Working class couple - is a Cunard transatlantic cruise for us?

justjr7

Very odd that the OP has never responded to any of these posts. Maybe a Cunard planted post?:eek:

Jim, Jim, how cynical of you. Clearly the OP was simply so encouraged by all the positive responses that she booked a last minute cabin on QM2 and is off on the World Cruise even as we speak :D:D

J

Jim, Jim, how cynical of you. Clearly the OP was simply so encouraged by all the positive responses that she booked a last minute cabin on QM2 and is off on the World Cruise even as we speak :D:D

J

then we can expect on board postings, review, and especially PolAcker comments.:eek::D It has been rather positive on this thread. Nice to see as our QV time is rapidly approaching. :D

then we can expect on board postings, review, and especially PolAcker comments.:eek::D It has been rather positive on this thread. Nice to see as our QV time is rapidly approaching. :D

I wish my QV time was approaching as rapidly as yours. Still, at least me and the cruise are both in the same year now!

J

I wish my QV time was approaching as rapidly as yours. Still, at least me and the cruise are both in the same year now!

J

Wish you were sailing with us. My Wife and I have had much fun in Old York. We seem to get on well with Old Yorkshiremen (and women).:eek::D

J

Ha ha! You figured it out!

Good one!

To be honest, if you have sailed with Celebrity then you'll be fine on the Cunard Line.

One of the most alluring thing about Cunard is the fact that you get a true, complete cross-section of society on most sailings, through the QG, PG, Britannia, etc.

On the matter of class, I personally think that the old model of the ''working'' class is out-of-date. To say we have no class has no logic, simply the old system doesn't work anymore. As previously stated, the number of people who are born without ever having to work is dwindling with every passing year.

A man I have come to know relatively well through my father was born very poor- they lived in a house with no toilet even. He worked for every penny, and is today known around the country for being one of the most affluent individuals. In fact, he has crossed the Atlantic on QE2 17 times in the Queen Elizabeth Suite, coming back on Concorde in the opposite direction. I bring up his example to show that this man will refer himself as ''working'' class no matter how much is in the bank account- for working class today cannot be defined in the way that it has been in the past.

In 2013 my husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. I am very keen to enjoy the classic cruise - one of the Queens Southampton to New York. My husband has several reservations

(a) will it be too rich blooded for us - we both consider ourselves to be working class

(b) how will he fill in the days at sea and

© the weather.

Any and all feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Jenni

Dear Jenni!

This was exactly our situation in 2005 when we had our 25 anniversary and thought the same as you.

Then we booked our very first ever cruise and this we did on QM2 and since then we so fell in love with cruising that we collecteced more then 70 days on Cunard and many other days on HAL etc.. So you see that will be an experience of a life time you'll not forget. Go westbound so you have an extra hour every day, which makes great fun in addition.

Btw. to me there is no real "working class" (which we belong to as well). It's more a supporting class, because the hard working people are the ones who support the rest of the society.

Kind regards

What could be better?

In our crazy, fast paced, hurry up world, if nothing else, cruising forces us to slow down, relax and enjoy! We just love it!

So true suzyed, it is nice to be able to chill and relax. So pleased I found cruising for our holidays. Poor hubby just has to go along with it now. Don't want to holiday any other way.

Catherine

Very odd that the OP has never responded to any of these posts. Maybe a Cunard planted post?:eek:

I don't think so. It's pretty standard behaviour for a 'you know what'.

I wonder if people also visit the Seabourn, Crystal and Hapag-Loyd boards to get reassurance that they'll fit in?

To be honest, if you have sailed with Celebrity then you'll be fine on the Cunard Line.

One of the most alluring thing about Cunard is the fact that you get a true, complete cross-section of society on most sailings, through the QG, PG, Britannia, etc.

On the matter of class, I personally think that the old model of the ''working'' class is out-of-date. To say we have no class has no logic, simply the old system doesn't work anymore. As previously stated, the number of people who are born without ever having to work is dwindling with every passing year.

It depends how you define it; as an income bracket, or the kind of person you are. In one sense, one can have "class" and come from any background, because of the substance of one's character. You also find fools from all backgrounds. But let's face it, we grow up in different environments with different behaviors and habits and it is these differences that separate at times, as we humans are still primitive and tribal. I like to try to see the person under the exterior in all people, but I suppose in our rushed world, people often generalize and simplify and make quick judgments based on externals.

I just heard that there are now 6 dead! What a tragedy! :(

Sad news indeed.

The word "panic" was used repeatedly in the above mentioned news account. BTW, most of us have witnessed the crew practicing emergency drills on QM2 on every voyage. -including my recent voyage where I watched cabin stewards being instructed on how to work the life boats. On a previous voyage, I even encountered staff from salon who where taking part in emergency exercises. No question in my mind that members of the crew undergo frequent emergency training. And from my encounters with fellow passengers, I would like to believe that we would not panic; we will keep calm and follow instructions.

Best wishes to The Costa Concordia, her passengers and crew.

Listened to a member of the crew talking about the panic. I could imagine it having experienced the pushing and shoving just to get down the stairs to a tender in normal conditions. He said a lot of people were trapped in their cabins!

To the OP Jenni, just do it! You will meet all sorts of people. We were the same on our first crossing. TBH, my DH wanted to go & I just saw it as way to get to NYC. I have to say it changed our lives. We fell in love with Cunard & have just booked out 12th voyage with them (our 6th crossing) We can't wait :D

On the terrible accident on the Costa ship, I wonder if the folk who still through the muster drill, playing with the velcro on their life jackets will pay a bit more attention from now on ;)

Weird that it happened on Friday 13th & so close to the 100th anniversary of Titanic:eek:

I just heard that there are now 6 dead! What a tragedy! :(

This is dreadful news. I can't help but think of all the elderly people that are typically on cruise lines. And I believe Costa attracts a large number of families with children.

Anyway you cut it, a real tragedy.

I was also thinking of all the passengers that don't pay attention during muster drill, but in this case I'm not certain it would have made a difference. It would have been difficult to launch lifeboats with such a severe list.

I'm off to read more news and to check out the Costa board.

And to the OP. If you took every automobile accident into account, you'd never drive. This is a rare, albeit, terrible event, but the odds are still in your favor. Book it and have a good time.

Archived