What will we miss from RC?

melmar02

Hello Celebrity Boards!

We are considering Celebrity for a future cruise and wanted to know what we will miss from sailing Royal.

We have used the rock wall and flow rider, but could live without. Our main concern is night life - what are the dance venues like? We're not into the nightclub scene on RC unless they are having a special night such as Mo town or Beatles. We are avid dancers so I'll take any info anyone can give on the variety of venues and music available.

Thanks!

Hello Celebrity Boards!

We are considering Celebrity for a future cruise and wanted to know what we will miss from sailing Royal.

We have used the rock wall and flow rider, but could live without. Our main concern is night life - what are the dance venues like? We're not into the nightclub scene on RC unless they are having a special night such as Mo town or Beatles. We are avid dancers so I'll take any info anyone can give on the variety of venues and music available.

Thanks!

After a few RCI cruises my wife and I sailed on Celebrity and (for us) Celebrity was a nice step up. RCI excels in the following areas versus Celebrity: Many more venues and activities geared towards children/teens/young adults, more staff led activities, and more nightlife. Celebrity excels in providing a more sophisticated, upscale, relaxing type environment (minimal overhead announcements, more elegant public spaces, slightly more polished service, slightly higher end food and nice touches such as being handed a glass of sparkling wine as you board). While there are still activities on Celebrity, they are less frequent, many are more adult oriented and you need to expect some down time where you can entertain yourself (i.e. read, hang out at the pool, work out at the gym, nap, play cards, drink, gamble, watch a movie etc.). There is dancing in various venues; the nightclub does not often see a lot of action but the daily newsletter will list when/where/what for the live music - so you will find something (Celebrity does seem to have a bit more live music than RCI). Usually the most nightlife on Celebrity can be found at the martini bar, which is on most sailings very lively past the midnight hour.

We sailed on X for the first time last month after 4 RC cruises, and we had a great time! I can't answer your specific questions as we aren't much for dancing, but I wrote a review and posted the Celebrity Todays (equivalent to RC's Cruise Compasses), both linked in my signature, if you are interested.

I agree with Gonzo about the live music around the ship, we loved it!

I know this will stir up some people but I would say generally

Under 50... RCCL

Over 50... CC

I think that used to be true, but with the S-Class ships Celebrity has been trying to appeal to people in their 30s and 40s as well. I would say Celebrity is more for those wanting a relaxing, sophisticated, upscale type environment versus an action packed environment - irrespective of age. My wife and I were 30 & 37 on our first Celebrity cruise and loved it and preferred it over RCI.

Under 50... RCCL

Over 50... CC

This is because everyone over 50 has the exact same interests and favorite activities, right? Same for the under 50s? So what do we do if we have a mix of ages in our group? Oh, the dilemma!

I am not really "stirred up", just don't like it when people paint everyone with the same brush.

OP, keep reading reviews and getting inputs and decide based on what you want out of your cruising experience!

Under 50... RCCL

Over 50... CC

You need a special waiver to sail on Celebrity if you are under 50, and a similar waiver from Royal if you are over 50. The application process only takes a few weeks.

Just kidding! You can get the waiver at check-in. :D:D:D:D

Under 50... RCCL

Over 50... CC

really unfair - I am 47 and active - I run 25 to 30 miles a week, plus swim and bike - when the weather is nice, I ride my bike to work, too... I have sailed both lines and would say the primary difference is the intended audience - RC appeals more to families - especially families with older kids and teenagers - X is more for couples/adults... it is more sedate in the evening - that's fine with me - I'll spend the day hiking or snorkeling and enjoy a nice relaxing evening on my balcony sipping wine after dinner in Blu... (leaving in four weeks, two days, btw:-)

really unfair - I am 47 and active - I run 25 to 30 miles a week, plus swim and bike - when the weather is nice, I ride my bike to work, too... I have sailed both lines and would say the primary difference is the intended audience - RC appeals more to families - especially families with older kids and teenagers - X is more for couples/adults... it is more sedate in the evening - that's fine with me - I'll spend the day hiking or snorkeling and enjoy a nice relaxing evening on my balcony sipping wine after dinner in Blu... (leaving in four weeks, two days, btw:-)

So are we!! What ship?? Eclipse by chance?? If so we are on that cruise also!! My husband and I are both in our early 40's and this will be our 7th cruise. This is our first on X...all previous were on RC and we are just ready for something different!! I have not paid any attention to the "stereotypes" of X appealing more to an "older" crowd. I have talked to SEVERAL people in their 30's and 40's that have sailed X and LOVED IT!! Additionally, we tend to be ready for bed shortly after dinner these days!! Sounds like we have a lot in common...other than the running :) Obviously you are in AQ...what cabin? We are in 1597 (I THINK...lol).

So are we!! What ship?? Eclipse by chance?? If so we are on that cruise also!! My husband and I are both in our early 40's and this will be our 7th cruise. This is our first on X...all previous were on RC and we are just ready for something different!! I have not paid any attention to the "stereotypes" of X appealing more to an "older" crowd. I have talked to SEVERAL people in their 30's and 40's that have sailed X and LOVED IT!! Additionally, we tend to be ready for bed shortly after dinner these days!! Sounds like we have a lot in common...other than the running :) Obviously you are in AQ...what cabin? We are in 1597 (I THINK...lol).

we are AQ.... but not on Eclipse... Summit - I do want to try an S-class one of these days, but have a severe aversion to winter and want to be as south as I can as soon as I can, so the departure from San Juan is very attractive... we did this same cruise last year and had a blast while also relaxing and rejuvenating... we are both hard working professionals and this is/was the perfect vacation...

The "under 50" "over 50" thing is not true...period.

The only thing we miss from RCCL is they usually have a fairly good piano bar player at least they did on Jewel, Mariner, Navigator when we were on. X has now eliminated all piano bar players from what I'm reading, and there certainly wasn't one on our Silhouette cruise last fall. We enjoyed the piano bars, used to frequent for a bit almost every night, so yes we miss that......

I am 26 and my hubby 29, and Celebrity is our preferred cruise line. However, we often find ourselves friends with those much older than us. We have no kids, and won't be having any, so it is often difficult for us to find friends in our age group who are not "kid-centered". Thus, most of our friends are the age of Celebrity's demographic!

We just got back from sailing on the Equinox, and I can testify that Celebrity is geared toward the 50+ crowd. There's nothing wrong with that, but as a 34 year old woman, I most definitely felt a little out of place most of the time. The last night, my husband and I were talking with one of the staff members and we asked him if this particular cruise just happened to have a lot of older people of if this was the norm for Celebrity. He said that the average age of the Celebrity passengers was 65.

We've sailed on RCCL in the past and were looking to "take it up a notch" by sailing on Celebrity this time. The ship itself was more elegant, but there was a distinct lack of activities geared toward the younger crowd. Sure, there may be some younger people who enjoy listening to the string quartet or jazz trio every evening, and there may be some older people who found that as boring as we did, but all in all, I believe without a doubt Celebrity is geared toward the older (or older at heart) while RCCL is geared toward the younger (or younger at heart).

After 24 RC cruises we will be sailing on our first Celebrity cruise in October. We decided to go with Celebrity due to the itinerary but I am curious as to what to expect in regards to dancing. We like to dance ballroom type dances. Will we be able to dance in the evening? We will be on Century.

We are usually pretty happy with the dancing on RC but our last cruise, a TA on the Navigator, was disappointing dance wise. The best music was in areas too small for dancing and the best dance floor usually had a band that did not play much in the the way of dance music.

Sherri:)

The "under 50" "over 50" thing is not true...period.

The only thing we miss from RCCL is they usually have a fairly good piano bar player at least they did on Jewel, Mariner, Navigator when we were on. X has now eliminated all piano bar players from what I'm reading, and there certainly wasn't one on our Silhouette cruise last fall. We enjoyed the piano bars, used to frequent for a bit almost every night, so yes we miss that......

Amen. DH and I are no where near 50, and much prefer Celebrity over RCI.

As for the piano, on the Eclipse summer 2011 there was some form of entertainment every evening in the Ensemble Lounge. Sometimes it was a piano player, sometimes a jazz quartet, sometimes latin guitar, and sometimes a string trio. We enjoyed them all.

Amen. DH and I are no where near 50' date=' and much prefer Celebrity over RCI.

As for the piano, on the Eclipse summer 2011 there was some form of entertainment every evening in the Ensemble Lounge. Sometimes it was a piano player, sometimes a jazz quartet, sometimes latin guitar, and sometimes a string trio. We enjoyed them all.[/quote']

Yes they were all there on our Silhouette cruise too and we enjoyed them..especially the strings trio, they were excellent...but still DO miss the piano bar atmosphere, the sing alongs AND the large crowds that always frequented those lounges on Royal ships...it was always a lot of fun...is it enough to go back to Royal rather than cruise X? No...but wish X would reconsider their decision to eliminate this kind of entertainment....we certainly loved the piano bar entertainment on Summit and MIllie when we were last on those ships...and I KNOW many people pick their cruise based on where the ultimate piano lounge player, Perry Grant is based....:D

We’ve sailed Celebrity for our last 5 cruises. There was one sailing that we felt like we were on the movie set for Cocoon! That is the only cruise were we felt Celebrity was for the senior crowd.

Our last few cruises have had a complete mix of ages with more families on the S class ships.

Now, you 20 and 30 somethings need to keep in mind that baby boomers came of age in the 60’s and early 70’s. Go hit the library and see what kind of stuff they were doing when they were your age! Boring and sedate do not come to mind with this generation! :D

Archived