Bringing water onboard for neti pot

Buttwig

I realize that bringing bottled water is not allowed and may not make it on if you "smuggle" it but I cannot use tap water for my neti pot. Has anyone had any luck with RC allowing you to bring a few bottles of bottled water for use in a neti pot? If I was to obtain a doctor's note would that help in them allowing me to bring it onboard?

I realize that bringing bottled water is not allowed and may not make it on if you "smuggle" it but I cannot use tap water for my neti pot. Has anyone had any luck with RC allowing you to bring a few bottles of bottled water for use in a neti pot? If I was to obtain a doctor's note would that help in them allowing me to bring it onboard?

great question, i hope we get an answer. i have to take mine with me !

You can bring bottled water on board. I neti-pot with regular tap water, but as hot as the tap can get it. I know about the amoeba thing in LA, but I figure if I'm meant to go by an amoeba infection, it was clearly my time anyway. :p

Thanks for the quick replies. Guess I'll bring the water and keep my neti pot with me and offer a demonstration at the pier if they try to confiscate it. That ought to make them think twice LOL.

Nice! ;)

Why not tap water? Ship water is basically distilled water but with a little bit of minerals added back in for taste. But still softer than the softest water from a softener (and no sodium residue). Because it is flash evaporated it is sterilized (or made by reverse osmosis). I would use it over a jug of distilled water because it is not exposed to air until it leaves the tap.

Who says you can't use tap water for a netti pot? The couple of times a year I need it, no problem. RC use to supply me with a gallon of distilled water for use with a CPAP machine (proud to say I don't need anymore.) Maybe they would for this?

We've travelled several times on Explorer and Enchantment and have almost always brought a gallon jug of distilled water for this purpose. I get to carry it :rolleyes: in my backpack and, while security has always asked to take a look at it, they've never given me any problem once we tell them what it's for and show that it's still sealed.

I have no personal experience, but DW will only use distilled water after she tried to use the ship's sink water and it made her stuffier than w/o the rinse.

FWIW, we've also never had a problem with taking regular bottled water on board, both in carry on and "checked".

YMMV

Who says you can't use tap water for a netti pot? The couple of times a year I need it, no problem. RC use to supply me with a gallon of distilled water for use with a CPAP machine (proud to say I don't need anymore.) Maybe they would for this?

They say you shouldn't use tap water in a netipot because if there is anything in the water you could be putting bacteria in your sinuses. While it is rare, there have been cases where people have died from this.

People have posted how you can not bring water on in New Orleans and you had to have a RX with a not saying you could not drink EVIAN water due to the SULFATES. I went online and looked up EVIAN and yes it does contain sulfates. I went to 2 of my doctors and they would not write out an RX saying that. Only a letter on their letter head and put in their env. Both doctors did the same and they are not from the same town. We leave soon and my plan is to take some water and the letters. I would be happy to buy water but I can't drink the brand they sell. Sure wish they would sell a different brand.

Archived