Pls help us decide....Jacques Pepin Cruise (May 12, 2012 on Marina)

cruzers j&n

Hi fellow CCs: we are currently booked on the May 12 sailing from Barcelona to Rome w/Marina. Special highlight is that it will be a Jacques Pepin sailing. For those that have been on a JP sailing previously, is it that much better than the typical Oceania experience? This will be first Oceania cruise for us (have only been on Regent twice before) and being from the NYC area, love good food (but don't need fancy food; simple good food is fine). Cruise would pretty much wipe out hubby's vacation allotment for year as we would stay in Barcelona pre-cruise not to mention pretty expensive for our typical vacation spend (we could take 2 land vacations with the price for the cruise). I don't anticipate JP doing many more of these sailings so we are on the fence on this one. Oh - and the ports seem pretty nice too...we have only been to Florence/Rome so not a bunch of repeats. So, what do you think?? Please help us decide and thanks so much for your valuable input. :confused:

Hi fellow CCs: we are currently booked on the May 12 sailing from Barcelona to Rome w/Marina. Special highlight is that it will be a Jacques Pepin sailing. For those that have been on a JP sailing previously, is it that much better than the typical Oceania experience? This will be first Oceania cruise for us (have only been on Regent twice before) and being from the NYC area, love good food (but don't need fancy food; simple good food is fine). Cruise would pretty much wipe out hubby's vacation allotment for year as we would stay in Barcelona pre-cruise not to mention pretty expensive for our typical vacation spend (we could take 2 land vacations with the price for the cruise). I don't anticipate JP doing many more of these sailings so we are on the fence on this one. Oh - and the ports seem pretty nice too...we have only been to Florence/Rome so not a bunch of repeats. So, what do you think?? Please help us decide and thanks so much for your valuable input. :confused:

Big plus from my point of view: You begin and end in different ports so you have the opportunity to add time at the beginning and and of trip for more in depth exploration.

Question: When will Jacques Pepin be doing his thing on this cruise? I've looked at the itinerary for this May 12 sailing and there's not a single at-sea day. The list of ports is quite wonderful so I'd sure hate to think that cruisers would have to chose between time on land and attending a Jacques Pepin presentation.

We are booked on this cruise because of JP being onboard. I do wonder when the cooking classes will be offered. Maybe we cook our own dinner? or dessert? With no sea days we need to plan excursions carefully as they take a lot of $$$ and energy.

We were on the JP cruise this Aug. The only cooking class by him was a demo in the lounge. I took 2 classes in the school, he visited one very briefly. These classes are wonderful. Pat

We were on the JP cruise from Dover to Rome. He was very available, approachable and enjoyed meeting people on the cruise. Was not snobby or aloof and visited the cooking classes as he had to pass the class to get to his state room. He also attended with his colleagues, the wine tasting in his restaurant as well as a presentation. Usually, the activities were after 4 PM when we had to get back on board. Check out the blog for the Culinary Center. The photos tell it all.

• 2 weeks later...

We hail from nj and are booked already , have been looking forward to this for a while but have just started to get excited now. Any comments on ship or line are appreciated.

Also, if you or anyone else is interested in sharing expense of private pre scheduled tours at ports please advise. My wife and I will be planning to either explore on our own or pre book tours independent of ship as the Oceania excursions seem a bit pricey.

We hail from nj and are booked already , have been looking forward to this for a while but have just started to get excited now. Any comments on ship or line are appreciated.

Also, if you or anyone else is interested in sharing expense of private pre scheduled tours at ports please advise. My wife and I will be planning to either explore on our own or pre book tours independent of ship as the Oceania excursions seem a bit pricey.

The best place to meet your fellow ship mates tour sharing is in the ROLL CALL for your cruise

There is a link near the top of the the page then select the ship then select the date of your sailing & post away

We were also on the Jacques Pepin Dover to Rome cruise in August...

We had the great pleasure of being invted to dinner at La Reserve with Jacques and his wife and his Sous Chef and his wife...A delightful evening...Jacques was very accessible throughout the cruise...We only had one scheduled at-sea day (we had an extra one when we had to miss Oporto due to weather) but they did manage to fit in some presentations by Jacques during hours after the ports...

How does it differ from an "ordinary" Oceania cruise? Aside from Jacques' presence and presentations, not much...The "ordinary" Oceania cruise is pretty danged good all by itself...

But, if the itinary is one you really like, then DEFINITELY book it...You will not regret it...

Archived