Star Princess Hawaii Oct 21, 2012

RMorningglory

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A friend in need is a friend indeed! LOL Welcome aboard and sometimes a solo trip means less drama and more peace, all good thoughts when you're hoing to Hawaii! What are your usual sea day activities and do you do traditiopnal dining with others generally or keep your options open?

Hooray!! I have sailed solo a number of times and yes, there is less drama and more peace. It's good to have people around that you know, though, so I'm glad I've gotten to meet some already! I have a super packed and busy life and have no vacation since my Emerald Princess sailing last year, so the 15 days will be sublime!

Sea days are definitely down times - I like to visit the spa, the gym. I read voraciously when I have the time and will usually finish two or three books. I'm not a big sun lover, but I will hang out in a shady spot by the pool - especially if there's nice scenary :)

I particularly look forward to the evenings. I'm one of those people who like a nice dining experience and so am either in the dining room and once in a while the specialty restaurants. I normally do traditional late seating, but that's always a crap shoot - especially solo - as to who you're going to get seated with. But I find it better to have one set of introductions rather than introductions and answers to "how can you travel all alone?" every night from a different group of people. Of course a table of friends is always best ;)

How about you?

We are outside folk. We would be out in the open air 24/7 if possible so we usually try to snag Sanctuary for the duration of the cruise if possible. That being said we have a pretty regular routine of breakfast on the fan deck, mosie out to the sun, read, byob cocktails, light lunch, afternoon nap. gym (Maybe), steam... steam... steam, Sauna... sauna... sauna... aaaah. ;-) Per-dinner cocktail on our balcony and dinner around 8. We generally scope out a wait-team and stick with them. We do the specialty restaurants a couple times during the trip and really enjoy the Chef's Table. We've done Ultimate Balcony Dining but it's hard to know when the wind isn't going to be blowing your lobster into your lap. We aren't really "Joiners" but usually make friends along the way. We do FOD meetings here and there and especially on the 1st day to meet the "Locals". The times of the meetings are often too early for us to be dressed for dinner. I swear they should move the meetings to the spa... they'd be better attended and more relaxed.

We might do the shows if we're still awake but I find that the boat rocks me to sleep. I have a pretty high paced life and find the cruises to be so relaxing I really do get to catch up on my rest and reading. AJ, my partner, is out and about bee-bopping all over the place way more than I am usually. He has a lot of energy and mysteriously becomes a "Morning Person" on a cruise (I'm still trying to figure that out?).

We always welcome company and new friends on our trips and look very forward to meeting you!

What are your Island Plans?

Happy Independence Weekend...Glory? My name is Brian and I know your partner is AJ - how about you? :)

Your sea day plans sound great so I'll be tagging along (just kidding). I know what you mean about hectic life and the contrast that a nice long cruise provides. It seems the only way I can get away and get some rest is to get on a ship in the middle of the ocean and lock the cell phone in the safe.

I know what you mean about FOD meetings in the spa - that is an idea. I have a friend who used to manage the spas on Princess for Steiner. We still laugh about the time she was on Golden Princess doing an Atlantic crossing - the ship was about half sold and there was a large gay group on board. She exclaimed repeatedly during the trip that the steam and saunas were "heaving." Unfortunately I missed that cruise :(

I don't really have plans for the Islands - I will probably do something in Hilo - maybe go back to the volcanoes since I haven't been there in five years or so. I've been meaning to get to Wiamea Canyon on Kauai but haven't yet made it - so that's also a possibility. There's also a beach about a 10 minute walk away from the ship nice to spend the afternoon. Maui I usually trek up to Kanapaali and spend the afternoon (there's a shuttle from Lahaina to Kanapaali) and on Oahu I usually head down for Waikiki for the afternoon - I have a chair reserved at the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar every trip :) Best shore excursion ever. I'm really not firm on any island plans.

Like you I'm not a morning person so to get on an early tour, I really have to want to go - although I did a few on my last trip to the Caribbean and I did enjoy them even with the early wake up call.

Hope you're enjoying the Independence day weekend...

- Brian

Well a belated happy 4th from sunny Cape Cod. I'm Chris BTW. I run a hotel here in Hyannis and am a free-lance interior designer so my off days are totally precious to me. We're renting a car and tooling around a bit at each port. We want to go out to Doris Duke's place in Oahu. We love Rough Point in Newport and since I'm into that kind of stuff we're setting our sights on that. AJ used to live on Maui so I suppose we'll be making a pilgramage to his old haunts. He has a Great Aunt, who is a nun, who lives in Honalulu so we will also see her. On the Big Island I suppose we'll do some volcano related thing, and on Kawai I would like to find a secluded spot for a little "Freestyle" ;) sunbathing and a swim if that's possible. We might have to meet you at the RH for that Mai Tai. It's all kind of how we feel. If you want to catch a ride with us it's a convertable so lather up on the sun screen. AJ gets all covered up like a woman in Mecca because he burns but I tell him to suck it up... we're in a convertable in Hawaii... get over it! LOL

Where are you from Brian? We are flying into SF the on the 20th, the night before we sail, and the 21st is AJ's actual birthday so he will be expecting something special I am sure. We fly out on the 6th so we'll have 1 more night in SF on the far end as well. We would have done a couple days in Napa but the cruise is so long to begin with it's hard to take a lot more time off. We are actually going to Florida this Sunday and will be there with a couple friends till late Friday so we are looking forward to that break. We do it annually. It's nice because it is so crazy busy where we live we like to go somewhere that is a little quieter.

What is your Cabin of choice and are you an evening show guy?

Hey there Chris - happy belated to you - good to 'meet' you.

Your days on shore sound great. I don't know of a freestyle sun bathing location on Kauai, but I bet if you google it, you'll find something. I think there is a gay social group on Kauai as well - might try seeing if there's something a search engine can find you about them.

Thanks for the offer of a ride - I may take you up on that. AJ and I can wear our burkas and you can drive along freestyle :) I'm also not a very good tanner, so it's the heavy duty sunscreen for me. I can definitely save you a spot at the RH for one of their mai tais. I'm like you - I really appreciate my days off and so planning tours isn't always working for me - I try to do what I feel like doing instead.

I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area. I went to UC Berkeley for college and have worked in the area ever since. So I have deep roots here as did my parents and grandparents. Love the SF departures (and don't get scared by what CC folks say about Pier 35 - it's not the best but it's not THAT bad) and I'm looking to take advantage of Grand Princess' home porting here in 2013. It's too bad that you're unable to take some time up in Napa - if you've never been there its a great visit. There's a group up there called Out in the Vineyard and they have travel recommendations for the LGBT community that visits - you can check out their website too if you're interested in heading up there on your next visit.

My cabin of choice on the Grand Class is the mini-suite I think. But sailing solo it is a little pricey. Since my only real requirement is that I have a balcony, I do the low category balcony guarantee thing (I don't really care much about the cabin location). So far it's worked well for me and I've been usually bumped up to Caribe deck. And now since I've said that I've probably jinxed myself.

Normally you will find me in the late shows during the evening...I normally take late seating and if there's a show going on that sounds interesting, I'll be there. Love the production shows, although I will admit that Princess' quality has dropped a bit, especially on the smaller ships. Now they are posting about show duration being cut back, so it will be interesting to see how it all feels this next cruise. Some nights I will hang out in a lounge and listen to the piano or band and have a drink, other nights its up to Skywalkers...again, depends on how I feel.

How about you - cabin? Nighttime activities?

• 2 weeks later...

Our flight is delayed by several hours so I'm sitting at the bar with idle time... you know what that breeds! LOL so...

AJ actually lived in Guernville and did front desk at Applewood Inn for several seasons. I have been to Napa and Sonoma several times for various reasons but mostly for the vino. We are big SF fans and have friends in Marin County so do get there every so often. AJ lived in CA for at least 12 years... mostly in the LA area but a few years in SF/wine country. One of our favorite things id "Taste of Alexander Valley".

We just spent the day "Freestyle" at Haulover beach. Lions and Tigers and Bears.. Oh My. LOL

We have very low key plans for the next couple months pre cruise so this break has been great.

Work tomorrow and all weekend. After 5 days at the Breakers and a little naughty beach time in FFl it's going to be TOUGH!! uggh.

Chat soon! :p

We're in a Balcony Guarantee but it has been assigned. We are Mini suite fans but the upgrade for this cruise is a lot so... we'll have o make due with 1 TV. lol

Evenings depend on how the day has gone. Booze makes me snoozy so depending how early I start... It might be a short night. LOL otherwise.. piano bar or a show are great. We might hit Keroke but it usually starts before we're done with dinner so it all depends.

You can hop in our back seat all lathered up any time since we're just about the only "BOYS" on the boat... though I can't believe that for a second. We did a TA on Ruby last October but I took my parents. It will be nice to be foot loose and parent free this trip.

I don't think we're the only boys on the boat either...especially since it's a sailing from San Francisco. There's gotta be at least a couple more ;) If we are we'll just find the hidden ones in the spa.

I too have an assigned balcony - it's a BF I think and after I booked it I found out it's got twin beds that don't convert to a queen. So I wanted to book a higher category but my TA is convinced that I'll get an upgrade. She better be right or she's fired.

Did you ever find any freestyling on the islands? You must definitely have that all over tan ;) What does AJ do when you're out baking?

Hope you have a good weekend - sorry you have to go back to work, but as my father used to say, if you didn't work you wouldn't have time off ;)

So... after sitting at the airport till 10:30 last night Jetblue cancelled the flight. With much adieu we spent the night at the La Quinta in Sawgrass Florida... HUH? OMG buddy... I think a few people thought that it was the "Nicest place they had stayed in in a while", well let me tell you... it was NOT the nicest place I've stayed in a while!!! AJ was much better adjusted about it than me I must say, that is until he figured out why he felt so hot: His sunburn was in full force from Haulover and I must think that by the sight of it sitting down was going to be torture. I thought he was lathered up but evidently he needed to be baisted more often. Oops.

I am just about to find out where one might go on our trip for a similar tan line. (Mine not AJ's) I'll keep you posted. He is a team player and will come along. Funny story, We were in Antigua a few years back and went to a resort with a Freestyle beach. Leave it to me to "shuck the shorts" on a little strip of deserted beach which... you guessed it... ended up being the wrong beach at the resort. Security was very nice about it though. AJ was too after he stopped rolling on the floor in hysterics. :o

We've done the 2 bed conversion and it's been fine in the past so whatever happens happens. We like Princess a lot because we don't often feel nickle and dimed so if we don't get an upgrade we won't be too flustered. We were on NCL an few years ago and our bill getting off that boat looked as though we had spent like it was out last holiday ever. It's all those specialty restaurants. We really save on Booze on Princess because we pretty much bring our own and the differance actually pretty much pays for the other stuff. It doesn't take too many cocktails by the pool to get that tab up baby!

There was no "Spa Time" to speak of on this trip as the spa at the Breakers is the loneliest place on earth. The dali Lama could go there for serious meditation since there's NEVER a soul in the joint and it's a $25.00 charge. I like the easy in and out aspect of the steam, sauna, showers on the Princess ships. When we are in the sanctuary we use the spa bathroom facilities as they are closet to the sanctuary. It also allows me the option of cooling off under a shower rather than getting into the pool. No wet bathing suit that way. ;) AJ isn't as much of a spa guy as I am but is cool with my steam and sauna time. We go to Vegas often enough and those spas are awesome. It's just nice to RELAX as I'm sure you know. If we spend 1 hour a day doing separate things it's perfectly fine. Every once in a while you meet a buddy and become friends, and I'll introduce him to AJ. That's when AJ becomes "Mr. Social". LOL :rolleyes:

Oh well... enough on that topic.

Our weather was just AWESOME and I'm currently a dermatologist's worst nightmare! Hopefully the same will be said on the Pacific in October. Time will tell.

Chat soon, PEACE LOVE and ALOHA!

Welcome home...you are home aren't you? Are you still at the La Quinta? I know what you mean - I once sailed from Ft. Lauderdale and my TA thought she'd save me a few dollars by booking me into a VERY inexpensive motel. I should have known there would be trouble when the shuttle from the airport broke down on the way.

I'm hoping that AJ has recovered enough to sit down comfortably. If not, I'm hoping that you are doing your best to help by rubbing lotion on him in those sensitive spots. that's the least you can do since you instigated.

I've done the twin bed too when I've sailed with my ex (after we became exes we've still traveled together often) but if I'm by myself I want the whole damn bed...so we'll hope for that upgrade :)

It's good that you're getting your pre-tan now because you know the sun in Hawaii is intense and so you should have a base. Tell AJ I'll bring extra 50 SPF.

With our summer sojourn complete and in the rear view mirror we can look forward to this trip and those beyond. AJ is in Syracuse for the week aiding an ailing mother and I'm back to the grind.

It was great to see the Olympics focus on London, a favorite city of mine, and see how well produced the opening festivities were last night. We have a thing called "The Cape League" here which brings the best of the best College baseball players to create a summer league on the cape. I am not much of a sports lover but I ended up going to a game last night since a friend's daughter is doing a summer marketing internship with the league (She goes to Old Miss). Well, I have to tell you, those uniforms up close and personal could make me a baseball fan for sure. I mean... wow. I am considering doing an internship as towel boy in the locker room for next year. :p

On that note... Have a great day and chat soon!

Hey Chris - yes the olympic opening was very good - I too enjoyed the focus on London - I've only been there once but I enjoyed my week there. The Queen's entrance last night was a hoot ! :). I attended an opening ceremony gathering last night with friends and lots of Mexican food - I need to cut the carbs for a while so that I'm sarong presentable for the trip!!

Sorry to hear AJs mother is not well - my mom is 88 and so we go from week to week hoping for the best - she's still in good health and fairly active so that's a good thing.

Glad you're enjoying the baseball - yeah - I've always been partial to baseball players although the sport totally bores me -

You too have a great weekend - hi to AJ - and we're down to only 80 something days now!!

Archived