Mobile Phones and Best Options Available

Aussie71

My teenager has a question with regard to his mobile (smart) phone, reception, and wi-fi internet. Should he swap the SIM for a Telstra International pre-paid SIM once we depart?

We have a wi-fi router modem that we usually travel with for connecting a notebook which were also considering swapping the SIM for a Telstra International pre-paid SIM, rather than relying on the ships internet facilities.

I guess I am thinking how we operate as a family when we travel overseas and we have never taken the cruise option. I am just not sure these international SIM's will work and some members within the family cannot imagine spending 7 days away from mobile phone and internet access.

I guess I do not want to put a heap of money on Pre-paid SIMs if we cannot use them or there is a better option available.

I am sure that it would be easier to have a holiday from these devices, however it just not going to happen. Hubby also needs connection for work purposes.

All suggestions welcome.

My teenager has a question with regard to his mobile (smart) phone, reception, and wi-fi internet. Should he swap the SIM for a Telstra International pre-paid SIM once we depart?

We have a wi-fi router modem that we usually travel with for connecting a notebook which were also considering swapping the SIM for a Telstra International pre-paid SIM, rather than relying on the ships internet facilities.

I guess I am thinking how we operate as a family when we travel overseas and we have never taken the cruise option. I am just not sure these international SIM's will work and some members within the family cannot imagine spending 7 days away from mobile phone and internet access.

I guess I do not want to put a heap of money on Pre-paid SIMs if we cannot use them or there is a better option available.

I am sure that it would be easier to have a holiday from these devices, however it just not going to happen. Hubby also needs connection for work purposes.

All suggestions welcome.

Aussie the easy way is to get international roaming on your mobile and to text only as its a lot cheaper or for emergencies phone home as a last resort and for the internet you have to go on a ships plan or pay 75c per minute plus a $3.95 set up fee

All suggestions welcome.

With exception of your hubbys work I would have to agree with you about the rest of the family could do with a 7 day hol away from the net, phones.

All options could work out to be very expensive. My partner's overseas bill was around $2500 for 3 weeks and most of that was data charges for Facebook and email, etc. I would access the onboard Internet if I were you. I love my iPhone too but if your son is really gonna enjoy his holiday and get away from civilization (and it's only 7 days), he should do it without his mobile. Otherwise he'll miss all the great things happening around him cos he was on twitter or texting his friends. :)

Thanks for the advice Finetuneit. I agree that he really doen't need it and am deep down hoping that once we are on board he will forget about it. We went through this when he went on a snowboarding holiday winter just gone. I think overall he found his phone distracting and he had to experience that himself - but like all teenagers if he feels like he will be cut off from 'the real world' if he cannot access one.

Because the hubby needs access for work, I am thinking about getting an International Roaming Data Pack (pre-paid). It looks like they are currently available to Telsta Consumer customers. But what is crappy, from what I can ascertain it looks like only two (2) packs available. Maybe we just get one for hubby's phone and teenager can use when permitted! The family will just have to share.

International Roaming Data Packs are only available to customers with a 13 digit account number (refer to top right hand corner of your Telstra bill).

Our International Data roaming Packs incur a once off charge each time you purchase and the options are:

$29 - which includes a data allowance of 10MB (charged per kB or part) which equates to $150 worth of included data to use in selected countries for 30 days

$160 - which includes a data allowance of 60MB (charged per kB or part) which equates to $900 worth of included data to use in selected countries for 30 days

International Roaming Packs expire 30 days after it is applied to your service. Any unused included data allowance will be forfeited at the end of this period.

Source [online]: telstra.com.au/mobile/internat_roaming/data-plus-packs.htm

Because the hubby needs access for work, I am thinking about getting an International Roaming Data Pack (pre-paid). It looks like they are currently available to Telsta Consumer customers. But what is crappy, from what I can ascertain it looks like only two (2) packs available. Maybe we just get one for hubby's phone and teenager can use when permitted! The family will just have to share.
This probably sounds like a good option. And then (although he may not like it) you can kinda force your son to not be glued to his phone (cos he won't be permitted to use it). ;) :D

This probably sounds like a good option. And then (although he may not like it) you can kinda force your son to not be glued to his phone (cos he won't be permitted to use it). ;) :D
What a great idea.

If it's any comfort, Aussie, DH and I are addicted to our computers, I even more so. The minute I get up in the morning or come home after going out, I switch my laptop on and get my emails down etc etc. However, I usually take it on board ship and am pleased to say I hardly ever use it. Last cruise I didn't even take it out of the bag!! and I certainly don't do all the activities a young person would do. We use an internet cafe at some ports if I think my mail would have mounted up too much or wish to send one. That's the cheapest and FASTEST option. Hopefully your son won't get withdrawal symptoms. :D

Thanks for the advice Finetuneit. I agree that he really doen't need it and am deep down hoping that once we are on board he will forget about it. We went through this when he went on a snowboarding holiday winter just gone. I think overall he found his phone distracting and he had to experience that himself - but like all teenagers if he feels like he will be cut off from 'the real world' if he cannot access one.

International Roaming Data Packs are only available to customers with a 13 digit account number (refer to top right hand corner of your Telstra bill).

Our International Data roaming Packs incur a once off charge each time you purchase and the options are:

$29 - which includes a data allowance of 10MB (charged per kB or part) which equates to $150 worth of included data to use in selected countries for 30 days

$160 - which includes a data allowance of 60MB (charged per kB or part) which equates to $900 worth of included data to use in selected countries for 30 days

International Roaming Packs expire 30 days after it is applied to your service. Any unused included data allowance will be forfeited at the end of this period.

Source [online]: telstra.com.au/mobile/internat_roaming/data-plus-packs.htm

Aussie before you get the data pack check it first because you dont want a big bill when you get home

Originally Posted by rkmw

Aussie before you get the data pack check it first because you dont want a big bill when you get home

Yes I agree, I think it will be best to investigate the pre-paid data packs. I definately do not want 'Holiday bill shock' to tarnish our holiday memories. I will contact both Telstra and Optus to see what they offer.

I have looked at the Travel SIM cards (travelsim dot net dot au) prepaid International SIM cards for Australian Travellers going overseas. This option is not applicable for the P&O Cruise ship, but may assist other travellers.

TravelSIM Home > Knowledgebase > TravelSIM on Cruise liners

Seanet Maritime are the provider that supply's mobile services on cruise ships that TravelSIM partners with.

The ships that are covered are found in the below link.

[there is a link on the web site specifiying the specific cruise ships that this Telco is parterned with]

If the ship you are going on is not listed this means it will not work.

NOTE: P&O, Princess and Holland America lines are not covered by Seanet

Updated: Tuesday 10th January 2012

Source [online]: www dot travelsim dot net dot au

Remember that those Telstra International packs are for SELECT COUNTRIES ONLY. Everything else will be charged at the stupidly high roaming rates. This means that on ship roaming, and a lot of the ports that aussie cruise ships go to in the pacific (except NZ) will NOT be included.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/internat_roaming/data-plus-packs.htm#countries

There are packages you can buy when you're on-board. I don't remember the prices because we didn't use it, but someone else may know. You can either use the ship's computers, or access it via wifi. I think the wifi is only available in some of the public areas though, not in your cabin.

Archived