Is the parking lot at Pearl Harbor safe to leave things in trunk

genealogyfan

I've read about not leaving anything valuable at remote beaches and other areas - but what about at the Pearl Harbor parking lot. If the items like luggage are in the trunk do you think they will be safe there? thanks

I would think it would be safe. Just don't get out of the car and start loading things in the trunk at the parking lot in plain site.

We were just there in November and it looked like a pretty safe parking lot. They do have lockers for purses, camera bags, etc. Security will let you bring in camera's, but no camera cases, bags, etc.

I would not leave anything in the car/trunk you want.... I have seen on several visits to the parking area broken glass on the pavement and police and Park rangers doing reports. Also the signs advise you not to leave anything of value in the vehicle.

Chuck

I read somewhere you can't bring backpacks, camera cases, etc.

Could you bring a smallish fanny pack to carry diabetes supplies, epipen?

When we were there in November security was very strict about bringing bags, fanny packs, camera and video cases, etc. I would check online or call to get your answer.

Was there this past summer, would I feel safe leaving my luggage, yes. Would I leave my computer, camera etc. NO. Two reason 1) Its hot, not good, 2) valuables like that one should avoid if they can. In a pinch I'd not be too worried.

It is a big lot, not supervised or anything but also lots of people going back and forth. People running off with your luggage a bit obvious a quick pry and run, easy to do. Like someone else mentioned don't be visable in putting things in and your opportunistic crooks won't go after your car as you park.

Every major public place says to not leave valuables...

Here is the info off the USS Arizona National Park web-site ... It says do not secure items of value in your car...

Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring a camera and cam-recorder. A storage facility, operated by a private vendor, is available for visitors coming to the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park and the Battleship Missouri. The facility can be found in the visitor center parking lot. Items accepted must be smaller than 30"H x 30"W x 18"D; suitcases are not accepted. There is a nominal storage fee. The storage facility is in operation daily 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same bag storage and parking stall for all three tours.

Security measures are strictly enforced at all three visitor destinations on Pearl Harbor. Federal law enforcement officers and security bike patrols monitor the parking lots. However it is not recommended to secure items of value in your car. Be safe; do not travel with valuables and use the storage locker.

Chuck

We left our luggage in the back of the minivan when we went, of course we parked right in from of a guard post, so that helped :)

We wouldn't have done that but we were heading to the airport right after... As everyone is saying, if you do it the right way, you could leave your bags in the trunk, but they might get stolen, so why risk it....

We didn't want to worry the whole time in Pearl Harbor and we are heading on a cruise after dropping off the car, so that would ruin our cruise if all our stuff was stolen out of the trunk -probably would be safer there then an empty beach but why take the chance

As I said thanks again for all the responses

Archived