Catamaran rough waters or cold water

lawgirl

We will be in Hawaii in April for the first time, Oahu, Maui, Big Island. We are looking at whale watching and various snorkeling tours. However, I can get sea sick if water is rough. We have done tons of these types of tours in the Caribbean without any issue.

In general, will the water be rough? I assume morning is better than afternoon? Is the water cold such that I should wear a shortie?

Thank you.

We will be in Hawaii in April for the first time, Oahu, Maui, Big Island. We are looking at whale watching and various snorkeling tours. However, I can get sea sick if water is rough. We have done tons of these types of tours in the Caribbean without any issue.

In general, will the water be rough? I assume morning is better than afternoon? Is the water cold such that I should wear a shortie?

Thank you.

Most of the snorkel tours offer rental of a wetsuit top for about $10 which I recommend if you tend to get cold in the water. If you feel the least bit chilled or if the weather is overcast, it's better to go ahead and have the wetsuit top on instead of getting in the water and suddenly getting chilled. There's nothing worse than shivering while snorkeling.

Regarding getting seasick from being in rough water, look at the boats that are used for the snorkel excursion (go to the website). The larger the boat, especially if it's a larger catamaran, the less rocking and more stability of the boat. The smaller catamarans and zodiacs can get bumpy. On the other hand, the zodiacs can travel so fast that you may not have time to get seasick.:eek:

The water can be rough at any time of the year depending on where you snorkel, but later in the day it seems to get rougher in many areas. For example, Molokini from Maui can have rough water just about any time of the day, especially later morning and afternoon, while some areas around Kona are less so. When the water gets rough, it also gets murky.

Another alternative is to book a glass-bottom boat catamaran snorkel excursion. Here you can stay in the center of the boat (if seasick) and watch the fish from the glass inside the boat instead of getting in the water. Not everyone who goes on a snorkel excursion gets in the water.

What time in April are you going? By the end of the third or fourth week in April most of the whales have already left. Our favorite time in Hawaii was mid-April when we rode the ferry to Lanai and back. We saw more whales, espeically the moms with their calves. It was fantastic!

Archived