Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I know the news reports are not accurate that this point, but I read the 3 that died jumped off the ship. Is the water very cold this time of the year?

And you still think that if they had the muster drill, those 3 wouldn't have jumped off and that it would have made all the difference in the world?

I'm sorry, "deck officer," but there are more important things here than a pissing contest with you - like the lives of 70 missing people, 3 who lost their lives, 4000 who have gone through this terrible ordeal and all of the rescuers, family and anyone connected to it. I will not entertain your pettiness and in return sully the honor and respect that they deserve. Please stop trying to do otherwise.

Works for me.

And you still think that if they had the muster drill, those 3 wouldn't have jumped off and that it would have made all the difference in the world?

What??? My post said "I know the news reports are not accurate that this point, but I read the 3 that died jumped off the ship. Is the water very cold this time of the year?" and you posted your response ... why?? :rolleyes:

my two cents based on sitting in the Captain's chair for a couple of years and investigating officer for a couple of marine 'incidents' but these are just first thoughts

- looking at the overall layout of where the ship was due to go and where it went I have to suspect there was a deviation from the normal course.

- tracks show a deviation to port, toward the island that makes no navigational sense

* my opinion is this was an electronic error. 'Someone' had reprogrammed the GPS tied to the auto-pilot and had fat fingered a course entry (note the one digit error mentioned by another post), This error turned the ship TOWARD the island rather than north leaving the island safely to the west. (maritime cases are loaded with "radar assisted collision" cases, easily expanded to electronic because folks relied TOO hard on the magic of electrons)

* OPINION - SADLY the bridge watch noticed this error WAY too late. (In the vernacular of 'Bridge Resource Management', we call this 'loss of situational awareness) Once detected they notified the Captain who knew they were far off track and getting back on track would cost dollars in either a late arrival or consumption of addition fuel to increase speed.

* OPINION - The Captain then saw a short cut ..... a pass between two islands that was narrow but 'just enough' and allowed for minimal loss of time and distance

* OPINION - He went for it ..... and learned it was not well charted, because no significant vessels sail thru it!!!!! Oops, turned trying to avoid a rock but the stern swing (a ship turns from the back, your car turns from the front) had him catch the rock "full and by" - he's got a SERIOUS problem now.....

* OPINION - Once holed he saw he was close to the port and thought if I can dock the ship the risk is FAR FAR less, so he heads north to the port, only a few miles away while trying to manage the flooding. During this time he tells his crew, do NOT abandon, because I'm going to dock......

* the port entrance faces north and he approaches from the south so he must do a 180 degree turn about. Doing so allows enough of the water taken on thru the MASSIVE hole to shift (free surface effect) and the ship lists significantly to starboard resulting in a decision (or an uncontrolled event) to ground the ship just outside the port entrance. (ship damage control . . . )

My opinion . . . .

WOW. Great narrative. You should write books. As a laywoman I could actually visualize it and it makes sense.

I just saw a news show that stated the EMEG drill was schecduled for the next day, and many people did not know what to do or where to go. Why was that? On Disney, HOL, and NCL the drills are right away! This delay caused a great loss of life.

This is not a traditional voyage - it's a "circular" type, so there is no real "start" and "stop." (slide seven here http://www.slideshare.net/chiefsworld/costa-concordia-cruise-ship-disaster will show you what I mean) ... if you read back in this thread you'll see the input about this that others have posted. :)

What??? My post said "I know the news reports are not accurate that this point, but I read the 3 that died jumped off the ship. Is the water very cold this time of the year?" and you posted your response ... why?? :rolleyes:

Sorry, my error, thought you were the original poster that posted the thing about the muster drill. My error.

I have been wondering how they are going to get that ship even out of there - I'm sure the Italian authorities and the people of that little island are not going to let them leave it there. It is going to cost a fortune and a lot of time to move it. But if they salvage it - rebuild it- honesty - who would sail on it? I would never book a cruise on that ship after seeing the damage done to the bottom no matter how inexpensive it was.

It would probably be rebuilt to another line's specifications and sent to another Carnival Corp. line under a new name. Most people would never know otherwise.

If it is rebuilt, I highly doubt it returns to Costa.

I guess I'm just shaking my head reading in various places the muster drill the muster drill the muster drill. Like it would have made any difference if they had it. I believe they are important, yes, very important, but that helps the people out when a ship is just floating straight up and people know where to report to, but they are not instructed what to do in different scenarios like your ship tipping sideways. Then all info is pretty much useless.

I guess I'm just shaking my head reading in various places the muster drill the muster drill the muster drill. Like it would have made any difference if they had it. I believe they are important, yes, very important, but that helps the people out when a ship is just floating straight up and people know where to report to, but they are not instructed what to do in different scenarios like your ship tipping sideways. Then all info is pretty much useless.

Yep, I agree.

Yes it is sad and shocking and unbelievable almost. I also still find it strange that it's the same ship as the Splendor. Just seems odd. Personally, I believe it was a power/mechanical issue to start which lead it to all that happened, but I'm very disappointed that a Captain would leave the ship before all passengers were off. I can't imagine any justification for that.

If one of the videos posted earlier is correct, it appears they may not have been loading from a designated muster station anyway (maybe because of the listing?) ---- but that's only speculation and could be completely full of crap so don't hold me to it.

my two cents based on sitting in the Captain's chair for a couple of years and investigating officer for a couple of marine 'incidents' but these are just first thoughts

- looking at the overall layout of where the ship was due to go and where it went I have to suspect there was a deviation from the normal course.

- tracks show a deviation to port, toward the island that makes no navigational sense

* my opinion is this was an electronic error. 'Someone' had reprogrammed the GPS tied to the auto-pilot and had fat fingered a course entry (note the one digit error mentioned by another post), This error turned the ship TOWARD the island rather than north leaving the island safely to the west. (maritime cases are loaded with "radar assisted collision" cases, easily expanded to electronic because folks relied TOO hard on the magic of electrons)

* OPINION - SADLY the bridge watch noticed this error WAY too late. (In the vernacular of 'Bridge Resource Management', we call this 'loss of situational awareness) Once detected they notified the Captain who knew they were far off track and getting back on track would cost dollars in either a late arrival or consumption of addition fuel to increase speed.

* OPINION - The Captain then saw a short cut ..... a pass between two islands that was narrow but 'just enough' and allowed for minimal loss of time and distance

* OPINION - He went for it ..... and learned it was not well charted, because no significant vessels sail thru it!!!!! Oops, turned trying to avoid a rock but the stern swing (a ship turns from the back, your car turns from the front) had him catch the rock "full and by" - he's got a SERIOUS problem now.....

* OPINION - Once holed he saw he was close to the port and thought if I can dock the ship the risk is FAR FAR less, so he heads north to the port, only a few miles away while trying to manage the flooding. During this time he tells his crew, do NOT abandon, because I'm going to dock......

* the port entrance faces north and he approaches from the south so he must do a 180 degree turn about. Doing so allows enough of the water taken on thru the MASSIVE hole to shift (free surface effect) and the ship lists significantly to starboard resulting in a decision (or an uncontrolled event) to ground the ship just outside the port entrance. (ship damage control . . . )

My opinion . . . .

I remember when I took a tour of the bridge of a cruise ship that paper charts were pointed to it was mentioned that despite all of the electronic navigational equipment it is still essential to have the paper charts as well.

I just don't see the vessel returning to the same waters where the 'general public' would more than likely know what happened, it would be tough to market her in Europe. It could stay with Costa if they sent her elsewhere, I suppose.

So you suggest they'll slap a sticky on it and call it something else and trick those fine folks?

I found this interesting in a prior cruisecritic customer review of the Concordia:

DO NOT take this ship I warn you. Oh yah they didn't do any safety drills till the second last day of the cruise. It is not reassuring and if noone can help you with day to day matters and an emergency happens, expect chaos. DON'T TAKE THIS CRUISE!
The full review is here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=57426

Yes it is sad and shocking and unbelievable almost. I also still find it strange that it's the same ship as the Splendor. Just seems odd. Personally, I believe it was a power/mechanical issue to start which lead it to all that happened.

Yes, that is the scary thing. If it was indeed power/electrical, than it could very well have been a fault like the one on the Splendor 2 years ago (just with a different outcome than an engine fire). It could really be ship design at fault, which would be a major issue since Carnival has a sister to the Splendor on order (remember they took the engine from that ship and flew it to the Splendor during the repair process). Katherine

To answer your question, the surface temperature is around 58degrees Fahrenheit or 14.5degrees Celsius.

I don't know if you've experienced this but when I had to take a shower with no hot water I started to hyperventilate when I rinsed my head. Apparently this is a normal reaction. So for someone who has any kind of pulmonary or cardiac condition it apparently can be fatal. I'm not claiming to be a medical authority so this is only speculation.

Archived