Food - I'm concerned

DragonMouse

Do people really "cruise for the food"! They are fixing meals for thousands of people! You cannot (although I guess some do:eek:) expect the meals to be 5 Star quality feeding so many people!:D

You know what? At one time people did just that-cruise for the food.

I agree the food is not always consistent, but I don't think I've ever had a bad meal. On my last cruise I did not like a seafood dish, so I asked for something else. That night I didn't see a lot I wanted on the menu, but I went ahead and tried the vegetarian dish and it was delicious. If I were to be served a cold meal in the MDR, I would politely ask for a replacement. There are also certain kinds of pizza I don't like, but there are a few that are favorites, so I stick to those.

While I don't consider the food "free" since I've already paid for it in my cruise fare, I sure love not having a bill at the end of the meal!

In my personal opinion, the food is the least of my worries when going on a cruise.

I think attitude plays a bigger role than people realize.

Yes, food is subjective, but attitude will definitely influence your perceptions.

As for food pictures, how do you think I feel? I have to look at a lot more of them to decide what to post. :p

Total rubbish. A tough, grisly steak is a tough grisly steak. Doesn't matter where you eat, it will still be that, a tough, grisly steak.Serving it on a cruise ship doesn't make it any better.

CCL purchases lower quality food than it did in the past, that people notice it has nothing to do with "attitude", they are simply cluing in that food has gone down the drain. Sorry, it isn't a lot of people with bad attitudes, it more people who are used to better than dogfood grade meat. Good restaurants serve prime, most supermarkets sell choice, select grade is for hamburgers and pet food. Just what grade do you think CCL is buying???

CCL purchases lower quality food than it did in the past...

They are the lowest priced mass cruise line in the world. They own the market share for that segment. I pay the same - actually less for a balcony cabin than I did for my first cruise in 2001. They have made cost cutting moves that are constantly written about on this board. If they didn't make the cuts, prices would have risen with inflation. If that were to happen, they would lose passengers (including me). They would then be going head to head with all the other cruise lines that already offer cruises that give you what you are asking for (better quality this and that...perks...the finer things...etc) albeit at a much higher price. Instead of complaining about the cuts Carnival makes...why don't you just cruise one of the lines that offers what you want? By the way - it's gonna cost you some additional cash.

I cruise Carnival because the prices are in line with what I pay at an AI, there is plenty to eat and drink, I like the itineraries, I love to sleep with my balcony door open and sit in a lounger all day reading a book. Carnival hasn't cut any of these things - so the rest of the masses that cruise Carnival and I remain loyal customers.

Free advice to those fed up with Carnival's cuts: Cruise one of the more expensive cruise lines that give you (and charge you for)what you want. Carnival isn't trying to be them and these threads aren't going to change that...They are VERY successful with the business plan they have.

Recently returned from Splendor cruise. I did go with a positive attitude. I can positively say that for the most part the food was cold, bland and inedible. The only decent food was at the tandoori grill, the pizza station , salads and most of the desserts. In fact, we lost weight.

After 18 Carnival cruises, I think I can judge when the quality of the food has declined. Luckily, I don't cruise for the food.

Hi Rose, really sorry to hear it..wondered if i was just joining the worried with more and more negative comments..but you confirm it..well on the bigger ship better grill etc thank heavens and I can eat not so great food and loosing is always cool so, sigh..too bad but.......glad you had a good time regardless..and i do not go just for food either LOL..Sarah

Total rubbish. A tough, grisly steak is a tough grisly steak. Doesn't matter where you eat, it will still be that, a tough, grisly steak.Serving it on a cruise ship doesn't make it any better.

CCL purchases lower quality food than it did in the past, that people notice it has nothing to do with "attitude", they are simply cluing in that food has gone down the drain. Sorry, it isn't a lot of people with bad attitudes, it more people who are used to better than dogfood grade meat. Good restaurants serve prime, most supermarkets sell choice, select grade is for hamburgers and pet food. Just what grade do you think CCL is buying???

Obviously you have no objective evidence to support your assertion.

The latest menus list the Chateaubriand as being made from tenderloin, as it should be, instead of shoulder, which had been used for the past few years. Higher, not lower quality.

Some of the meat served on our Carnival Magic Med cruise

Duet of Roasted Rack and Leg of Spring Lamb DSC_8051.JPG

Roasted Prime Rib of American Beef au jus

DSC_8561.JPG

Filet Mignon Carnival,

DSC_9194.JPG

Tender Roasted Prime Rib of American Beef au jus

DSC_0237.JPG

Braised Style Short Ribs from Aged Premium American Beef

DSC_0743.JPG

Grilled Ribeye Steak Tyrolienne

DSC_6394.JPG

Obviously you have no objective evidence to support your assertion.

The latest menus list the Chateaubriand as being made from tenderloin, as it should be, instead of shoulder, which had been used for the past few years. Higher, not lower quality.

Some of the meat served on our Carnival Magic Med cruise

Duet of Roasted Rack and Leg of Spring Lamb DSC_8051.JPG

Roasted Prime Rib of American Beef au jus

DSC_8561.JPG

Filet Mignon Carnival,

DSC_9194.JPG

Tender Roasted Prime Rib of American Beef au jus

DSC_0237.JPG

Braised Style Short Ribs from Aged Premium American Beef

DSC_0743.JPG

Grilled Ribeye Steak Tyrolienne

DSC_6394.JPG

Maybe it is me, but that filet in your picture looks completely unappetizing, like it was boiled, not grilled (yes, I am aware it was not boiled).

Also, on my last cruise (two weeks ago), the did not serve lamb chops. Instead I think they served lamb shank. My son ordered and I tried, both of us disliked it (we both love lamb chops and lamb in general, but only cuts that do not require slow cooking or be covered in heavy choice - whatever we were served on that day probably required both).

So.....in 1986 we paid $1200.00 per person for a cabin on the Holiday. There were no balconies back then that I remember. Food was great.

So....in 2011 we paid $800.00 for a balcony cabin on the Dream. I'm not so hot at figuring out inflation percentages, but an $800.00 difference over quarter of a century later says it all. The food was great. Yes...even the fried chicken.

If you eat at the Steakhouse every night, which we all agree is the BEST, it would still come out cheaper! I do think different ships have better results in the kitchen than others. I think the alternative restaurants are a great addition to all of the ships. Maybe I'm in the minority, or maybe I'm just an old fart who can remember the "good ole days of cruising"' but I think they've done an amazing job of keeping the price affordable for all of us while dealing with inflation of food and oil prices.

I have always loved Carnival's food the best out of the mainstream lines but in our opinion, the Spirit's food has declined in taste and quality.

We have sailed on her 3 times since last December with number 4 coming up in March.

The past few years we have noticed a steady decline in the food. While it isn't that big a deal, it's a little disappointing.

We don't like the new menu, we know we don't have to order fried chicken, meat loaf and alligator fritter's, but it's just kind of a big down grade.

For some, food is a huge part of cruising and others not so much. We are in the middle.

I hope when we go in March it will be better.:D

Maybe it is me, but that filet in your picture looks completely unappetizing, like it was boiled, not grilled (yes, I am aware it was not boiled).

Also, on my last cruise (two weeks ago), the did not serve lamb chops. Instead I think they served lamb shank. My son ordered and I tried, both of us disliked it (we both love lamb chops and lamb in general, but only cuts that do not require slow cooking or be covered in heavy choice - whatever we were served on that day probably required both).

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde :D

Cruise on the SPLENDOR last May/June on the MexRiv

Ship was beautiful

Service identical to 25 years ago

Food in MDR was okay, jumbo shrimp small, lobster small

Choices in the MDR considerable

Buffet was terrific. great salads, 24hr pizza

Cost $659pp inside cabin (today even cheaper $409pp in Feb)

Cruise on the CARNIVAL TROPICALE about 25 years ago on the MexRiv

The lobster was huge

The lamb chops were terrific

The fillet mignon was to die for

The buffets were alright

The cost of this cruise - $699 pp

In TODAY'S DOLLARS that would be $1,480 pp :rolleyes:

There are no miracles. :)

I love all these complaints. I'm sure all these complainers are upset the food isn't more like Applebee's.

I don't care if the food tastes like it came from a fast food place, a mid-level sit down restaurant or a 5 star restaurant. I just want my food to taste good. Period.

Will the decline of food quality keep me from cruising Carnival? No. But I have recently noticed that quite a few people are complaining more about the food now than in the past.

I think attitude plays a bigger role than people realize.

Yes, food is subjective, but attitude will definitely influence your perceptions.

As for food pictures, how do you think I feel? I have to look at a lot more of them to decide what to post. :p

Decisions decisions. :rolleyes: Funny thing though, for the most part the 'didja and the 'comfort food' are additions to the usual menu items. How far back do you have menus for Bill?

I think the food is good overall. I didn't care for the Burrito Bar on the Dream but I think that's personal preference. I was hoping it tasted like Chipotle. I did notice the grilled chicken tasted better at the beginning of the cruise and not so great toward the end of the cruise. That's my only real complaint. I liked the majority of the dishes and there was always something on the menu that I would enjoy. :)

I don't dine at "5 star restaurants" and that's because I don't want to. I'm perfectly happy with Olive Garden :D

Food is definitely subjective. I had to chuckle because I thought the burrito bar on the Valor was BETTER than Chipotle.

LOL is there a stat for that?? I can't see how that can be. I'm sure some did, but not everyone.

There was a reason they had a pre-dining photo op for the Grand Buffet. On the Festivale, if you weren't in the front of the line, you couldn't tell there was an Indian Chief carved in that watermelon. :eek: a gentleman at our table had FIVE prime ribs on formal night...and finished them all. :D It was a cruise of many 'firsts' for me, most memorable was the waiter coming out the 'in' door carrying 15 plates...and then the fight began!!!

More and more restaurants now have lamb shank on the menu. The first time I ever had one was in 1976 in Toronto on Danforth Ave. It was also the first Greek restaurant I had ever been to. They took you into the kitchen and you picked out what you wanted. It was outstanding, very complex flavor. Up to then I had always had loin chops of lamb at home. What I remember most about them is the 'grease mustache' on my upper lip when i took a drink of iced tea.

I love lamb shank. Frankly it's a perfect substitute for anything that should be served medium-rare.

I don't order any steak/chops in the MDR as that is truly a cook to order dish that I will get from the steakhouse and not from a bulk serving operation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree it may not look like what Chicago Chop House might serve, but it certainly tasted good and it was cooked to a close enough temperature. Looks aren't everything. How much would you pay in Chicago for what you think is an acceptable filet?

On our recent cruise, I REALLY liked the lamb shank... The picture perhaps doesn't do it justice, but another person at our table also ordered it and we agreed it was wonderful. I'll try to take a better picture next time.

DSC_4126.JPG

I know Carnival is not perfect, and sometimes there is a clunker cut of meat or a bad server, some combination, whatever. Perhaps even a bad cruise overall (but never in my experience).

If I don't like something and it isn't because it was overcooked or undercooked, I ask my server to bring me something else. No problem. If it continues, I escalate it to management. No problem.

After the cruise, there is nothing that can be done to improve your experience on the ship.

You can't please everyone, all the time, with every dish, but in mass market affordable cruise lines, I don't think anyone does it better than Carnival.

I think the food is fine and the passengers are increasingly chronic complainers.

Here are the newest menus and some food pictures:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/new_11_11/index.htm

On our Carnival Spirit Alaska cruise, in addition to the regular menus, there was a fish special every night that was listed in the Capers/Fun Times.

OMG some people will complain about anything and everything. I for one don't base my cruise experience on just the food.

I don't think I am a complainer at all, but I do not want to settle for less. Those who think that food is fine just don't know any better. This is not a put down. It is what it is - if you continue to like MDR food on Carnival - you don't eat better food in your every day life - otherwise you would not continue to like it.

I just came back from New Year Legend cruise and the food quality in MDR declined from my August Cruise on Legend which declined from my New Year (2011) cruise on Spirit. I really don't care how many people cruise line needs to serve at the same time (presumable they have more people in the kitchen now then when they only had to server 500 or 1000).

During our last New Year cruise, all meat dishes in MDR were inedible. By the end of the cruise, I was eating Caesar salad and one or more appetizers - no entries.

In the beginning of the cruise I jokingly reprimanded my son for ordering hamburger (sorry, in my opinion, if you want a hamburger you can get it on Lido - hamburger on the menu takes a place of another dish). On the third night, after my husband tried to eat his entry and then my son's entry (my son left dinner early to participate in youth activity), he gave up and ordered hamburger.

I actually like Carnival's deserts.

Clearly many on this board disagree and this is why Carnival can get away with lowering food and service quality.

Now ... ready... set... flame away...

P.S. While I don't necessarily cruise for food, I feel since I made an effort to dress nicely (even not on elegant night) to eat dinner on MDR, I should have a nice meal. Or wait... dressing nicely is not required anymore... I guess nice food went the way dress code went...

What a unbelieveable ostentatious display, the thing that makes it completely laughable is the claim of a "refined palate" on the cheapest of ships. Sarcasam- uh waiter? This wine dosen't taste like Chateau Lafite? (waiter) it dosent because you ordered 2 buck chuck.

Archived