"Bring a friend" promo....

I almost forgot I put in for this. Just checked and mine still says it's "Pending." Since I do get a balcony discount, I assume it will be denied.

Agree with the OP, this isn't a deal-breaker of any kind, but it does seem nonsensical to offer "regular cruisers" a bonus for referring new people, but only if they don't use the usual discount they get because they are "regular" cruisers.

I'm bringing 2 new cruisers on my next cruise and while the $25 would have been a nice little perk, we won't miss it. As someone else pointed out, I would have loved to have seen the $25 be credited to them as a "Welcome" perk to RCCL cruising.

I just called about mine. My cruise is 44 days away and the status for my referral was "pending". I called C&A and was told they don't input the bring a friend requests until 10 days or so prior to the cruise because cancel, etc. I put a note on my calendar to check the status 10 days prior and I'll call them if it still says pending. I didn't use any sort of coupon or discount so it should fly for me (at least I hope so)!

I'm not sure how relative this is, but here goes. I don't know if many of you remember when this was first introduced early last year it was supposed to end 4/30/11 I believe. As I had two couples joining my DH and I who had never cruised I filled out all the information and submitted it. We booked our trip using a C&A Savings Certificate (it was a better discount than our Plat Balcony). Both referrals showed up as 'approved' around 3 months out from sailing. Actual $50 OBC showed up on 1st full day of trip:)

Reason I pointed this out is that after 4/30 they 'extended' the date until the end of July and so on. I would assume they also changed the terms and conditions at that time :(

I am still waiting for the verdict. Applied December 14, still pending. Used a future cruise certificate for $25 OBC for a 3-night cruise.

Mine was finally approved today :) Sounds like the FCC doesn't count as a discount for this purpose.

I have debated on hopping on the Cruise Critic site and writing about my experience with this "promotion".

I will be very honest in my self assessment that I did not click the link that led me to the full terms and conditions. I read the very large print that said "it's that easy". I did not see anything on the page that led me to believe I would not get the benefit.

When I first filled out the forms, I was told all three of the rooms that I brought first time guests for were accepted and pending. All six of my friends are first time passengers. Two rooms were booked at balcony one at oceanview. This was approximately $5,500 in fares paid to Royal Caribbean.

Now, I called about two weeks ago to verify I had gotten the onboard $75 I thought I was going to get. As you have probably gathered by my posting this, I was told that since I got a C&A platinum discount, I could not combine the two and thus, I was not given the onboard credit.

Now, my reasoning for being upset. The promotion is geared to those who are return cruisers, we will all most certainly be getting some type of discount. Additionally, we would mostly be already getting more in onboard credit from loyalty ambassador etc. This makes the promotion misleading on it's face. I can understand the limit to onboard credit. However, this one really upsets me.

I have read on other threads how some folks were able to get the credit anyway. I have tried and tried, I have sent emails, actual letters, made phone calls and spoke to supervisors. I have to say, I am disappointed in RCCL. It won't ruin my vacation, but alas, I can't help but think it's upsetting.

I am a guy of principle and feel they should do the right thing. Makes me want to book my next cruise elsewhere. My friends and I usually book for the next year about now. I am thinking of taking our group booking elsewhere. All over $75...... :(

Jason

Our Christmas cruise was a ton of money for balconies for the 6 of us, and yes, I am upset about being "denied." I didn't read the fine print either and assumed that the various C&A agents were correct in telling me that we qualified. On one hand, I feel petty fretting about $25 pp but I'm with you. It's the principal of the promotion. What a public relations fiasco. We've been very loyal to RCI for over 10 years. However, we have booked the Crown Princess from Galveston for Spring Break 2013 and are including the children and grandchildren. We've been on 2 Princess cruises and were pleased with both. Their customer service reps are extremely impressive and seem to be knowledgable. We like the idea of going to 4 ports (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize City) rather than just 3 ports, of having laundry facilities on each deck (grandchildren), being able to bring Cokes, water, wine without issues, mini suites at the price of D1 balconies, etc. Many years ago when we first started cruising, we were on a Celebrity cruise and at a table the nicest gentlemen from San Francisco who were the onboard duplicate bridge directions. They had traveled the world. I asked them which cruise line they preferred. And, they answered "they're all alike." Ha! I 2nd the motion "get a new jingle team!"

The terms and conditions become such a frustration. I totally understand they are a company with shareholders out to make money. However, it becomes an issue of integrity. Directv gave me $100 to refer a friend. No problems at all. RCCL, I hope you are seeing what people say!

We had problems with this promo. I have an aunt who is coming with us on Serenade in March. They gave me a boat load of you know what about when I booked my cruise, which by the way has nothing to do with their regulations for the program. Needless to say i did not get the credit. And that was with all the rules followed. RCL couldn't give up a $25 credit. Nothing I said or faxed to them made any difference.

• 2 weeks later...
The terms and conditions have changed since the promo first came out. I had no problem in August combining it with my balcony discount. It was approved months before the cruise.

Perhaps you just got lucky and slipped through the cracks? I just called and confirmed mine was "denied" due to also using the balcony discount.

The fine print definitely does still say, Offer not combinable with any other promotion or offer except for the Onboard Booking Bonus.

Just checked mine for next week... DENIED!

I think I'm going to email Goldstein... I brought them $2500 worth of new business for my aunt and uncle doing the same B2B and they can't even spring for $25... I was denied because I applied the balcony disc and or the sav certificate... Can't remember which!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked mine for next week... DENIED!

I think I'm going to email Goldstein... I brought them $2500 worth of new business for my aunt and uncle doing the same B2B and they can't even spring for $25... I was denied because I applied the balcony disc and or the sav certificate... Can't remember which!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience with the denial. I also voiced my opinion on a recent survey they sent me. I got the usual "Thank you for your opinion" response email. Nothing ever came of it. Surprised? Not at all. :rolleyes:

I went on my first RCI cruise in December on Monarch. My parents had cruised Royal before, so they called to refer me since we had two cabins and I was the only one old enough to receive the credit (I'm 21 and brothers are under 18). Well, C&A never came through and I never got the credit. Called when I got back, and explained I was sailing again on Jewel in March and asked if I could have it applied then. Sure, no problem. Yesterday, I transferred the Jewel booking to Liberty and the RCI rep didn't see the $25 OBC anywhere. Connected me to C&A, and they of course tried to tell me I wasn't eligible. Fortunately, the supervisor I had spoken with in Guest Relations in December had made notes on everything we had discussed. In the end, the $25 has been applied to my Liberty sailing. I hated to make a big deal about $25, but like others mentioned it is the principle, not to mention that will by a few drinks :cool:

Perhaps you just got lucky and slipped through the cracks? I just called and confirmed mine was "denied" due to also using the balcony discount.

The fine print definitely does still say, Offer not combinable with any other promotion or offer except for the Onboard Booking Bonus.

There was no slipping through the cracks. When the promotion first started there were no restrictions.

I think it's a very poor public relations gimmick. When I clicked on C&A, I saw this:

Gift Preferences

Upgrade Preferences

Bring a Friend

Enroll a Household Member

Cruise History

After clicking on "Bring a Friend," this pops up.

"We love it when you rave about your amazing cruise experiences with us. Many of you tell us that you talk so much about your exciting adventures; you convince friends and family to come along!

To show our appreciation you can enjoy an exclusive reward when bring your friends along to experience their first Royal Caribbean International® cruise vacation.

Receive $25 to spend onboard for each stateroom your friends reserve on your cruise booked after January 21, 2011*

Here's how it works:

Your friend or family member must be a first-time cruiser with Royal Caribbean International.

The first-time guest must be sailing on the same ship and sail date as you, the member.

You may refer up to a maximum of 5 staterooms for any length of cruise. It's that simple!"

There were several posts on this board about the "Bring A Friend" promotion so I "assumed" that we'd get the onboard credit. I also talked to C&A 2 or 3 times as to whether or not it had been applied and each time I was assured that they were bogged down but that it was approved.

All that they needed to do was add one line "Not combinable with balcony discount, shareholder credit, etc etc etc."

Telling folks that they are "denied" is just not very tactful.

Archived