Panama Tours at night

califgary

Any insight on any good tours for Panama offerred during the evening hours the ship is at Puerto Amado (Panama)? Ive read the city tour isnt recommended because you cant see because of the darkness. Anyone know what else may be offerred that would be worthwhile? No shore excursions are available yet for our sailing so I cant review whats available yet.

thanks for any info!

From what I've read on the boards Panama City may not be a safe place to be at night but everybody has their own level of comfort and I can't offer you any specifics. I think i"d be surprised if there are ship tours offered at night, and that may be a clue. Good you're asking questions and doing the research. m--

The following are the tours offered on our March 2012 PC cruise in Fuerte Amador (which is the port I think you mean). All commence between 6:30 and 7 pm.

Colonial Panama by Night

Fuerte Amador

Private Touring - Half Day (Car or Minivan)

Miraflores Locks by Night

Panama's History in Dance

I did the Colonial Panama by night and in my opinon it was not worth the money. We drove around in the dark and did a bit of walking. Remember seeing a bust of Ferdinand De Lessips and a monument to Goethals. Other from that we spent most of the time in two souvenir shops. The tour did not cover a number of the places mentioned in the description. When i questioned the tour guide about that she mentioned that they never go to those places.

I mentioned this to the Shore Excursion Desk when we got back on the ship. I know for a fact others did too. They adjusted the price and gave us half the tour price back in shipboard credit.

I feel if the brochure says they are going to a certain site, then they should go. I really find it quite annoying to spend money to be taken to souvenir shops.

I would not recommend this tour.

Terri

CIMG5760.JPGCIMG5762.JPG
Thank you for the candid review and that is what Ive read as well - sounds like just staying on the ship may be the best thing.
Please don't stay on the ship. I have done both Colonial Panama by Night and Miraflores Locks by Night and thought both were great.

Please don't stay on the ship. I have done both Colonial Panama by Night and Miraflores Locks by Night and thought both were great.

I understand if we can find something to do off the ship we will - the Miraflores one sounds interesting! thanks

Miraflores Locks by Night is well worth it, but be careful about timing of your evening meal. Our tour did not get back until after the Lido buffet had closed and all we had was room service.

You may want to have something to eat before you go, if it looks like it might be a close call when you get back. There was an unexpected delay with the tour busses leaving and having to wait for the tenders to get back to this ship. But I don't know how often this occurs or if this was just a glitch on our trip.

Sure, there are some unsafe places in Panama that you would not want to head out on your own down a deserted dark alley Panama City or any where else! Colonial Panama (also called Casco Antiguo) which FLACRUISER99 pictured would be quite safe in a tour, after all the Presidential Palace is there. The area is very well patrolled. The night trip to Miraflores Locks would be equally as safe. Just normal precautions apply as they would any place else... go enjoy!

Archived