Ever tried to file a PPI claim?

DitchWitch

:( We got off the Sun Princess on April 8th. I had purchased a ring for my DH at Omni in St. Maarten. Upon arrival at home that night ,the large center stone was missing.I had filed the form they give you for purchases made at recommended shops. I've been trying to contact them ever since. Emails don't get replys, phone calls. voice mail- nothing. Has anyone had to deal with them before? Is there an effective way? Any suggestions? Thanks

PPI is the company that "insures" items that you purchase at "recommended shore shops" as per the Shopping Guide that Princess has for each port. I filled in the form for jewellry bought in St. Maarten. . Since my post this morning I did get to talk to 2 live people at PPI. One aplogetic, the other NOT. Turns out the guarantee is pretty much worthless to me. They will NOT replace the stone, but I can BUY ANOTHER one. (How nice! ) I was under the impression that because the ships were recommending these shps and guaranteeing them that there would NOT be a problem. Wrong. The one woman told me that they were going to change the policy because there were "so many people losing centre stones" WELL why keep recommending the shop?? Not impressed in th least. It WAS a great cruise and it's a shame to end it on this note. Buyer Beware!

The shops atre recommended only beacause they pay dearly to be recommended. :)

NO kidding! I learned an expensive lesson. Don't believe the Port Shopping Buyers Guarantee. And I'll never spend another penny in ANY Omni Jewelers.

I also was on that cruise. I bought a pair of earrings from recommended store and when I took them out of the box the stem was broken off. I was still on the ship and contacted the port buyer I forget his name,but he was useless told me to contact them because he would not be going back to Antiqua for the season and he would let PPI know. How is he gonna tell them he didn't even ask my name. My DH is gonna call them today. Call Princess and tell them, also call Omni and tell them. I will let you know how I make out.

Phyllis

Did you put your jewelry on a charge card? If you call your charge company, just tell them that you bought defective merchandise and are disputing having to pay for it. The charge company will get in touch with the merchant and can usually resolve the problem.

Good luck!!!

Nancy

Have you tried calling OMNI and talking to the shop owner? They may not like it that they are getting bad publicity on this CRUISE board and will be willing to replace the ring in return for mentioning what they did for you. I hope you saved the receipt and also used your credit card.

Just curious...how much are you out?

Here is a suggestion...inspect the item once more before leaving the store....I did just that in Barbados...I told the salesman I wanted to open the box to show my friend who was in the store but walked away before I made final purchase.

Just do it....then if there is an issue..broken post, loose or missing stones you can deal with it or cancel the trasnaction...

frankly the PPI seems to good to be true....

I did E the store. They said that I had probably damaged it and that I could buy ANOTHER stone for $350. Like I'd ever give them another penny! The second E from Omni was quite rude.I have contacted the Charge company and have all the receipts etc.I'm sure hoping thatworks out. Dan the shopping advisor on the ship certainly sang the praises of the guarantee....:rolleyes:

I rechecked the address that is what I have for an e-mail address, but I have a mailing address5332 Raadets Gade, Ste.4 St. Thomas, USVI 00802. I would also call Princess and tell them, and if you paid by credit card see i f they can help you.

I called PPI yesterday and file a claim with them for earrings that I had bought. When I took them out of the box the stem was broken off and the backing was attached to the broken stem. When I told the girl at PPI she told me Dan should have given me a form to fill out for damaged merchandise which he didn't. He just blew me off. He told me he was going to call them and tell them. He didn't even take my name. I have to fax the bill of fax the receipt to her and she will forward it to them. She told me should hear something within 2 weeks, if don't I will call her. I bought a bracelet, and a pendant that goes with these earrings.

Please let me know how you make out. Good luck

Phyllis

:( We got off the Sun Princess on April 8th. I had purchased a ring for my DH at Omni in St. Maarten. Upon arrival at home that night ,the large center stone was missing.I had filed the form they give you for purchases made at recommended shops. I've been trying to contact them ever since. Emails don't get replys, phone calls. voice mail- nothing. Has anyone had to deal with them before? Is there an effective way? Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi, We were in St. Thomas last Nov. And bought some jewlry from Omni there That CC Friends of ours took us too and frequently buy from Harry, And am very happy with it as they are Very reputable.... Don't know about the St. Maarten store, But would figure they are too.... Just pulled out my receipt and here is the info for the St Maarten store..... E-Mail: omni@sintmaarten.net .......... Cutomer service # ( 599) 542-8858...... Depending on which store loacation these are the Phone #'s... Princess juliana airport ( 599 ) 545-2064.... Or Wathey Square Pier ( 599 ) 542-8854.... Or 36A Front Street ( 599 ) 542 5370, Think the last one would be it... Hope this info helps you........... Not sure, But I think the same guy owns both stores and his name is Harry and was at the St.Thomas store when we bought my ring And that # is ( 340 ) 776-7860 Ask for him only at all #'s ..... He AND He only will help you.......

A friend of mine has the owner's contact information for the St Maarten's store. She is going to find it and post the email and information for you when she gets it.

Oh!!!! Forgot to mention.... The same friend of DMorris is the one who took us to Omni and she may have more info than I provided... As I Stated....... They are very reputable or we would not have gone to them ...... You should be taken care of as I would expect to be if I had A problem with my ring..... These friends do business with them often to VERY often and Omni does not want A bad rep.....

Archived