Bear watching late July - Anan Creek or Neet's

janets

We currently have Neet's Bay booked with RCCL. They have one other Bear Watching tour but do not say where it is

Does anyone know if there is a major difference between Anan Creek or Neet's Bay?

Cost is not an issue

Hi,

I am a novice cruiser, so my answer is based upon the knowledge I have gleaned from these boards.

There are many (5 pages) of discussions regarding the bear-watching opportunities in Alaska, but this thread seemed close to what you were looking for:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=143820&highlight=Bear+Watching

The bear typically do not become visible until July through mid-September when the salmon are running.

Anan seems to be the favored site, provided you are there at the right time of year due to the types of bear you see there.

Neets Bay is also good for Black Bears - again, depends upon the time of year.

Anan allows you to see Brown Bear

Neets Bay are only Black Bears

There are other, more knowledeable folks here on the boards that will help you with the various times of the year these sites are best for, but hopefully, this is a start. :)

Hi again

The Alaskan Bear Adventure that the Cruiseline offers is run by Taquan Air.

If you do a google search, you can find their website and read their explanation of the Alaskan Bear Adventure tour.

They also fly to Anan, but this is not offered through the cruiseline.

They do not fly to Neets Bay.

Anan is good for July - Brown Bears can be seen there.

Neets Bay is good for August - mid Sept. Only Black Bears at Neets Bay.

Anan Creek is the number 1 bear tour in Southeast Alaska. It is mainly black bears but there are a number of brownies that fish there as well. One of the only places where you have the chance to see blacks and browns at the same

time in the same creek.

Neets Bay is a fish hatchery. That's why they run a bear tour there. Good chance to see them. Not too bad a price.

Taquan Air runs thier bear tour out to Traitors Cove. That's a great location.

However, last summer they pulled a switch on a lot people. They ran out of

permits for Traitors Cove so they took them to Polk Inlet on Prince of Wales

Island. Horrible location for bear viewing. Lots of really unhappy people. As long as they take you to Traitors Cove, I would go. If they say they are going to take you to Polk Inlet instead, I'd cancel and demand a refund.

Anan Creek is the number 1 bear tour in Southeast Alaska. It is mainly black bears but there are a number of brownies that fish there as well. One of the only places where you have the chance to see blacks and browns at the same

time in the same creek.

Neets Bay is a fish hatchery. That's why they run a bear tour there. Good chance to see them. Not too bad a price.

Taquan Air runs thier bear tour out to Traitors Cove. That's a great location.

However, last summer they pulled a switch on a lot people. They ran out of

permits for Traitors Cove so they took them to Polk Inlet on Prince of Wales

Island. Horrible location for bear viewing. Lots of really unhappy people. As long as they take you to Traitors Cove, I would go. If they say they are going to take you to Polk Inlet instead, I'd cancel and demand a refund.

We took this tour in mid-August and it was fantastic! 2 dozen black bears fishing for, and feasting on, salmon (they really want the roe). Great flightseeing there and back.

We look forward to trying Anan on our next trip. Have a great cruise and enjoy the bears!

I know you mentioned that the cruiseline had an excursion, but I'd like to offer an alternative. We scheduled with Michelle at Island Wings for Anan Creek Bear Watch and Flightseeing. This is a guided 5 hour excursion and costs $400 PP. Her company has gotten rave reviews on this board. You can contact them at www.islandwings.com

Good Luck!

Michelle runs a tight ship. Good people. You could also try Dave at Family Air.

He's a good pilot. I don't think he is offering guided tours though. He flys you

out to Anan, drops you off and take you back to K-town. It's a easy trail to

hike and you don't really need a guide for this one.

All of these are fly out trips. Very limited as to the number of people that

they can take. As for seeing bears on your own, just keep your eyes open.

If your in Ketchikan check out the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary. Very large

population of black bears in the area.

Janets, when you see Dave make sure you tell'm Scott sent you. I think you'll

have a good time with him. Take lot's of film or memory cards and take lot's of

pic's. Last time I was out there I went through 4 rolls of 36 in a little over an

hour. I should have taken more. And don't worry about the weather, just plan

for it and realize your in Alaska. Good luck, bearbait.

Will do - just upgraded my digital to Fuji Finepix 5100 - has 10X Optical Zoom and also did get Telephoto and Wide Angle Lenses - bought two 512MB cards and may even spring for a third before I go

Thanks BudgetQueen for steering me away from Neets Bay!

We have a orca cove kayaking trip + bear viewing through Southeast Sea Kayak. It sounds from their ad they land in a remote bay. How does this compare with Anan? Was jut wondering where my $$$ would be better spent. Thanks

That's kind of an iffy proposition if your going just in "hopes" of seeing a bear

or bears. There are reasons why they have bear viewing tours at Anan, Neets,

and Traitors Cove. At Anan and Traitors they have natural impoundments where

the fish are "kind of" trapped from getting up stream easily. Usually a small set

of falls, rapids, etc. That's what draws the bears to the area. They know dinner

is about to be served and the pickin's are gonna be easy. Neets Bay is located by a fish hatchery, the smorgasboard. Up and coming is the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary at Herring Cove, another fish hatchery.

If you want the best "chance" to see some hot, steamin', bear action, you gotta

go where the bears are..... If money isn't the object head up to Anan. Either

Family Air, Island Wings, or Taquan Air should be able to hook you up....

Archived