What will we miss from RC?

melmar02

I think that used to be true, but with the S-Class ships Celebrity has been trying to appeal to people in their 30s and 40s as well. I would say Celebrity is more for those wanting a relaxing, sophisticated, upscale type environment versus an action packed environment - irrespective of age. My wife and I were 30 & 37 on our first Celebrity cruise and loved it and preferred it over RCI.

Well said...

:DI think Holland America is for sedate old people, Celebrity is for active minded mature people, RCCI is for active bodied people and families, Carnival is for party animals.:)I am biased in favor of Celebrity!

On the S Class Celebrity Ships there is a Disco with a good sized Dance Floor. The Party Band (at least on the Silhouette) plays in the Atrium much of the time. There is a very small "dance floor" and very little seating. The observation lounge does have a dance floor, but it was not used for that purpose during my cruise.

I'll be on the Solstice in Feb, so will see if there is a better venue for dancing.

On the M Class Ships there is the Rendesvous Lounge. It has a small dance floor and plenty of seating. The party band often plays there.

There is also a dance floor in the observation lounge on the M Class Ships.There has been dancing there at night for such things as "Dancing Through the Decades" and Dancing with the Stripes", as well as other theme nights.

Haven't been on an M Class Ship that has been Solsticised (except for the Connie - which is only partially "transformed"). Will see in August if changes to the Millie have changed the dance venues.

The one thing RC folks have mentioned they miss on X is the Diamond Plus Lounge with its Breakfast and Cocktail selections.

On the S Class Celebrity Ships there is a Disco with a good sized Dance Floor. The Party Band (at least on the Silhouette) plays in the Atrium much of the time. There is a very small "dance floor" and very little seating. The observation lounge does have a dance floor, but it was not used for that purpose during my cruise.

I'll be on the Solstice in Feb, so will see if there is a better venue for dancing.

On the M Class Ships there is the Rendesvous Lounge. It has a small dance floor and plenty of seating. The party band often plays there.

There is also a dance floor in the observation lounge on the M Class Ships.There has been dancing there at night for such things as "Dancing Through the Decades" and Dancing with the Stripes", as well as other theme nights.

Haven't been on an M Class Ship that has been Solsticised (except for the Connie - which is only partially "transformed"). Will see in August if changes to the Millie have changed the dance venues.

The one thing RC folks have mentioned they miss on X is the Diamond Plus Lounge with its Breakfast and Cocktail selections.

If they are Diamond+ they would be Elite on X and there is an Elite breakfast in Michael's with Mimosas, Bloody Mary's etc and an evening 2 hr event from 5-7 with free cocktails and wine. They wouldn't be missing anything:D

Maybe I shouldn't have read this thread?

I am going to book the Millenium for March (short 5 nighter out of my backyard - Miami), and I am dragging my son with me. I've been wondering about the age thing and if it would be TOO quiet for him.

I just turned 60 but only chronologically and I am having a hard time thinking about napkin folding classes or glass blowing demonstrations. :)

My son says it's fine with him not to have all the hoopla. I'm used to RCI and I really like it but wanted to experiment. I also like the itinerary and, these days, I can't stay up past 10 pm anyway.

Maybe I'll like it?

If they are Diamond+ they would be Elite on X and there is an Elite breakfast in Michael's with Mimosas, Bloody Mary's etc and an evening 2 hr event from 5-7 with free cocktails and wine. They wouldn't be missing anything:D

Yes, I understnd the there are Elite breakfasts and cocktail hours on X. That's where I was speaking to RC Diamond + members.

What they MISSED was the separate Diamond Plus venue on RC and the types of food/beverages offered there.

We just got back from sailing on the Equinox, and I can testify that Celebrity is geared toward the 50+ crowd. There's nothing wrong with that, but as a 34 year old woman, I most definitely felt a little out of place most of the time. The last night, my husband and I were talking with one of the staff members and we asked him if this particular cruise just happened to have a lot of older people of if this was the norm for Celebrity. He said that the average age of the Celebrity passengers was 65.

We've sailed on RCCL in the past and were looking to "take it up a notch" by sailing on Celebrity this time. The ship itself was more elegant, but there was a distinct lack of activities geared toward the younger crowd. Sure, there may be some younger people who enjoy listening to the string quartet or jazz trio every evening, and there may be some older people who found that as boring as we did, but all in all, I believe without a doubt Celebrity is geared toward the older (or older at heart) while RCCL is geared toward the younger (or younger at heart).

I think it all depends on the itinerary and the time of year. We are in our mid 30s and went on the Eclipse last year. We met many people our age and did not feel out of place. We are going back on the Eclipse in a couple of weeks so I'd be curious what the demographic will be.

We’ve sailed Celebrity for our last 5 cruises. There was one sailing that we felt like we were on the movie set for Cocoon! That is the only cruise were we felt Celebrity was for the senior crowd.

Our last few cruises have had a complete mix of ages with more families on the S class ships.

Now, you 20 and 30 somethings need to keep in mind that baby boomers came of age in the 60’s and early 70’s. Go hit the library and see what kind of stuff they were doing when they were your age! Boring and sedate do not come to mind with this generation! :D

hehe;)!!! You gave me my laugh for the day, thank you! BTW, I'm almost 59, so I do remember well!!

Melody:D

The one thing that really bothered me about the last X cruise we had was the music trivia. They started at 80s trivia and moved back a decade every day. And I'm not kidding, we literally we doing 1920s music trivia the last day of the cruise. We begged for them to do a 90s or even 2000s on day 4. (we were all for 60s thru 80s) but they told us that the majority of the guest wouldnt know enough if they did 90 or current. We were shocked!!! I said, " hey at least we all alive in the 90s, what's not fair about that?"

Archived