My first time -- Question about boarding time at Long Beach and other things

tbiesinger

We are heading out on our first cruise on 2/12 aboard the Splendor. I am soooo excited. However, I am confused about the best time to get to the Long Beach port for check in. My docs say to arrive between 12:30 and 3, but I keep reading about people saying to arrive around 11 so you can get on early, avoid the crowds, and eat lunch onboard. Is there a recommended time? I don't want to just sit around and wait with 4 kids in tow, but I also don't want to get there later in the day if we could have been their earlier. What do you experienced cruisers suggest?

Another question is, what time are our bags typically in the room? Should I pack some things separate in a carry on to keep with us that first day? Will we be able to get in our room before the bags are there or what time are the rooms typically ready?

Well, that is a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Yes, if you want things like swim suits when you board, carry them on, with your soda and wine which must be carried on, not checked, if you want it.

I get there before 11 am, because I am looking forward to lunch. Later after lunch time the lines will be less, but why miss lunch?

When you arrive at the dock you will get a zone card, so you board in order of arrival if there is a line. There will be a big line when boarding first starts if thats what you want to avoid .. but I dont mind the excitement of waiting to board.

Usually boarding starts around 11:30. Early check in starts at 9:30 in front of the Dome. Your cabin will not be ready until 1-1:30 so if you arrive early you will have to schlep your stuff with you.

It is truly a crapshoot as to when your luggage will arrive. On some cruises the luggage has arrived within 2 hours of boarding and other times not until after dinner. We usually schlep carryons and do not worry about checking luggage.

The few times we have checked luggage we always keep all electronics, valuables and a change of clothes with us.

Any drinks need to be carried on as well.

It can take some time getting into the Dome. There are four doors for document check (passports & Fun Pass) and only two security scanners. Once inside there are at least 20 check-in counters.

If you are driving be warned that Long Beach charges by the day and hour. So if you arrive on Sunday at 9am but don't leave until 10am for debark you will be charged for 7 days + the extra hour. Parking is $15/day. Keep your receipt out, you'll need it for the second booth. Also if you arrive too early you will be fighting the traffic leaving the ship.

ETA-- The only times in Long Beach where we have received a Zone card was for early embarkation. Otherwise we have gone straight to the ship.

If you call from 9 to 5 at the Hilton, they have a special rate for Carnival cruisers that includes free parking and free shuttle to the port and back. Well worth it. Our family of 20 people (mostly driving from parts of CA) got in the day before, had dinner at a terrific Greek restaurant in downtown Long Beach (it is along the beach roads, not inland back of the hotel). Next day we took the kids down a couple of blocks from the Hilton to a shopping amusement park and some went to the Aquarium so we had a nice day in Long Beach. We checked in at the ship around 2 or 3, about an hour before the drop dead time, and were almost alone. What a pleasure to sail through check in! Our rooms were ready when we arrived. So relaxing a way to start your cruise. Be sure to fill out your documents online at www.carnival.com as that also makes a big difference in your getting through quickly. I see no charm or excitement in hanging around the terminal with kids.

I really recommend late checkin to avoid the crowds. Our same group is sailing in a couple of days from Ft Lauderdale on Carnival Freedom and I am stunned at the people who plan to stand outside the terminal for an hour before the doors open. We again will arrive an hour before the deadline.

We always arrive at that port slightly before 11. We are usually the first group to board (after VIPs, weddings, special needs, etc.). We are able to get to the lunch before the crowds and get a table where we want one.

If you get there a little too early, like we did once, you can tour the Queen Mary next door. There are free areas and paid tour areas. :)

If you go to deck 10, the rotisserie is just above the Lido buffet. It is never crowded in there. That was where we headed for lunch with 4 kids in tow :p

or is it 11 and Lido is 10? My brain stopped functioning after #1 was born. I can't remember crap!

I can't understand everyone who gets on early just to eat lunch; sheesh, you're on the ship for 7 days...you'll eat plenty! ;)

OP, it's really your personal preference. The cabins aren't opened until 2:00, so we generally don't like to get on 'til then. I hate having to haul all of my carry-on stuff around with me.

You'll love the Splendor; we just did this itinerary for the third time last month. I really miss Mazatlan though; hope they bring it back in the near future.

Because it is your first cruise I would get there early, by 10:30. Check in your luggage, but keep a roll on for meds, swim suits, wine (one per adult), and either a change of clothes or at least a nice top and undies. Why the change of clothes? We have had a bag get lost on the ship and although we eventually got it back my hubby went a few days with only what we had with us. So cross packing in your large bags is always a good idea.

There are things to look at while you wait for your zone to board and I love the excitement. You have two large ships Queen Mary and the Splendor to view and compare, and a pretty port. It is a nice way to spend an hour or so. Also you will get on board with plenty of time to have your choice of what to eat and tour the ship. If you had cruised many times I might be able to see the advantage of waiting until 2 p.m. I will be Platinum with Carnival on my cruise in 18 days and am looking forward to seeing if the VIP embarkation really is faster but I still plan to get there by 10:30.

I can't understand everyone who gets on early just to eat lunch; sheesh, you're on the ship for 7 days...you'll eat plenty! ;)

OP, it's really your personal preference. The cabins aren't opened until 2:00, so we generally don't like to get on 'til then. I hate having to haul all of my carry-on stuff around with me.

You'll love the Splendor; we just did this itinerary for the third time last month. I really miss Mazatlan though; hope they bring it back in the near future.

I like to board a.s.a.p. because I want to milk as much as I can out of my vacation :D. Also, I don't want to be one of those people who board later and then wander around with their lunch trays looking for an open table.

I would like then to add another port as well. If not Mazatlan, then maybe La Paz.

..............I will be Platinum with Carnival on my cruise in 18 days and am looking forward to seeing if the VIP embarkation really is faster but I still plan to get there by 10:30.

VIP boarding in Long Beach isn't necessarily faster once the Dome opens. Several times we go with a group and they are almost always onboard before us.:mad:

We are heading out on our first cruise on 2/12 aboard the Splendor. I am soooo excited. However, I am confused about the best time to get to the Long Beach port for check in. My docs say to arrive between 12:30 and 3, but I keep reading about people saying to arrive around 11 so you can get on early, avoid the crowds, and eat lunch onboard. Is there a recommended time? I don't want to just sit around and wait with 4 kids in tow, but I also don't want to get there later in the day if we could have been their earlier. What do you experienced cruisers suggest?

Another question is, what time are our bags typically in the room? Should I pack some things separate in a carry on to keep with us that first day? Will we be able to get in our room before the bags are there or what time are the rooms typically ready?

Well, that is a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Hey I'll see you onboard. We are cruising on the Splendor that week too. :)

I have sailed out of Long Beach a couple times. With kids in tow, I would not recommend getting there until 11:30 to noon. People that arrive really early often don't have little ones in tow and it ain't fun just sitting & waiting and no seating to wait either. I attached pictures of the area to give you an idea of what you do. Those getting there early will get boarding pass #1 and they will be boarding after the handicapped & VIP guests. Another section is group 2 and on up. I have been in group 1 and not really got that much of a head start on the others in later groups. They usually start boarding around 11:30 to noon to give you an idea. Later if there is any delay in getting the prior guests off (customs delays, fog etc). You will still be able to get lunch but it might be 1pm when you eat.

Alway have a carryon with essentials that you wouldn't want to live without for the first night like medications, bathing suit if you plan to swim etc. It could take until 10pm to get your luggage. Dining room is forgiving of dress code the first night because many people don't have their luggage yet. I have often seen my luggage outside my door when I return from dinner (I have early seating dinner). You can access your cabin usually around 1:30 I think. I have actually opened the doors and dropped off my carryons in my room before they opened the hall doors if the room looks like its already made up but I do not get in their way. I wouldn't recommend having everyone go like your kids cuz they would be in the way of the stewards prepping rooms. One person walk in & drop off a bag and leave and thats it. I often carry more than one bag so I hang on to them at the lido until they open the hall doors.

2219995080040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2689956400040669306S200x200Q85.jpg2774893040040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

I have arrived at port at 8:30 the first time & did pre-check in on the Queen Mary and had to wait until 11:30 to board. I arrived about 10:30 another time and had to wait in line until about 11:30 to board. Both times I was eating on the lido deck by 12:30. With kids, I would not get there too early. But waiting until 3pm is stupid. I would arrive around noon if I was you. I won't have kids so I'll probably get there again around 10:30 or 11.

It can take some time getting into the Dome. There are four doors for document check (passports & Fun Pass) and only two security scanners. Once inside there are at least 20 check-in counters.

When we went on the Splendor, they added an extra scanner.

I will be Platinum with Carnival on my cruise in 18 days and am looking forward to seeing if the VIP embarkation really is faster but I still plan to get there by 10:30.

VIP boarding in Long Beach isn't necessarily faster once the Dome opens. Several times we go with a group and they are almost always onboard before us.:mad:

We got there just after they started zone embarkation. Usually the VIP and Platinum will go to the far right door at the dome after check-in to go thru security, but we were just put into the shortest line to get into the dome.

My husband and I are taking Amtrak into Long Beach the day prior to our sail date. We're staying at the Queen Mary and there is early check in there.. I believe it starts at 9:30. We'll be loitering in the area until we can board, touring the QM and such. I am with the other posters that like to get on ASAP as that feels like the start of the cruise vacation. My goal is to only have carry on (wish me luck), no check in luggage.. though if we check in luggage I will be carrying with me everything I might need up through that first night.. just in case.

Not sure if any of that helps you.. but I hope you figure out what you need and enjoy your trip!

I like to board a.s.a.p. because I want to milk as much as I can out of my vacation :D. Also, I don't want to be one of those people who board later and then wander around with their lunch trays looking for an open table.

I would like then to add another port as well. If not Mazatlan, then maybe La Paz.

Ditto to milking the most I can out of a vacation as well as LaPaz.

For me it is also about the line. I do not want to board later and have a massive line at the buffet. Can't stand that. Quite often, embarkation lunch is the only meal I eat at the buffet (well, and late late nights on those lines that offer it).

Just today, I got a robo-call from CCL, as I'm due to cruise Splendor starting next week. The call stated that the best time for avoiding long lines to board was to arrive at the terminal between 2PM and 3:30PM.

We did this same itinerary two years ago on Sapphire Princess and also chose to board about 2:30PM (sailing 4:30PM). There were no lines whatsoever.

My husband and I are taking Amtrak into Long Beach the day prior to our sail date. We're staying at the Queen Mary and there is early check in there.. I believe it starts at 9:30.

That's great to know! We're going on the Splendor and sailing out of Long Beach for the first time, so all of this information is very helpful. We are staying on the Queen Mary the night before - and didn't know there was an early check-in on the Queen Mary. Nice!

That's great to know! We're going on the Splendor and sailing out of Long Beach for the first time, so all of this information is very helpful. We are staying on the Queen Mary the night before - and didn't know there was an early check-in on the Queen Mary. Nice!

Early check in for the Inspiration 3 & 4 day cruises is in the Queen Mary. The Splendor's early check in is in front of the Dome.

I also agree about La Paz. Went on the Spirit over Thanksgiving for La Paz. When Carnival removed Mazatlan they also removed La Paz. Oh well, ship happens.

Long Beach was my least favorite port. Waiting outside is not fun. Thank goodness it wasn't raining. If I were to sail out of there again, I'd wait till after the mad rush to get there.

They do have awnings now so you aren't out in the rain but it is still outside and nowhere to sit unless you sit on the concrete things in the middle which is cold & hard on the buns. I prefer being indoors in a real waiting area with chairs. Definitely won't be doing early check in again. I sure wouldn't get there before 10:30. I may wait until noon myself.

Archived