Please do not reserve deck chair with a towel

TeaDrinkers2012

:) Now that I have your attention

So it seems I have your attention. That said, I think a bit of constructive critique is needed at this point. Don't expect that to mean I won't swear like a (accused of being drunk) sailor or pull punches. :o

There are a few things I'd like to say first. The couple of people who have tried to pass off my opinions and feelings as something related to me being bipolar/off my meds/drinking/read their other posts and god knows what else.

A few people told me off-line if I can't take it I shouldn't dish it out. Where on earth you ever came to the conclusion that I can't get as good as I give is beyond me. I expect to be given critical review and I can in fact take it very well. It doesn't mean there are certain things that are beyond low. :cool:

Do I think there was an agenda beyond that to get me out of here, sadly, yes. It took me a long time to come to grips with that but too many pieces fit and history shows too many examples of it happening.

And I've clearly stated time and again in other things I write need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I like to cause a ruckus. Or as Captain Malcolm Reynolds said in Serenity, I aim to misbehave. And I will blow xyz out of proportion to do that. The long-winded journals and news articles I read commenting on the same things I have been railing against are usually boring and have no passion.

As the dog sat watching the orchestra, he stared at the conductor and thought... "Just throw the darn thing."

And one final thing before I get to the point. The "don't like it, leave" attitude is bull pucky. As someone said in one of the comments (thinly veiled political intent) that attitude is self-defeatist. When you really really care about something, for as long as a lot of us have, you don't just leave. Or if you are finally so dismayed with it, you make darn sure you go out with a bang and not a whimper.

Okay so. Here's what I think is wrong or in need of a nudging back in old or different directions.

A lot of very well thought out opinions. From people who have been on many cruises or want to. And some new people who have a fresh take on it. Nice to see people interacting and talking about this topic. You don't need to talk to me, but the topic at hand only improves the cruising experience - this is a topic that should not be ignored because, frankly, it is insulting to ignore it.

When you lose the people who helped make this experience what it is since early days, you lose the heart and soul of this community and that can never be rebuilt or replaced.

Happy sailing! :)

I’m just back from NCL Star with 2 sea days and it was the worst I have seen. :( The towel /deck chair hogs were out in full force. :mad: Shame on the chair hogs and NCL for their lack of control.

We are just back from the Pearl on Sunday and same as above, the sea days were the worst. No Chairs available by 9:00 but plenty of chairs with towels alone. I am also one of those people who watches with amusement as people leave towels on chairs and don`t return for hours... The best I saw this time was a women who put backpacks on a table with 5 chairs for her and her family to eat when hungry and also 5 loungers... When done with the table left all the back packs there and returned to loungers... I was laughing at how insanely self involved this was....

It takes all kinds...:)

I’m just back from NCL Star with 2 sea days and it was the worst I have seen. :( The towel /deck chair hogs were out in full force. :mad: Shame on the chair hogs and NCL for their lack of control.

We are just back from the Pearl on Sunday and same as above, the sea days were the worst. No Chairs available by 9:00 but plenty of chairs with towels alone. I am also one of those people who watches with amusement as people leave towels on chairs and don`t return for hours... The best I saw this time was a women who put backpacks on a table with 5 chairs for her and her family to eat when hungry and also 5 loungers... When done with the table left all the back packs there and returned to loungers... I was laughing at how insanely self involved this was....

It takes all kinds...:)

This isn't an issue that is unique to NCL.

I think you're missing the point of this thread. Leaving your spot for a few minutes to use the bathroom, grab a drink, etc... is expected. Normal thinking people do that. Everyone does that.

But leaving your stuff behind for an hour, or all morning, is NOT what normal thinking people do. This is what people with overblown senses of entitlement do.

I have to admit: on one cruise I reserved chairs by taking an early morning pool visit. :eek: Overblown sense of entitlement? I think that's a little strong. Maybe just fed up and figuring "can't beat em join em"

We were on Carnival Triumph, Eastern Carribbean itinerary, and by 1PM you could not find a chair that wasn't in use or "reserved" with a towel. Not at the pool (where I wouldn't want to sit anyhow), on the upper decks, side decks, anywhere outdoors. Twenty minutes walking around the ship looking for a seat is enough. We ended up taking three "regular" sitting chairs, sharing one for our feet, and sitting on the edge of the jogging track because that was the only space available on the ship big enough for the two of us to sit together.

My DW said "I'm going to get up early and do like everyone else and throw a towel on a chair."

I said "Don't do that, the people on Cruise Critics say it's wrong."

Guess who won that argument?

If EVERYONE obeyed the rules, it would be a different story, but it's my vacation too. I'm just as entitled to a chair as the people who know the magical time to get to the pool where there's a balance between sunbathers and towel-squatters.

Wrong to wait at Disney for 4 hours for the parade? Maybe they had little kids who wanted to see Mickey. That may have been an amazing instance of selflessness by a loving parent/grandparent.

Now we just get a rear facing balcony because you almost always have sun on the AFT, but I still don't judge anyone who tries to get a seat at the pool. Sure, it might not fit some folks idea of "politically correct," but if we didn't have Cruise Critics to tell everyone it was so terrible, you probably wouldn't have many people who feel righteous enough to handle and move other passenger's property.

I think this is just down right rude. We were on carnival last November and 3 days at sea we could not use the pools, hot tubs or lounge chairs as they were full all day. It was so bad we couldn't even get a table for 4 to sit down and eat lunch. The last day of our cruise I actually went and moved towels and we finally had a chair to sit down. I didn't spend all that money to spend my honeymoon eating in my room and not being able to swim or use a hot tub. i just hope our next cruise, we can actually get some sun and eat together.

I've never understood this either.

If you're swimming, you're not sitting on a deck chair.

Same as, if you're in the library reading a book....you shouldn't have a table reserved at the buffet.

You can only do 1 thing at a time.

Some people like to swim for a few minutes and then sit in the chair to dry off. I see no reason why people cant do that. I would be darn pissed if I was in the pool and someone took my towel and tossed it because they were being selfish just like they claim everyone else is being. I do not agree with chair hogs but I do think you have the right to go to the restroom, sit in the pool for a few minutes to cool off or to the bar to get a drink etc with out someone removing your stuff.

so will there be a new post started with PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE MY TOWEL?

i must cruise at a different time then the CHAIR HOGS because yeah alot of the loungers are takin by the pool, but who really cares unless you want to swim which i have never seen the pool that crowded on my cruises and there are loungers and places to lounge, sit or whatever all over the ship--just look!---my experiences being on the STAR/SUN/SPIRIT/JEWEL:)

This isn't an issue that is unique to NCL.

You are right :o on another cruise line I have seen people save 3 chairs with 1 towel :rolleyes: lol

also on Celebrity I have seen an attendant tag chairs with towels, time and remove towels after 30 minutes of vacancy

I have been reading with interest last couple of days.

I thought it was initiated by another member. Name changed ?

Picture also looks different. Has this members name been hijacked or ?

I looked into their post and read that they thought it might have.

Is this possible ?

I normally do not post but read items instead. so this is my first time or so.

I have been reading with interest last couple of days.

I thought it was initiated by another member. Name changed ?

Picture also looks different. Has this members name been hijacked or ?

I looked into their post and read that they thought it might have.

Is this possible ?

I normally do not post but read items instead. so this is my first time or so.

Correct , it was only started to stir things up and see how far( # of post's ) it will go. Its the latest thing you know ;)

I was reading the other day about deck chairs and I thought I saw a tea bag or two.

Things look a little different today. Maybe another post.

Anyway I understand how your name can get mixed up on websites as it happens to us monthly. People not always kindly to texans. similar to californias too

This picture is from 6:30 AM, yes 6:30 AM:confused: on one of our sea days. Who the heck wakes up and reserves a seat with a towel before 6:30 AM???. I was standing on deck with another guy for about 15 minutes as we watched in amazement as one sleepy cruiser after another tried to make their claim. Nobody from NCL seemed to mind. We did though.......... and we picked up about 20 towels and returned them to the bin:D. We did not move any personal things like books, sunglasses or iPod.........yes, someone left an iPod on top of a towel. Those of you on the Gem 6-16-12 cruise...........I'm an early riser, you have been warned;)

You could be a new superhero. Put on a Speedo, tie a towel around your neck and you suddenly become...........CHAIR MAN! Able to free enslaved pool chairs by removing their overbearing guards, the towels. You'd be a hero to all!

All said in fun......:D

You could be a new superhero. Put on a Speedo, tie a towel around your neck and you suddenly become...........CHAIR MAN! Able to free enslaved pool chairs by removing their overbearing guards, the towels. You'd be a hero to all!

All said in fun......:D

Thank you! A great day for a belly laugh, later I have to go out and shovel snow. :(

We endured the same problem on our cruise last week. Very annoying. We could not find 2 loungers side-by-side once.

They need to let people have chairs for specific times. Maybe make chairs on one side of the ship a free-for-all like how it is now, and let people reserve chairs for an hour or two at the most. It would be easy to execute. Heck, they could even charge for this service. Then, people could plan around visiting the pool.

Archived