What's the earliest you've ever arrived for a cruise?

klo28910

This probably sounds strange, but my friend and I have somehow challenged each other to try to be one of the first passengers on our upcoming cruise. (We are crazy competitive. lol) Anyhow, what is the earliest you've ever shown up at the port? How many people were "in line" before you? I'm wondering what time we would have to get there to actually pull this off. We are sailing out of Galveston on the Triumph. Thanks for humoring me :)

This probably sounds strange, but my friend and I have somehow challenged each other to try to be one of the first passengers on our upcoming cruise. (We are crazy competitive. lol) Anyhow, what is the earliest you've ever shown up at the port? How many people were "in line" before you? I'm wondering what time we would have to get there to actually pull this off. We are sailing out of Galveston on the Triumph. Thanks for humoring me :)

Wedding parties are always allowed to board first. Then platinum and suite guest board. In order to board first you have to be part of a wedding party.

For our first Platinum cruise on the Triumph out of NYC, we were the second family on board.

Nothing like heading straight to the Lido Deck and being the first one's to arrive!!

Catrin

I usually get to the port around 10am and walk right through the screeners. I usually get a # 1 card for boarding. I have trouble standing so for me I would rather SIT inside for an hour than stand for an hour in line.

But you need to remember that people doing B2B cruises, all wedding parties, VIP (suites) and Platinum guests will board before you.

We sailed out of Jacksonville last December. When we returned, we pulled into port around 6:00am. We looked out the window and there was already a line of cars lined up to go into the parking area! :eek:

On the Grandeur of the Seas out of Tampa a couple of years ago. we arrived at the port around 11 and since I was platinum with RCCL (which only takes 5 cruises) we were the only ones in the VIP area. There were donuts and coffee and cocoa and juice and we were the very first ones to board the ship. There was a wedding party ahead of us, but they apparently were pretty disorganized, so the RCCL people told us to go ahead of them.

It was pretty cool walking onto the ship and up to the lido deck without seeing another person except for crew members. :)

If you really want to be the first on board then do a back2back.

It may not help any on the first leg of the cruise but I have been the first on board even before the wedding people on 2 of my cruises.

The last one off of the ship then get my new card and then the first one back on the ship.

It also helps to be platinum.

Even if you are not platinum, if you get to the terminal about 10am (and things are going smooth and normal) then you may be on board by 10:30 or 11.

remember - Things that can really mess up times like fog, the port is closed, medical emergencies, rough water...... etc should be taken into consideration.

a positive attitude always helps - you are on vacation :)

a positive attitude always helps - you are on vacation :)

I have several times when I become very anxious. The first is getting to the day when we leave without illness or accident or anything that keeps me from leaving. Then getting out of Denver- without a blizzard. Then I am there- where ever "there" might be. The next is getting from the hotel to the ship. A car crash, an accident blocking the roads, fog or weather keeping the ship from docking. Once I am there, the ship close enough to touch, waiting in line is fine- all the possible moments of "I'm not going to get there" are past and I know I will board the ship.

I think Carnival should start charging fees for early boarding.

Say $30 per person for anyone who wants to board before noon.

I need to email that suggestion, anyone know Richard Faines address?

No way- terrible idea. There are 4 of us. Another $120? Please- do not email this idea!

In February of 2009, 4 night out of New Orleans on Carnival Fantasy. We arrived at port about 10 AM, had VIP. No wedding parties, no special needs. We were the first on the ship at 11 AM. It was really weird and empty.

Never had that happen again. Not sure I really enjoyed it either.

Probably noon... I always say one day I will be there super early, but it never works out except for last January. We stayed with one of my cousins in Tampa and we could walk from her condo to the ship. So we got there pretty early --- only reason I remember is that we got on the ship in probably 10 minutes and easily got a seat for lunch (was not crowded at all, which is weird as compared to other cruises I have been on).

We were there *I think* around 830ish. There was only a handful of people there. We weren't planning on being there so early but we woke up early, saw the ship and decided to head over and watch them load up the food and such. It was our first cruise so we just thought it would be neat to see the volume of stuff getting loaded. We obviously were in group 1.

The earliest for me was about 6am I believe. Of course we had a 13 or 14 hour drive, so we budgeted extra time in case there was a delay or car trouble

What sucked was not being able to get on Destiny until around 4pm because of ship problems.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

I have several times when I become very anxious. The first is getting to the day when we leave without illness or accident or anything that keeps me from leaving. Then getting out of Denver- without a blizzard. Then I am there- where ever "there" might be. The next is getting from the hotel to the ship. A car crash, an accident blocking the roads, fog or weather keeping the ship from docking. Once I am there, the ship close enough to touch, waiting in line is fine- all the possible moments of "I'm not going to get there" are past and I know I will board the ship.

I feel exactly the same way. I can't relax until I get to the port (and have my paperwork in hand, ready for the terminal workers). This is even the case when all I have to do is drive an hour to the port. I am just a worry wort.;)

It's really not that hard to check in early. We have taken two Dream cruises out of Port Canaveral and both times were were there a bit after 9. We weren't first, but there was no line--just walk up to the counter and then take your seat in the first queue area. :)

Galveston port will allow people to check in fairly early. I got there, through security, and checked in by 10:30am. I am VIP, so that being said, I was on the ship after the two weddings got onboard. Once the weddings went on we went and were onboard at 11:05am. Now, since you haven't said you are Platinum or VIP (suite) then you'll be called by the boarding numbers, so you won't be one of the first groups on the ship, but you'll be on early enough to enjoy a nice lunch and a few drinks before you explore the ships interior. Cabins won't open up until around 120pm...

The earliest I have arrived is 10:30am and I was the first one to board the ship.

The following is from my review ...

Nonetheless, I did get my luggage. $20 plus tip and 30 minutes later the taxi dropped me off at the dock. It's 10:30am and I'm hoping that they will begin the check in process around 11:00. While I am able to check my luggage, it appears check in will not start until about noon.

So, here I am, sitting in a luggage cart and playing FreeCell on my computer when a lady steps out of the door, looks right at me and says, you've been sitting here a long time. Do you want to come in? Of course I do. In a few minutes I am checked in, I have my SeaPass and I am the first one to board the ship.

Archived