Star Princess Hawaii Oct 21, 2012

RMorningglory

Ouch, only 80 days! Well at least I'm not going to gain any weight eating at Chick-Fil-a. LOL

I need to totally drop booze and carbs for the next 11 weeks!! :eek:

What ever would happen if one of those spa towels couldn't quite make it all the way around. Oh the horror!!

Friends are here for the weekend so I haven't had time to miss the Big Guy, but I will ba glad to have my space to myself for a couple days when they leave today. I'm not used to having to make sure I have jammies on all the time. :o

Hope you have a great week and that you are looking forward to the 80 day countdown!

Ciao for now!

How long can it take? A jock strap and a head band and you're packed. LOL:D

Har har - if I walk around in just that you're going to need all that training you got in the muster drill because people are going to be abandoning ship. :D

I know... it's like Crickits. "Come and knock on our door".... blah blah blah. I just want to know who is Janet, who's Chrisie and who's Jack? And I'll meet you at the Regal Beagle for a Champagne Cocktail but don't tell the Ropers we're going Okay?:p

I know... it's like Crickits. "Come and knock on our door".... blah blah blah. I just want to know who is Janet, who's Chrisie and who's Jack? And I'll meet you at the Regal Beagle for a Champagne Cocktail but don't tell the Ropers we're going Okay?:p

Well I've always been kinda plain Jane, so I think that makes me Janet. I would love to head to the Regal Beagle, but you know the Ropers would probably be looking down over the balconies to see what we were up to!

Just as bad. On a lighter note... Are you flying in on the day of sailing or earlier? Our flight time on Jetblue has changed like 8 times... it fluctuates about 40 minutes. Wierd. One night on a Saturday night in SF is a tough one to book. Uggh. We love the Ritz Carlton but it's booked?? What the heck is that? I think we're going to end up at the Super 8... which sounds like a lot more fun than it is ;)... but I'm hoping i can find something decent for less than we're paying for the whole cruise.

We ended up with a balcony on Aloha toward the back of the ship. I made sure it wasn't below the pool deck (Early morning chair adjustment). We like it up there. We usually have breakfast out by the aft pool so it's easy. I also like to be high up so nobody can look down at my balcony in case I forget my robe. LOL

So I will be flying in my ex-husband's Prius that morning. I live about 40 minutes from the pier. He's going to come and to the BVE with me...we did it before when we were sailing with some friends. Kind of fun. It's going to be really funny when he starts crying when they kick him off the ship.

For places to stay, have you tried on Fisherman's Wharf? It's not far from the pier - friends from Utah come out to visit and they stay at either the Sheraton or the Raddison. It ain't the Ritz, but it will do for one night I think. You're close enough to walk to the pier and have dinner somewhere on the wharf Saturday night.

Don't you just hate it when you almost mistakenly forget to put your robe on in the warm Hawaiian trade winds? I like Aloha aft too - it's easy just to go through the doors and up to the aft pool. I still am in BE guarantee...no assignment yet. It's killing me.

I hope JetBlue doesn't change your flight time earlier or later the day of - that would suck! Good luck! (PS - I like Virgin America)...

I switched the rent a convertible to the Hilton Hawaiian Village hoping we can get there easier than all the way to the Airport. AJ has an aunt who is a nun who lives in oahu so maybe she can give us a lift down. How do you usually get from the ship to the beach?

I think you're probably right - renting at Hilton Hawaii would be much easier - it's about 10 minutes by car from the pier and if you're industrious you could even walk it.

I usually cab it down to Waikiki. My previous Honolulu rituals when not on tour have been to meet up with the early risers (you'd fit that category) at the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar (on the beach) for snacks and cocktails and then on from there. It's about $20 with tip from the pier to the Royal Hawaiian - the Hilton is half that far so even if AJ's Aunt can't get to you, that would be convenient.

They also have The Bus which I think with a $3 ticket you can ride all day, and they have the Hilo Hattie shuttle which will take you from the pier to Hilo Hatties and then from there to Waikiki FREE!! They think you might buy something at the store. I would think The Bus or another shuttle would stop at the Hilton - you won't be at a loss of ways to get there. Check out The Bus schedules online - that should tell you something.

I still don't have a cabin assignment and I'm still in BE category...so I'm starting to wonder *** is going on...?

PS - did you know that Cruise Critic edits out the three letter acronym for what the f...?

Bottom Line, AJ's Mother passed away early Tuesday Morning. This wasn't completely unexpected but it all happened much faster than any of us thought it would. She had been sick for some time and was admitted to a nursing home just two weeks ago. Need less to say it has been an emotional week. She was in Syracuse new York which is about 6 hours from us so AJ has been going there about 1 week every month for the past year and luckily was able to see her on Monday before she died. :(

As sad as it all is the fact of the matter was that she was not going to get better and was suffering pretty badly with multiple issues so her death was truly merciful. Selfishly I have been very conserned that she would get worse or die while we were away. I thought we should postpone the trip till next year but AJ was totally insistant that we were going no matter what because there was nothing more he could do. Now he wan't be worried any more and I think the timing might be perfect.

Okay... all that said, Where are the Mai Tais? I am actually considering getting a room for the day in Waikiki since we don't sail till 11 o'clock. I know it sounds a little wierd but that would mean we could hang out, shower, change for a good dinner and have a home base for the day. I've always wanted to stay at the halekulani thought what the hell... when else would I be able to do it. AJ works for Hilton so we might see if we could just get a room there but in my mind the plan is to bite the bullet and go for the big budget option! Since AJ's birthday is on the 21st I figured this would be a special birthday treat.

Also considering a Heli-tour in Kawai. Not completely sold on that one but considering it anyway.

So, How have you been. LOL I actually upgraded to a Mini-suite so I know A702 is open for sure. We are on a Guarantee so my assigned cabin is no longe assigned. I think the price for your catagory dropped. Double check as I could be wrong but the Mini price dropped which is why I bumped us up. Now I don't have an assignment but I'm not worried.

First of all, please accept my condolences on the passing of AJ's Mom and tell him my thoughts are with him. I have an 88 year old mother myself and while she's going pretty well now, I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop. It seems that right before I leave for a vacation she gets sick, so I'm always keeping the fingers crossed. I'm glad that you'll be able to take the trip anyway as it will probably be good for AJ since he's been concentrating on her health and welfare for a while.

I think getting a room in Waikiki is a novel idea, especially if you want to spend the whole day there. I think the Halekulani would be a great birthday treat for him. You're right, probably big budget but he's worth it. Can I come up and see the view? The mai tais are at the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian...best I've had, however I've heard Kona Inn serves a better one. Put a couple of mai tais and some pu pus and it just hits the spot :)

I'm doing the 10:30 helicopter tour in Kauai if you decide to book it. You know you can always book it now and cancel later on the ship (I think 36 hours before we get to Kauai) so that way you'd know you've got the spot and can change your mind later. I don't know how fast they book up.

I did finally get a cabin assignment - I'm in Caribe 622 - best of luck on your mini - have you been assigned yet? I went from a BE to a BA so I'm not able to take advantage of any price drops - but I'm satisfied with the cabin so that's OK.

Otherwise, that's about it...had a nice weekend with 7 other guys up in the mountains - one couple owns a house up there that sleeps eight and we have an annual Gay-bor Day weekend up there. Waterskiing, hiking, eating and drinking. I lost my girlish figure...

Can't believe we're nearing 45 days already! Did you ever find a place in SF?

For others who have sailed from San Francisco previously, can you give us some idea of what to expect? I'm hoping that we will have a clear evening as we sail out. Will we sail under the Golden Gate and if so how close to its belly will we be? I assume yes and am excited to do so. We cruised under the sister bridge in Lisbon last year and it was amazing. Also, how has the weather been on this crossing in the past? My tan is in serious need of a bump up as the busy summer has take its toll on the spring vacation's color. Also, how were the seas in the past?

I've been lurking over on the roll card board and saw your post. Depending on the time we sail, we might have a sunset in the west which will give the skies a pinky-orange glow which will be a perfect backdrop to pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge. Then again it might be foggy...but I got some great pictures sailing out in the fog one time - it was very thick until we got near the bridge, then you could see the towers and the superstructure with fog swirling around - quite different but just as spectactular. No matter the weather, you can't lose.

The sailing also gives you great vistas of the city as you leave, especially if it's dusk and the city is starting to light up.

And it will seem as if Star Princess will scrape the underside of the bridge, but I think there's a good 20 to 30 foot clearance...it just seems so much closer.

Weather wise, I've not done fall sailings to Hawaii and I've always sailed from Los Angeles. They say the weather is better than the spring sailings, but given we're sailing further north, it may be a bit different...but what we found was that the first couple of days would be overcast and cool, but on the third day at sea it would warm up and the lounge chairs would be full - and pool games begin!! Coming back because we're on a more southern route, it stays warm the whole way. Seas in the past have been choppy the first day or so, but then seem to smooth out...they don't call her the Pacific for nothing you know ;)

Hope that helps a little!

PS - isn't it nice to have a private board? :cool::rolleyes::mad:

Um...excuse me... It's Ga-Linda with a Ga! ;-)

No cabin yet but not that worried either. 7 Men in the woods... sounds like my kind of woods. LOL Thanks for the FYI on the bridge and weather. Never sure what to talk about on the other thread so just figure it's best to say something. Not sure they'd get my humor entirely. LOL

I was kind of waiting to see if prices drop for the 20th. We'll see. AJ is doing well as far as I can tell. He's coming home Friday. I think once all the busy work is done it will hit him, hopefully pre-cruise rather than mid-cruise. We're hoping to score sanctuary seats which is our great indulgence. It's always a crap shoot but I'm especially hopeful. It seems like the roll call on the other thread is pretty short. It was like a mile long on our TA last year I swear.

I'm working on my figure. Gave up the hooch a week ago last Sunday and won't have any till the Cruise. I should swell up like a tick once I go back to my Martinis! LOL :rolleyes:

Oh well... you want to play you have to pay!

(Exit left via Bubble)

I should probably do an alcohol fast before the cruise as well - but I have a hard time passing up my glass of wine with dinner. Maybe just half a glass. Besides, I have to be in shape for the alcohol fest when I get on board.

So I told you about my ex bringing me to the pier in his juiced up Prius (as juiced as a Prius can be). He's going to come on board for the Bon Voyage Experience - we get to be on the ship at 11:00. Although last time I had friends with me for the BVE, they were giving me **** about getting on board with them because it wasn't my time to board yet. The nerve.

Anyway I was thinking I could see about making reservations for you at Sanctuary, but I'm betting a cruise card is a requirement...just get there early and high tail it up there even before you get to your cabin...you'll get a spot.

We'll have to trade cell numbers so that we can find each other when we get on board.

Looking forward to the trip...

Exit in a burst of flame and a cloud of smoke - goodness what a smell of sulfur.

Archived