How Much More Than Suggested Gratuity?

jkcruisecritic1

Hi,

15 extended family just back from the Wonder Riviera NY's cruise. Everyone had a great time!

For future reference...

If you feel that the service (both dining and room) are excellent, how much more do you tip than the suggested tip? 10%? 50%? On a quick search, someone mentioned tipping 150-200% plus calling cards for exceptional service - is this normal?

How normal is it to tip the kids' club people?

Thanks!

Jim

Hi,

15 extended family just back from the Wonder Riviera NY's cruise. Everyone had a great time!

For future reference...

If you feel that the service (both dining and room) are excellent, how much more do you tip than the suggested tip? 10%? 50%? On a quick search, someone mentioned tipping 150-200% plus calling cards for exceptional service - is this normal?

Thanks!

Jim

On the cruise we just finished we had the pre-paid and just through in an extra $20. I am not sure how that comes out for a percent. I also give the room Steward a $20 at the beginning of the cruise where they take extra care of us and do not get upset when my son leaves a mess when I am not there. I was told on our last cruise that we were not allowed to tip the kids club staff.

I agree that tipping should be according to level of service. That being said I am not a fan of Disney's rotating restaurants, I think the food is sub par. Again, just my opinion. We eat at these restaurants for pirate night only, to share that experience with our kids. That means we have to tip at Palo/Remy and their service and quality of food is phenomenal, so our tips are high. This is why I do not tip extra for the dining room crew. I leave the general 12 per person per day. We do however add tips to other people that are extra helpful. Normally who cleans the stateroom, an extra 35.00 or so for a 7 night cruise, which is what I would leave in a 5 star hotel.

I am curious to know if people tip additional in the rotating restaurants if they are eating at the specialty restaurants?

We usually do the "suggested" tips and add on for special service. Generally I think we've added to the tips about 50-75% of the time. The additional amount depends on what the special service was/involved.

Yes, we have paid additional tips to the dining room servers, even when we have eaten dinner at Palo. And we tipped extra at Palo.

:)

Hi,

For future reference...

Thanks!

Jim

That depends on the service you receive. Our DCL waiter went way over and above normal duties, and we compensated him quite well for it.

Thanks, can you provide any insight into "compensated quite well" translates to in terms of dollars or percentage.

We felt that our server did well with extra services - a cake 2 nights - and gave an extra ~$25 per stateroom - 4 in our large party. So about and extra $100 for our 7 night cruise. Is this too little?

Sorry to keep asking for specifics, but I just have no frame of reference as to what amount can be considered tipping well vs being stingy.

Thanks, can you provide any insight into "compensated quite well" translates to in terms of dollars or percentage.

We felt that our server did well with extra services - a cake 2 nights - and gave an extra ~$25 per stateroom - 4 in our large party. So about and extra $100 for our 7 night cruise. Is this too little?

Sorry to keep asking for specifics, but I just have no frame of reference as to what amount can be considered tipping well vs being stingy.

As long as you keep the "suggested" tips in place, I feel that the extra tipping is a personal choice, not a specific number.

Tipping extra for a special service is totally up to you as the giver. What you feel the extra was worth to you.

"Compensated well" can mean different things to different people. Doing something above and beyond by the servers or room host may be worth $20 to one person, while it's worth $100 to another. Same service, different views of the value of the service.

:)

That depends on the service you receive. Our DCL waiter went way over and above normal duties, and we compensated him quite well for it.

We gave our head DCL and our assistant DCL waitress an extra $50 each. This was passed to them on the breakfast the morning we were leaving. In an envelope. They really went above and beyond for us, and we really appreciated it (we had two birthdays on the cruise).

That being said we also gave our Room steward $50 for his exceptional service as well.

Tipping is a personal choice. Tip based on the level of service you received and how special you felt treated.

PS; Our food in the restaurant was exceptional as well, on the rotating nights. I love the waiter/waitress following us from restaurant to restaurant. Having said that we were also blessed with great people to dine with which helped.

:):D

Archived