Please simplify Crown and Anchor for a Newbie

I received an e-mail today from Crown and Anchor asking us to 'verify' the account. I clicked on it and then spent way too much time turning in circles through the web-site.

It said we had 8 points. We have done one 10 day cruise in Australia with an inside cabin. Tried to find a link that show how points are calculated and accumulate.

I feel really stupid as I don't seem to be able to solve this on the C & A web-site on my own.

What do they want to verify?

How are points acquired? I have read that suites get double.

I received an e-mail today from Crown and Anchor asking us to 'verify' the account. I clicked on it and then spent way too much time turning in circles through the web-site.

It said we had 8 points. We have done one 10 day cruise in Australia with an inside cabin. Tried to find a link that show how points are calculated and accumulate.

I feel really stupid as I don't seem to be able to solve this on the C & A web-site on my own.

With current rules, you get one point for every night at sea, 2 points if in a suite.

However, your previous cruise on Royal was under old rules, one cruise credit per cruise, except for suites and 12+ night cruises, which yours wasn't.

The old cruise credits were converted to points in Jan 2011, and your one credit converted to 8 points. No bearing was given to how many nights you spent on previous cruises. Royal simply applied a formula to convert old credits to new points.

No idea what they want to verify.

You cruise was taken before they changed the system, so your cruise would have counted for 1 cruise credit in the old system. When they changed it to a nights system, it got converted to 8 points.

From now on you will get one cruise point for every night you are on a cruise, double if you are in a Junior suite or higher.

Oops...I got beat. Sorry for the double post.

Prior to January 21, 2011, all cruises taken earned you 1 cruise credit. If you stayed in a JS cabin or above you earned an additional credit and if your cruise was 12+ days or longer you earned an additional credit. Thus, the max number of credits you could earn on any one sailing was 3.

That all changed after January 21, 2011 when now you earn 1 cruse point for each night you cruise and those points will be doubled if you are booked in and have paid for a JS cabin or above (complimentary upgrades no longer get you additional points).

It appears that you had 1 cruise credit from your Australian cruise. When they converted last January you got 7 points for that credit plus 1 which would give you 8 points. Since they are having some technical problems since last December, it looks like they just want you to verify that you do have 8 points.

Here is a link regarding RCCL's New C&A Conversion Table

Edit.........at least we all gave the OP the same answer.:D

Thanks, that helps explain the 8 points for a 10 night cruise.

Looks like this conversion benefited those that took short cruises.:mad:

Still not sure what the e-mail was for and what they want to verify.

One day I'll have time and call as the links had me turning in circles.

Thanks, that helps explain the 8 points for a 10 night cruise.

Still not sure what the e-mail was for and what they want to verify.

One day I'll have time and call as the links had me turning in circles.

Actually, it was the old rules that benefited those who took short cruises. The conversion kept everyone in the same position relative to one another.

I agree...we had cruises like yours, and when the conversion took place, we ended up with fewer nights than the actual number of nights at sea we spent. That being said, the new system seems more fair, I just wish they had done a better job figuring out the conversion.

I agree...we had cruises like yours, and when the conversion took place, we ended up with fewer nights than the actual number of nights at sea we spent. That being said, the new system seems more fair, I just wish they had done a better job figuring out the conversion.

Overall I think they did a pretty good job & most people retained their same level which was very important. Can you imagine the uproar if instead of converting points they just applied the new criteria to everyone? There would have been lot of PO'd former D & D+ C & A members.

We also ended up with fewer points than the number of nights cruised but I bet there are a lot less people like us than those that scored 8 points for their 3 & 4 day cruises. In the long run, the new system levels the playing field for those of us not lucky enough to live close to a port.

Its hard for me to understand as well. I currently have 13 points and have only spent 8 nights at sea on a RCI ship (not that Im complaining!:) )............I will have 20 points after my Freedom cruise the way I understand it now, right?

Its hard for me to understand as well. I currently have 13 points and have only spent 8 nights at sea on a RCI ship (not that Im complaining!:) )............I will have 20 points after my Freedom cruise the way I understand it now, right?

Yes, if your Freedom cruise is 7 nights & you're not in a suite.

Overall I think they did a pretty good job & most people retained their same level which was very important. Can you imagine the uproar if instead of converting points they just applied the new criteria to everyone? There would have been lot of PO'd former D & D+ C & A members.

We also ended up with fewer points than the number of nights cruised but I bet there are a lot less people like us than those that scored 8 points for their 3 & 4 day cruises. In the long run, the new system levels the playing field for those of us not lucky enough to live close to a port.

I guess my point is they figure this out using computers. Any sand boxing or test run, would have uncovered the fact that some people were going to end up with less points than nights. They could have then modified their calculation to account for that. OTOH, discussing computing and RCI is a waste.

Your cruise on Monarch in May of 2010 earned you 1 cruise credit. Back then you got 1 credit for cruises up to 11 days. When they did the conversion in January of 2011, that 1 cruise credit turned into 8 points. RCCL's New C&A Conversion Table

When you did your cruise on Radiance in February of 2011, I'll bet it was a 5 night cruise. :D If so, then you got 1 point for each night which totaled 5 cruise points added to the 8 you already had gives you your current total of 13.

OP- anytime I get a request to verify information I am very skeptical about responding. "Verify the account" typically means plugging in information, passwords, etc. Best to call them.

Don't want to sound like an alarmist and it probably isn't anything, but it is unsolicited and I wouldn't send information over the internet unless I made the initial contact.

OP- anytime I get a request to verify information I am very skeptical about responding. "Verify the account" typically means plugging in information, passwords, etc. Best to call them.

Don't want to sound like an alarmist and it probably isn't anything, but it is unsolicited and I wouldn't send information over the internet unless I made the initial contact.

You are so right! When I get an email like that, I never use the link provided in the email. If I think the email is valid, I go to the site using my own link. That way i can verify my information is secure & I'm not going to a dummy site & giving information to people that shouldn't have it.

Your cruise on Monarch in May of 2010 earned you 1 cruise credit. Back then you got 1 credit for cruises up to 11 days. When they did the conversion in January of 2011, that 1 cruise credit turned into 8 points. RCCL's New C&A Conversion Table

When you did your cruise on Radiance in February of 2011, I'll bet it was a 5 night cruise. :D If so, then you got 1 point for each night which totaled 5 cruise points added to the 8 you already had gives you your current total of 13.

Correct! The Radiance cruise was a 5 nighter out of Tampa (I LOVED that ship and crew!) :) Thank you for the explanation! It all makes perfect sense now :)

I guess my point is they figure this out using computers. Any sand boxing or test run, would have uncovered the fact that some people were going to end up with less points than nights. They could have then modified their calculation to account for that. OTOH, discussing computing and RCI is a waste.

You are making the assumption that Royal wanted to account for nights sailed before Jan 2011. They specifically did not want to account for nights sailed because this would have been changing the C&A rules retroactively. Their method of conversion that took into account only the old credits was by design, not a mistake or oversight.

You are making the assumption that Royal wanted to account for nights sailed before Jan 2011. They specifically did not want to account for nights sailed because this would have been changing the C&A rules retroactively. Their method of conversion that took into account only the old credits was by design, not a mistake or oversight.

No, I'm making the assumption that they did not take into account the customer backlash, but, since they made me whole again, it's a moot point.

You are so right! When I get an email like that, I never use the link provided in the email. If I think the email is valid, I go to the site using my own link. That way i can verify my information is secure & I'm not going to a dummy site & giving information to people that shouldn't have it.

Spot on! Some of these dummy sites look exactly like the actual business site;)

Archived