what's happening to Bayonne in 2013 ?

cruise junky joan

The "Silhouette" came transatlantic into NJ in early November. This is the first season it's sailing out of NJ in the winter months. Up till now, "Explorer of the Seas" has been the only thing sailing out of NJ in the winter. Personally, I'd like to see more ships out of NY/NJ year round. Up until a couple of years ago, the "Noordam" sailed out of NY in the winter (no more) Princess had a ship that sailed out of Brooklyn May to Oct, it will NOT in 2012. I too, would like to see more options for NY/NJ winter sailings but I was told the demographics being what they are, the on board spending on winter sailings out of NY and NJ are WAY less than those sailing out of Fla. Personally, I'd rather see the cruise price higher (to be what a cruise out of Fla would be, with air to Fla) and NOT have to fly to Fla. I'd much rather spend the first and last day on a ship in cooler weather than on and off of a plane and in and out of airports! Bottom line....I don't think there are going to be a lot of choices for winter 2013 cruises to the Caribbean out of NY/NJ.

I was just on the explorer out of Bayonne. During captains corner someone asked what was happening with Bayonne. The hotel director said that they were scheduled till may 2013, and then the explorer would go in for refurbishment. The captain then added that royal would have new sunshine class ships where 3 ports would get these ships, and Bayonne would possibly be the first to receive one

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmmm. That's very interesting. I haven't sailed the exlorer yet. I may have to switch loyalties if Celebrity is going to put all of its decent ships in Florida.

You won't be happy doing that! RCCL just isn't Celebrity

Not only that, but the Explorer of the Seas compared to the Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Eclipse, the brand new Celebrity Silhouette, and the even newer (still under construction) Celebrity Reflection? I know I'd be on a plane heading to Florida! ;)

I just inquired with a large on line agency after checking out their web site. I said "it appears right now the only thing you have listed going out of NY/NJ winter 2013 is NCL Jewel and Gem out of NY and RCI EOS out of Bayonne. Is that it?" Their reply was "check back in April or later, there may be more options by then".

Stay tuned..............

Celebrity posts its winter 2013/2014 schedule in April. They are one of the last cruise lines to post. Keeping my fingers crossed for some 7 - 10 day Celebrity cruises in the northeast!:)

Hi,

I just sailed on the Silhouette out of Bayonne early this past Jan. Celebrity is pulling out of Bayonne. I think the Silhouette is going to Fort Lauderdale & the Summit San Juan? Sorry to disapoint you. It's a beautiful ship.

Happy Sails to you where ever you go.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

• 11 months later...

I second that! How do we get Celebrity back to NJ, NY and Baltimore. I really miss them since I am not at all happy with RCCL and really don't want to fly to Fla.

Archived