Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

i am not deckofficer, and I was not saying what you said I did. I was point out ANOTHER Problem with a flag of convenience Ie criminal investigations and did say the italians seem to have a hand on this so far (incl already having investigated rocks off the island where the ship hit etc) and having arrested the captain. I don't consider italy a flag of convenience like the other 2 i mentionned and will add Liberia to problem list.

The fact that the disappearnce of this young lady is not being invesitgated or solved as the bahamian police (and I lived there a number of years) are out of their depth means that all should think about where a ship they are sailing on is registered. I never said only the US can sort things out, I would like to see the UK police be able to investigate the disppearance but that isn't catered for under the flag of convenience system which I think should be changed on this issue. It is something that should be considered by all the cruise industry and all cruisers.

That is all.

And I think that you make some good points.

Barry

This is a transcript from CNN.

Recordings between the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship and the Livorno Port Authority, which is part of the Coastal Guards, have given new insight into what happened on the ship when it hit rocks Friday night just off Italy's western coast.

From reading the transcript, the captain seemed to be overwhelmed by the situation. He seemed to be incoherent. It was clear from the transcript that the rescue effort was well under way. Looking back, given the captain's state of mind and behavior, I wonder if the captain was fit to lead the effort in some way.

The Italian press report that the officer sent to inspect the engine room was screaming at him that "it's flooded, it's filling with water" but he got no reply from the captain, who was busy on the phone to head office and did not acknowledge repeated calls for decisions .
I wasnt aware of that information but if the informaitn was being passed to the bridge then the next senior officer should have taken action upon it, maybe that is why the 1st Officer is being held (Just a guess). All these points will add up against the Captain.

Thankfully RCI have two captains on their boats, a decision will be made if one is unable to !!

It is nice to see that the recordings are coming out fairly fast now with the media. In contrast to airplane crashes, which seems to be much longer to release the pilot tapes, these tapes are very incriminating to the Captain and his officers in the bridge.

Not only is the whole initial cause of this disaster by the foolishness and joy-ridding of the Captain in the first place, but, his actions later on are amazingly shocking.

Costa proclaims that they had outstanding safety efforts, but, what about Captains?

Doesn't the cruise upper mgt make sure their Captains are fully aware of what is mandatory and demand that they promise to fulfill their duties.

It seems in this case that the Captain was immune from requirements to fully fulfill his duties.

He seems like he can disregard basic ideas of duties in all of this.

How many more Captains in the world are under the same assumption that they can shirk clear duties.

The cruise industry better review clearly with each Captain and top officers that they swear true allegiance to their required duties, or if they cannot truly perform, then, resign their position.

The loss of life is the most tragic part of this disaster and my heart goes out to the family and friends.

But I assume Costa will lose tons of money over this, even with insurance.

Would you sail with Costa? (I would not based on this incident.)

For those of you already booked with Costa, are you considering canceling? (I would if I were booked.)

Do you think this will cause Costa to fold? (I do.)

I totally agree with you that the loss of life is tragic and like yourself my heart goes out to the family and friends.

I would sail Costa again having travelled with a few cruise companys Costa have new ships visit exciting ports and are good value for money.

We are due to sail on the Costa Favolosa on Friday the 13th April we have no intention of cancelling

I really hope that Costa will not fold, having travelled with them before they are a great brand, shame one mans actions as caused this terrible tragic event

I believe Tango India means Fire at Sea which would fit with an electrical problem.

Tango India means Trasporto Invalidi

Someone must reach a certain point to held a person who cannot walk/reach the muster station.

The Italian press report that the officer sent to inspect the engine room was screaming at him that "it's flooded, it's filling with water" but he got no reply from the captain, who was busy on the phone to head office and did not acknowledge repeated calls for decisions .

Uh oh - "talking with the home office..." This will be very interesting to the lawyers - what did Costa know and when did they know it? Did home office give him instructions? Did he ignore them or follow them? The plot thickens..

Uh oh - "talking with the home office..." This will be very interesting to the lawyers - what did Costa know and when did they know it? Did home office give him instructions? Did he ignore them or follow them? The plot thickens..

If this was a true accident, freak wave, a weird landslide caused a rock to be in the wrong place etc....which does not appear to be the case at all people would not worry.

This accident is going to show a group of dingbats can overcome the best safety and electronics.

To listen to the Port authority trying to get the captain back on the ship by yelling at him and him not going...wow. These are the people who's hands hold our lives at sea?

The sad truth is that I don't think we can rely on anything that he has said up to this point

Even 300 metres is too close.... 1,000 metres... and slow down to 5 knots would be barely acceptable.

A long long time ago I was in the Australian Navy. At night while cruising, if we saw a ship a distance away (I recall it was 2-3 miles away - can't remember exactly), we HAD to call the Captain to the bridge, regardless of anything, whether he was asleep or anything else. At the time, being young, I thought it was all a bit too conservative - but later I came to understand that the Captain was responsible for EVERYTHING, even MY errors

I can't imagine my Captain doing 15 knots at night , only 300 metres offshore of anything - regardless of what the charts said.

Barry

By all means! And also to those lovely residents of this island who so graciously and selflessly opened their homes and arms to these weary survivors...

Totally agree, there was some discord there, but most people got off the ship somehow.

And some are still being attended to by the nice people on shore.

Let's remember some of the positive outcomes of this.

not sure if this' been posted, but i just read the news about those two korean people who got rescued. They said they were rationalizing food by tiny pieces of snack and two sips of water for 30 hours. and when the rescuers finally reached them, they were so happy and said "thank you [for] coming!"

Where is the story? I'd like to know if they explain how they were trapped. Thanks!

The buck stops here now !!!!

It has just been reported on BBC News that the Captain has admitted that he was in command when the ship hit the rocky outlet.

You have hit the perverbial "Nail on the head"!!

No more theories, now we just wait for the rest of the truth to come out.

It's seems to be spilling almost as fast now, as the water was entering the engine room!

Good catch!!

Rick

And I think that you make some good points.

Barry

Thank you Barry.

I do think the italian authorities are all over this, and will be investigating thoroughly. And the light shining by the press means that they won't be able to sweep things under the carpet for Costa (as they have in the past for Berlesconi). THe constant stream of information and recordings might be considered prejudicial should this come before a jury, but at least it means the truth will come out.

My point was the Criminal investigation is very important here and should be handled by an authority who can cope with it unlike the case of the Bahamian investigation of the Disney councillor's disappearance/murder. The search and investigation was quite laughable really.

And I really couldnot beleive so many people counted as safe were not counted properly so that so many more are listed as missing. Given the last 7 bodies found were people at/near their muster station waiting for help was just unbeleiveable.

@milkalsen..thanks for posting the transcript.

I also read it on the yahoo news feed. Thank god the coast guard was recording the conversation with the captain!

What bothered me the most was when the captain said he had his first officer with him. Okay, I understand the stress but that's an individual decision/experience but the first officer too?? So the passengers & crew were left to fend for themselves with no senior leadership??? Damn.

He made the decision, that very fateful one and now he will have to live with it for the rest of his life. Very sad indeed.

One important note - there is absolutely nothing stopping the Bahamanian government requesting US or UK assistance in any matter involving one of their citizens as well (but help cannot be forced on them except through political pressure)

i am not deckofficer, and I was not saying what you said I did. I was point out ANOTHER Problem with a flag of convenience Ie criminal investigations and did say the italians seem to have a hand on this so far (incl already having investigated rocks off the island where the ship hit etc) and having arrested the captain. I don't consider italy a flag of convenience like the other 2 i mentionned and will add Liberia to problem list.

The fact that the disappearnce of this young lady is not being invesitgated or solved as the bahamian police (and I lived there a number of years) are out of their depth means that all should think about where a ship they are sailing on is registered. I never said only the US can sort things out, I would like to see the UK police be able to investigate the disppearance but that isn't catered for under the flag of convenience system which I think should be changed on this issue. It is something that should be considered by all the cruise industry and all cruisers.

That is all.

More ebay items and reports that there is some short selling and profit taking of Carnival stock - anything to make a profit in the wake of tragedy! :confused::eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Costa-Concordia-Launching-Ceremony-Medallion-/300651116787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460033f8f3

From reading the transcript, the captain seemed to be overwhelmed by the situation. He seemed to be incoherent. It was clear from the transcript that the rescue effort was well under way. Looking back, given the captain's state of mind and behavior, I wonder if the captain was fit to lead the effort in some way.

I agree it seems that the captain is scared and incoherent and is unable to cope. The commander is yelling at him and threatening him at no avail. They should have stopped ordering him to go back to the ship and sent the police to get him right away as he was pretty much useless based on conversation. I wonder if the port authority just could not believe that a captain could be so incoherent and just kept trying to hold him responsible. I can't help but think of another captain in desperate times, the famous Captain Sully, who landed the plane in New York on the water and managed to save all his passengers. This was another situation that could have ended in disaster but did not because of Captain's actions. This was an underpaid Captain in a desperate situation with lots of panicking passengers (ok, not 4,000). However, his calm command, clear head, and calm organized crew saved everyone and he became a hero rather than a villain.

I keep the same data on a password protected and encrypted website as well. Onboard I have just a laminated card with contact and medical info. My standard port bag has a small flashlight and hidden spare card.

There has been many posting which I have found most interesting. I'd like to add to the forum some items that my wife and I take as our "emergency pack". I've attached I think two small photos showing clockwise: Quad band mobile (cell phone) with international sim; credit card;vital phone numbers; whistle; usb containing all vital details such as scans of passports, contact details, all in pdf form;small thumb flashlight;govt issued photo ID. All contained in a waterproof container. We keep this with us both onboard and when ashore. We each have one so that if we ever get separated from each other we can at least communicate by phone,(only ever had to use the phone once). We also have our "cruise card" on a lanyard plus a small flashlight attached. Many survivors spoke of being disorientated in the dark.

We also have a firm plan that if we are separated by an incident that we will not go looking for each other but take responsibility for our own safety and will meet at a pre arranged location,(usually the town post office.) We have always felt it was overkill but following this tragic event, our preparation would have come into play and perhaps helped.

If others have similar plans it may be a good time to share with others.

A new perspective:

Communications is a funny thing....a word to one person may have a different meaning to another.

For whatever reason, the captain may have said to the person (unknown) who was charting the course...or watching the GPS map (unknown), make a turn 300 meters from the coast. The key word here is "coast". If that word was interpreted (rightly or wrongly) as the tip of la scala which is the outermost visible "land" by the captain....and the person(s) manning the GPS and charts interpreted it as the mainland, not including the two little islands....then we have an accident.

In fact, the rock he hit was almost 300 meters off the mainland. The disaster may have been caused by something as simple as miscommunications and confusion about where 300 meters started.

This does not condone any of the actions.....I'm just trying to understand the captain's original statement vs the facts....and it's just possible that he was measuring from a different point then his crew. Should not happen...but.....

Archived