so Ship time should be 1 hr ahead of Cayman time, correct? Our itinerary says we arrive in Grand Cayman at 8am, which is 7am Cayman time, I think. We are wanting to book a tour that leaves at 8:30 am Cayman time. My question is this: Do you have to get tender tickets or is it a first come first serve basis. I know the folks on ship tours will get off first, but I still think we should have plenty of time to make our tour unless the tendering process takes much longer than anticipated. The last time I was in Cayman (5yrs ago on Navigator) tendering was quick and painless. Just wondering if I can expect the same on Freedom. Thanks

We were at GC last month on Voyager and the whole tendering and shore excursion process was the biggest circus we had ever seen.

We have been to GC many times and it was the worst ever! They ended up refunding our excursion $$$ after mass complaints.

I was on Freedom this past October. The tendering was pretty uneventful when I went ashore. I of course went ashore after the early rush so I had a very short wait to board the tender. The biggest rush was for those with the early excursions as mentioned. It is stressed that you keep your watch on ship's time so as not to miss the last tender back.

Your guide will know about any time differences.....so go with whatever the ship's clock says it is. Sometimes, the Capt. will change time...sometimes, he doesn't! Ships Time is all that matters.....check the clock before you leave the ship, and set your watch to whatever time it says. Do NOT use your cell phone, as it will reflect local time and that is NOT "ships time" always!!! Use a watch!

If for any reason the ship does not make Grand Cayman we are not charged, so no worries about that. So for anyone who has been on the freedom lately, do they give out tender tickets or do you just get in line? Do you think we will have any problem getting to shore bye 8:30 if the ship arrives at 7am? Thanks

Your guide will know about any time differences.....so go with whatever the ship's clock says it is. Sometimes, the Capt. will change time...sometimes, he doesn't! Ships Time is all that matters.....check the clock before you leave the ship, and set your watch to whatever time it says. Do NOT use your cell phone, as it will reflect local time and that is NOT "ships time" always!!! Use a watch!

Just back from Voyager out of NOLA and GC time was an hour ahead of our ship's time. My cellphone was on airplane mode for the entire ship and did not change EVER to reflect local time. We took a stingray tour through Moby Dick tours and they were great. They knew exactly when our ship would be in and how long it would take to tender off. They schedule the time of their tours around the ships and it wourked out perfectly. We had tender tickets in Group 3 (got into line for them 30 minutes BEFORE distribution!)and it took at least 1 1/2 hours to get off from the time the first group went. Really NOT a pleasant process.

Just back from Voyager out of NOLA and GC time was an hour ahead of our ship's time. My cellphone was on airplane mode for the entire ship and did not change EVER to reflect local time. We took a stingray tour through Moby Dick tours and they were great. They knew exactly when our ship would be in and how long it would take to tender off. They schedule the time of their tours around the ships and it wourked out perfectly. We had tender tickets in Group 3 (got into line for them 30 minutes BEFORE distribution!)and it took at least 1 1/2 hours to get off from the time the first group went. Really NOT a pleasant process.

We were on the 17th VOS sailing and it was pretty much the same. I understand the chaos of tendering that many pax...but man it was a mess.

We enjoyed GC our previous trip on a smaller vessel but this time was a cluster. Not really much RCCL can do about that though.

So does FOS issue tender tickets or is it first in line, first on tender? If using tickets, where do you acquire them?

I've never been issued tickets to tender. I believe tickets are used for the earliest tender's for those with excursions that begin right after the ship arrives or are full day excursions.

Its a circus...they said tender tickets would go out at 9:30 but really started at 9:15, we ended up with #21 and didn't tender until 12:30pm. Then they didn't even look at our tickets by the time we were called. It was chaos. I have to say though, the ship was at capacity and the seas were rough. Both of those things slowed down tendering. A woman on our tender said she was on FOS once before and they didn't even need to do tender tickets. I guess it's a crapshoot!

Its a circus...they said tender tickets would go out at 9:30 but really started at 9:15, we ended up with #21 and didn't tender until 12:30pm. Then they didn't even look at our tickets by the time we were called. It was chaos. I have to say though, the ship was at capacity and the seas were rough. Both of those things slowed down tendering. A woman on our tender said she was on FOS once before and they didn't even need to do tender tickets. I guess it's a crapshoot!

It can be a very lengthy process...fortunately we were never in a hurry to get anywhere..

I've never been issued tickets to tender. I believe tickets are used for the earliest tender's for those with excursions that begin right after the ship arrives or are full day excursions.

Would that be "RCCL" excursions or those booked with private tours also?

Would that be "RCCL" excursions or those booked with private tours also?

Yes, that would be for RCCL sponsored excursions. Private tours not included but if you have to get off at the same time I think you also get tickets but you will have a lower priority. If I'm incorrect someone please clarify, thanks.

We were just on the Freedom over Christmas and had an independent excursion with Native Way in Cayman, and were told to meet at 8:45 for the 9:00 excursion. We walked right onto a tender boat about 8:15 and were waiting for the tour at 8:30..super easy, and never saw or heard anyone talking of needing tender tickets. They did indicate the later you wait to tender the longer the line will be. We were back at the port at exactly 2:15 just as the tour operator had indicated. There was quite a long line to tender back to the ship after our tour was over, however.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived