Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Hi,

can this be true ?

Usually alcohol-tests are taken even when you only crash with a bicycle (if other people are injured) .

I can't believe that they "forgot" to take the test in this case....

Camelfred

passengers reportedly saw him drinking in the bar. No reports if they took a blood sample.

I actually have two questions that I just saw.

On Twitter, I follow @BreakingNews. They said that a judge ordered the captain to stay in jail with a link to this article.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/world/europe/italy-cruise-main/index.html?on.cnn=1

This article mentioned a second black box was found today.

My questions are (this one might be a question of the Italian Legal System), why would they release him?

And I thought they had already recovered the black box, I had no idea there were two. And do all ships have two?

I am stunned that this event happened.

Can we please have no more "excuses" or defense of this Captain.. please.. it is disgusting and insulting to the lives lost.

He was clearly an arrogant and egotistic a man that should have NEVER been allowed to command a ship of any kind let alone one with so many trusting souls on board.

More over, what kind of corporate culture is it that allows someone like this into a position of leadership? Costa and all other lines need to prove to me that their selection process is and has been capable of weeding out personalities like his.

This kind of bravado should never be allowed... ever.

I am totally disgusted with Costa and I do lay blame at their feet... yes, this man could be a very skilled chameleon and may have fooled everyone, but if his personality is what it appears, my guess is that we will soon see stories from people he has worked with that will support a path of behavior that could have forestalled his ability to make such bad decisions.

I appreciate people trying to quell rumors, but it is time to tell it like it is and point out the horror, the damage, the effect this will have on the entire industry... there is no sugar coating to this, save for the rescue and well being of the crew and passengers and those individual acts that did what could be done to help. I also think that the real hero is the one who eventually stood up to the captain and called for the Abandon ship... and to whit... it now appears that if the Abandon call had been made earlier, and the guests weren't lied to about the situation, lives would have been saved....

.....and that is the real tragedy.... the captain picked his sense of well being over the lives of his passengers.

so sad... :(

Another danger that may result from the Captain's outrageous behavior is that passengers will begin to fear that cruise ship captains are not be willing to inform them of any real danger they encounter...resulting in passengers and even crew creating spontaneous "do-it-yourself" emergency procedures. The nagging concern about whether a captain has only his own interests at work will damage the credibility of *all* cruise ship captains.

You shouldn't and we don't.

The simple fact of the matter is that with one exception Italians behaved courageously, bravely and generously on that night - from the Coastguard and rescue services, the crew of Costa Concordia and the islanders of Giglio - that is the 'Italy' we should remember, not the failings of one individual.

I totally agree.

Not only that, but given there appears to have been no mayday call, & no notification given to the rescue services when this event happened, the speed & efficiency of the rescue services, initially from such a tiny island, have been second to none.

A tragedy this certainly is, one death is one too many, but without the skillful & caring actions of the rest of your Countrymen, this would have been much much worse.

Hi All

Just heard the tapes between the captain and harbour master

never heard anything like it

a harbour master begging, demanding a captain returns to his ship to take charge of getting all passengers and crew off

a captain refusing to go back , take charge etc

it was his ship

he is the person all onboard turn to for leadership, instruction,

for him to run away and refuse to go back

is enough lock him up and throw away the key.

yours Shogun

Very sad to see pictures of those who are still missing and to hear how more people have been found and to imagine the sheer terror that they must have experienced prior to passing away be it by drowning or other other injuries

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16150728

The picture of the young worker really hits a chord with me....

Hi All

a harbour master begging, demanding a captain returns to his ship to take charge of getting all passengers and crew off

it was his ship

yours Shogun

This...in a nutshell...

I actually have two questions that I just saw.

And I thought they had already recovered the black box, I had no idea there were two. And do all ships have two?

I'm sure it's for redundancy sake. They are on the outside of the ship, probably one on each side. Imagine if something worse had happened and the ship had fully sunk and was sitting on the ocean floor on its side. They would at least be able to send a robot down to retrieve the device from whichever side of the ship was accessible.

Hi All

it was his ship

yours Shogun

Shogun, more and more reports (eyewitness and phone conversations) are pointing to exactly what you just said.

Sad!

So, maybe it's time to learn how Carnival/Costa elevates their officers into the postion of Master? This man obviously was not suited to be a Master of the Concordia. No speculation needed on that statement.

I continue to pray that just one more person will be found alive. The divers and everyone else is doing such a wonderful job of looking and listening for someone else that may be alive.

I can only hope!

Rick

Very sad to see pictures of those who are still missing and to hear how more people have been found and to imagine the sheer terror that they must have experienced prior to passing away be it by drowning or other other injuries

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16150728

The picture of the young worker really hits a chord with me....

Has to be one of the worst ways to go...:(

(Please understand that english its not my natural language)

We do not blame you or the Italian people for this tragedy. Only the Officers who are at fault for the accident and their inactions afterwards!!

I do want to tell you just how impressed I am with your governments handling of the bodies being found and brought off the ship today.

EXTREMELY RESPECTFUL!!!

I'vew watched 3 bodies being removed and placed into body bags before bringing them onto the rescue raft, therefore making sure that their loved ones at home do not see them via television or news report before they are notified officially.

God Bless the Italian people!!

Joanie

I wonder if you would still think this way if it was your 5 year old child still missing

Why wouldn't I? I would want to know how it happened, who was responsible. At this point we just don't know.

Actually, if it was my child missing, I'd be on that island with a photograph in one hand and knocking on every door and looking over every rock. If that didn't work, I'd hit the ferry boat operators, the bus drivers, etc. etc. But that isn't what you meant, is it? You meant that I would be holding the rope for the lynch mob. Well, maybe...but not until I knew who was responsible and that they were criminally negligent.

Well the main character who has to be blamed is the captain! ;)

It cannot be that he does something like this. :mad:

But the officers also did many wrong things - I think they could change the route of the ship before it was too late...

Too sad that now 11 people are dead. :(:(:(

But at least let's hope that they could recover the ship - so that there's at least one positive thing...

I'm sure it's for redundancy sake. They are on the outside of the ship, probably one on each side. Imagine if something worse had happened and the ship had fully sunk and was sitting on the ocean floor on its side. They would at least be able to send a robot down to retrieve the device from whichever side of the ship was accessible.

You are correct - and there are other recording devices (such as in the engine room) that are recoverable with pertinent data. Hard drives on the bridge, etc. can be recovered - even if the Clueless Captain tried to erase the data.

Originally Posted by Shogun viewpost.gif

Hi All

a harbour master begging' date=' demanding a captain returns to his ship to take charge of getting all passengers and crew off

it was his ship

yours Shogun[/quote']

This...in a nutshell...

Agreed!

Hi All

it was his ship

yours Shogun

There has to be *some* reason why a ship's commander would spend an hour before issuing a mayday and alerting the passengers to move to the muster stations on a ship that had taken a massive boulder into its hull and was quickly becoming one with the sea. And then to leave his ship? His passengers?? His crew (many of whom presumably count him as a friend!!)???

WHAT could possibly explain the level of panic this captain displayed throughout the emergency???

There has to be *some* reason why a ship's commander would spend an hour before issuing a mayday and alerting the passengers to move to the muster stations on a ship that had taken a massive boulder into its hull and was quickly becoming one with the sea. And then to leave his ship? His passengers?? His crew (many of whom presumably count him as a friend!!)???

WHAT could possibly explain the level of panic this captain displayed throughout the emergency???

Drunk?

Different people react differently - Captain Smith of Titanic was reported as being in deep shock when the enormity of what was happening sank in- possibly one of the reasons the Titanic evacuation was managed so badly (they could have saved 500 more if they had put their minds to it). Fortunately the crew on Concordia seem to have reacted better - and they were lucky in location and weather.

I think you are missing the point...I'm not sure it was so much as panic...I would bet my house that he is arrogant, and delayed the mayday call not due to panic but because he thought he could correct the situation without any assistance.

I'm sure he also delayed the call to cover his tracks a bit, to formulate a plan or story, he needed to buy himself time to get away from the rocks he hit in an effort to hide/obscure exactly what happened.

He was in full on CYA mode.

awesome picture mferris77. best one of the disaster so far.

The wreck should be stabalised and left in situ.

The submerged bits would be a divers' dream, the dry bits would be a free runners' dream, and the whole thing could be a readymade movie set for a Titanic-esque Condordia movie.

Alot of witnesses saying he was in the bar with a pretty companion all evening - this would explain alot but I am not sure how credible the sources are. People here keep saying 'innocent until proven guilty' which is fair enough to a point but when there is this much compelling evidence it is beyond question where the blame lies.

Archived