Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Shocking captaincy if true. Regardless of whether there was any unchartered rocks in the area it is irrelevent as the Ship shouldn't even be passing by the east of Giglio. Risking the lives of thousands just to blow the ships horn for a few friends.. almost beyond belief.

Also - It may sound a little prejudgemental, but In that interview he really didn't give off the impression of an astute and trustworthy captain...

This article (if accurate) appears to support the earlier contention here that the Captain of the Costa ship deviated from the normal course to sail-by and salute Giglio Island as he had done in the past. The article reports that folks from the island had gathered to watch the sail-by.

Is there really anything wrong with a sail-by and salute? Many cruise lines sail their ships where people can get a good look at them.

I believe NCL took the Epic to NYC for a July 4th fireworks celebration last year. There is a big difference between docking next to the USS Intrepid and slamming into the Statue of Liberty on the way.

Hitting an "uncharted" reef, power failures, and leaving the ship???

I'm waiting for him to say he swerved to miss a deer.

He may be a "Master of B.S." but he was no Master of the Ship!!!

I feel that everyone is coming to conclusions that are not necessary. The media will tell you what it wants for sensationalism. I feel that we should not judge anyone until we know for sure what happened. The only persons who knows for sure is the captain and the black box.We really have to wait and see. Unfortunalty lives were lost and still some missing, we must send our blessings to those who faced this disaster.

This article (if accurate) appears to support the earlier contention here that the Captain of the Costa ship deviated from the normal course to sail-by and salute Giglio Island as he had done in the past.

Given that Costa Cruise Line knew of previous "sail-by's" then I believe more than just the Captain's head is about to roll...this will go higher up the food chain.

I feel that everyone is coming to conclusions that are not necessary. The media will tell you what it wants for sensationalism. I feel that we should not judge anyone until we know for sure what happened. The only persons who knows for sure is the captain and the black box.We really have to wait and see. Unfortunalty lives were lost and still some missing, we must send our blessings to those who faced this disaster.
Very true. However, if Costa publicly releases a statement regarding captain error it is assumed the company has investigated the incident thoroughly prior to the release.

As another poster mentioned, while the captain may be the fall guy, there are higher ups that knew about these manouvers and that more heads will probably roll.

I myself prefer to say a prayer and keep positive thoughts and don't need anyone to tell me otherwise..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too choose to say a prayer at times like these. For the victims, their families, friends and those whose lives are altered by this tragedy.

Very true. However, if Costa publicly releases a statement regarding captain error it is assumed the company has investigated the incident thoroughly prior to the release.

As another poster mentioned, while the captain may be the fall guy, there are higher ups that knew about these manouvers and that more heads will probably roll.

The only assumption you should make is that someone in the Costa public relations department wrote a press release in the hope of deflecting opinion away from Costa.

No one has investigated the incident.....they may have a little more information but the facts in this situation will be very carefully reviewed, documented and undoubtably reviewed in court before the dust settles.

In fact, the press release may open Costa to a defamation of character suit by the captain, should it be found that the accident occured due to circumstances beyond his knowledge and control. Don't confuse accusations of guilt in the news and on this forum as legal decisions.

My net: it was a very poorly written statement that went well beyond what they needed to say in an effort to wish away any liability.

My understanding is that the Concordia is a "two-compartment" ship, meaning that the flooding of just three of the ship's 18 compartments would cause her to sink. Knowing this, it's probable that hundreds more would be dead had the ship not come to rest partially submerged. Scary.

Is there really anything wrong with a sail-by and salute? Many cruise lines sail their ships where people can get a good look at them.

I believe NCL took the Epic to NYC for a July 4th fireworks celebration last year. There is a big difference between docking next to the USS Intrepid and slamming into the Statue of Liberty on the way.

Hitting an "uncharted" reef, power failures, and leaving the ship???

I'm waiting for him to say he swerved to miss a deer.

He may be a "Master of B.S." but he was no Master of the Ship!!!

In your example of NYC fireworks. I bet there was a Pilot on board to guide the ship through local waters.

My understanding is that the Concordia is a "two-compartment" ship, meaning that the flooding of just three of the ship's 18 compartments would cause her to sink. Knowing this, it's probable that hundreds more would be dead had the ship not come to rest partially submerged. Scary.

Where did you see this? I would be curious to learn about various ships' designs and capabilities.

The only assumption you should make is that someone in the Costa public relations department wrote a press release in the hope of deflecting opinion away from Costa.

No one has investigated the incident.....they may have a little more information but the facts in this situation will be very carefully reviewed, documented and undoubtably reviewed in court before the dust settles.

In fact, the press release may open Costa to a defamation of character suit by the captain, should it be found that the accident occured due to circumstances beyond his knowledge and control. Don't confuse accusations of guilt in the news and on this forum as legal decisions.

Not sure how blaming the captain of a Costa ship would be deflecting opinion away from Costa. Imagine the fallout of issuing such a statement if it was premature and inaccurate.

And for some of us, the endless "My prayers are with them" adds zero to the discussion and have become tiresome. If you want to pray for someone, do it in the privacy of your home. No need to tell the whole world about it.

Then please just ignore and scroll over it as I have the many posts telling of the Captains arrest and the banter between the "experts" on this thread. For some of us it is our way to show our respect for the cruising community. After all it is what draws us all here to Cruise Critic. For instance my co-workers watched the tv news, but my perspective was different then theirs, as they had never cruised.

Unless your post was offensive I would not question what you wished to contribute to this thread. I would hope others would do the same.

On another note:

My heart goes out to all the hard working staff of the Concordia who not only lost all their personal belongings but who find themselves suddenly unemployed. We know many of these hard working people are supporting large families in their home countries.

Hoping that Costa treats them fairly and is assisting them in every way possible.

Very good point.

I wish everyone the best possible outcome.

Clay

In your example of NYC fireworks. I bet there was a Pilot on board to guide the ship through local waters.

And one would be required for that section of waterway in NYC. But the Captain is still responsible for the ship.

Many have asked if a pilot was on board. Other's have responded that one would not be required if the ship was just traveling by.

Now a good question might be... If the normal projected course of the Concordia did not require a pilot, would a close passing of the island require one?

Running aground would still be the Captain's fault. But if he was sailing in an area requiring a pilot, and did not have one aboard, then that would be one more defenseless error.

There is a lot to be said for at least being familiar with the deck plans of your ship and for having some sense of the layout organized in your own head. It may not be in your own best interest to just "follow the herd" if you know of an alternate path to your destination, ie: when everyone else is rushing the main dining room doors...can you use an alternate exit?

You know my family has always laughed at me because prior to every cruise I do study and memorize the deckplans. I can say I never did it for safety reason so much as convenience but after this I think I'll require the wife and children to commit them to memory as well.

Rick just to clarify a point none of the above was stated by myself and appears to be either a failed attempt at quoting by Deckofficer or mischief

Regards:)

This was actually my post, and my feelings about the fact that it's time to quit theorizing, since the truth of the entire accident will come out soon enough.

I'm a retired small yacht captain, and a retired commercial pilot. I have been very fortunate to have been in places that basically no passenger is allowed, because of my credentials, and past cruise experience.

I have read your points and agree with 98% agree with them. I also felt that in the beginning that Bob (deckofficer) came on to this forum, stating some things about a ships that fly flags of "convenience" that should the truth about the "Jones Act" be totally brought forth, we would have about 30 percent of the cruise ships running today, and the costs would be more than most passengers could afford. The hull insurance alone would destroy many cruise companies.

We have a family friend that started Princess cruises, and I remember his discussion of why he needed to register his new ships.......not in the U.S. or Canada (he purchased his first ships from a division of the Canadian Pacific Railway), but in Bermuda, or Nassau.

As I have mentioned before, the theories are flying, and I want to sit back and hear what the officials have to say, now that the black boxes have been turned over to officials, and it will not take long for some preliminary finding to come forth.

Again, my condolences to those that have suffered thru this tragedy. My first concern is for those not yet found, those that have died, and those that are helpless on an island in Italy, without any recourse from the cruise line.

Mr. Arison needs to step up to the plate, and make sure that Carnival, and Costa is doing everything in their power to ensure that the passengers of the ship that sunk.........are receiving everything that they need.

Human safety first........everything else second!;)

Rick

This was actually my post, and my feelings about the fact that it's time to quit theorizing, since the truth of the entire accident will come out soon enough.

I'm a retired small yacht captain, and a retired commercial pilot. I have been very fortunate to have been in places that basically no passenger is allowed, because of my credentials, and past cruise experience.

I have read your points and agree with 98% agree with them. I also felt that in the beginning that Bob (deckofficer) came on to this forum, stating some things about a ships that fly flags of "convenience" that should the truth about the "Jones Act" be totally brought forth, we would have about 30 percent of the cruise ships running today, and the costs would be more than most passengers could afford. The hull insurance alone would destroy many cruise companies.

We have a family friend that started Princess cruises, and I remember his discussion of why he needed to register his new ships.......not in the U.S. or Canada (he purchased his first ships from a division of the Canadian Pacific Railway), but in Bermuda, or Nassau.

As I have mentioned before, the theories are flying, and I want to sit back and hear what the officials have to say, now that the black boxes have been turned over to officials, and it will not take long for some preliminary finding to come forth.

Again, my condolences to those that have suffered thru this tragedy. My first concern is for those not yet found, those that have died, and those that are helpless on an island in Italy, without any recourse from the cruise line.

Mr. Arison needs to step up to the plate, and make sure that Carnival, and Costa is doing everything in their power to ensure that the passengers of the ship that sunk.........are receiving everything that they need.

Human safety first........everything else second!;)

Rick

Couldn't agree more!

Still nothing more about those new voices they heard hours ago. :( I still have hope more will be found. In a situation like this, so long as the ship doesn't move, there is still a high chance of finding someone in there alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what Costa says on their website:

We are working with investigators to find out precisely what went wrong aboard the Costa Concordia. While the investigation is ongoing, preliminary indications are that there may have been significant human error on the part of the ship’s master, Captain Francesco Schettino,

I can't believe they said this....Things are different apparently in Italy

In light of these accusations and the continuing investigation, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time.

Okay and all that above was appropriate?

Can you provide links... I never did find "the whole story" written down anywhere... was it even publicized? Feels like it was forgotten to easily...

thnx

Jason, something is really screwy on this board, as I never was quoted saying anything more about the Splendor, except for the fact the they are sister ships, and both experienced electical faillures.

Someone that has more knowledge has stated that there was a major failure in a "bus" system (that being the main componet that runs the electrical system) on the Splendor.

So, what appears to be my "quote" is not, in fact, from me.

Rick

Around my parts, what Costa is doing is called "CYA - cover your ..."

I would guess that there is going to be a huge amount of board room maneuvering, finger pointing and blame running through the high up management of Costa until those truly in power can find an acceptable lower level scapegoat within their own ranks to divert the blame onto.

The only assumption you should make is that someone in the Costa public relations department wrote a press release in the hope of deflecting opinion away from Costa....

My net: it was a very poorly written statement that went well beyond what they needed to say in an effort to wish away any liability.

Your statements are beyond idiotic. By claiming that the accident was caused by the Captain, Costa is categorically stating that they as an organization are 100% liable for any injuries and financial loss.

Archived