May In Bermuda

janetz

By late May the water is warm enough unless you're one of those people who expects summer in the Caribbean-like water temperatures.

Weather overall is anyone's guess. We've been to Bermuda in every month of the April to October cruise season and have never run into more than the occasional rainy afternoon, but there are never any guarantees when it comes to weather in the North Atlantic.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there the latter part of June last year and for us the water was a bit too chilly. We weren't the only ones, many people were surprised that the water wasn't warmer by then. I guess it depends on the individual but for us maybe first or second week in July the water temp would be ideal. I would love to go to Bermuda in May, but because we like swimming in the ocean, we wouldn't go then. Just our preference and opinion.

We did an April 20th cruise to Bermuda a couple of years ago. Waters were rough on way down, but pretty good coming back. Weather was pleasant by NY standards for that time of year, but obviously not summertime balmy! We snorkeled on two occasions, and I'd say the water temps were a little brisk, but not really much worse than we'd get on Long Island in say late July. Of course the locals won't go in the water that time of the year, but as I said as a NY'er it was fine.

We are wondering something similar: what are the sea days like traveling from NJ to Bermuda and back in May? We have sailed the Atlantic many times but not at this time of year.

On an April cruise a couple of years ago the waters were pretty rough on way down, and out of our party of six, three were usually not feeling too good.

We've been so lucky so far. No matter which month we've sailed in during the cruise season out of Boston, we've have relatively good weather and seas. We've even been between hurricanes. As njhorseman says: there's never any guarantees...

I still take my bonine every cruise to be on the 'safe' side from the motion of the ocean.

We're going in mid-May from NYC. We went to Bermuda in mid-April last year from Baltimore, and it was one heck of a ride!! DH and I enjoyed it, but there were a couple sea days where it was pretty windy on deck.

I thought the weather in Bermuda was absolutely perfect - we had plenty of sun and clear skies - really, the weather could not have been better. It was relatively cool in the mornings, and it warmed up pretty well by late morning. I would have liked to go in April again, but I think the water may be warmer in May - we didn't swim last year.

Either way, I'm looking forward to going back to this beautiful place - the bumpy ride is well worth it!

We're going in mid-May from NYC. We went to Bermuda in mid-April last year from Baltimore, and it was one heck of a ride!! DH and I enjoyed it, but there were a couple sea days where it was pretty windy on deck.

I thought the weather in Bermuda was absolutely perfect - we had plenty of sun and clear skies - really, the weather could not have been better. It was relatively cool in the mornings, and it warmed up pretty well by late morning. I would have liked to go in April again, but I think the water may be warmer in May - we didn't swim last year.

Either way, I'm looking forward to going back to this beautiful place - the bumpy ride is well worth it!

Last year's average water temperature in April was 68 F; May was only 4 degrees warmer (72 F). I don't know about most, but that's way too chilly for me.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Jawas, your photos of Bermuda are gorgeous! Great eye!

We stopped in Bermuda for the day sailing back from Europe in November and that wasn't nearly long enough to take in all the beauty.

I was wondering about air temperature on sea days--60s, 70s? I realize it is hard to predict. Just wondering if we will be sitting out in the sun or sitting inside doing other things.

We sailed to Bermuda last year on May 10th. It was unseasonably chilly. We saw no one in the pools. There was alot to do during the sea days and the time flew by. The island was sunny and in the 70s. DS and DDL did Dolfin Quest and were comfortable. I went up to my thighs one day at Horseshoe Bay and was ok. The other days were too cool for me. It was the first time we had been to Bermuda in May and took advantage of the mild weather to do more of the exploring and had a blast. We,ve been there twice in June and once in August. The water was the warmest in August but the clarity for snorkeling wasn't quite as good. We are going in June this year and we saw something about the gulf stream actually being warmer this year which should make the waters around Bermuda warm up earlier,:D

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Jawas, your photos of Bermuda are gorgeous! Great eye!

We stopped in Bermuda for the day sailing back from Europe in November and that wasn't nearly long enough to take in all the beauty.

I was wondering about air temperature on sea days--60s, 70s? I realize it is hard to predict. Just wondering if we will be sitting out in the sun or sitting inside doing other things.

Thank you Violet :)

Archived