Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Tanker driver? The post below yours using the acronym MSC, I'm a cruise ship dummy, I guess that is another cruise ship company? For me, it has always meant Military Sealift Command.

MSC in this ref is to Med Shipping Company the cruise line...since MSC also hauls cargo I differentiate.

I agree MSC first comes to mind as Mil Sealift......having worked on a commercial ship contracted for MSC...was actually really a nice Summer of work.

MSC in this ref is to Med Shipping Company the cruise line...since MSC also hauls cargo I differentiate.

I agree MSC first comes to mind as Mil Sealift......having worked on a commercial ship contracted for MSC...was actually really a nice Summer of work.

Being nosy now, so you don't have to answer...how was the pay with MSC ? I have always thought the pay was a bit under the bar.

Being nosy now, so you don't have to answer...how was the pay with MSC ? I have always thought the pay was a bit under the bar.

That was 25 years ago...and actually we were paid by the commerical company with the contract so I can't say for sure, although when I looked at a direct MSC contract for a Summer the pay did seem low. That was then, I can't speak for now though.

deckofficer.......Bob. When was the last time that you worked commercially on any type of of a heavy ocean going ship?

While your academics are correct, I think that you continue to vier off course of the main topic of this thread.

To recap it........it's about the sinking of the Costa Concordia, and then, to wit, the (mis) adventures of the Captain, and the fact that he could have saved all lives, but instead he abandoned his ship, as only a coward would do, after taking the oath of being a ships Master.

It's very sad that this tragedy has happened, but maybe good for the world in the future, as many maritime changes will be happening in the near future, including looking more closely at safety issues.

Is it not ironic, that most Staff Captains are in charge of safety, as well as becoming most proficient in backing up a Captain, should something happen to him/her.

Safety.......as it has to do with the Concordia....went out the window, with the first and last steps of the Captain. Sorry, it's now a proven fact.

What I would like to hear from you.........if you have the time, is "company procedure for running a ship safely!

Bouancy......salt water is better than fresh water. Positive stability.....keep it upright! Pretty simple, just a question of know how, both in the air and in the sea.

Rick

Rick,

You and others will get a chuckle out of this, last ship was 10 years ago and was (drum roll, in preparation for a chorus of laughs) a 32,000 ton, dynamically positioned drill rig 100+ miles offshore of Brazil. Held position with (6) 5,000 hp electric thrusters. During high enviormental loads (i.e. 30 kt winds + 3 kt current) I could burn 1000 gallons of diesel per hour.

Rick,

You and others will get a chuckle out of this, last ship was 10 years ago and was (drum roll, in preparation for a chorus of laughs) a 32,000 ton, dynamically positioned drill rig 100+ miles offshore of Brazil. Held position with (6) 5,000 hp electric thrusters. During high enviormental loads (i.e. 30 kt winds + 3 kt current) I could burn 1000 gallons of diesel per hour.

Actually, my friend Dave (Rancher Dave) will understand exactly what you are talking about.

And my hat's off to you......if you would have lost position.......the thousands........hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude would have created a disaster.

Thanks for being truthful. Now I know where you are coming from.:)

Rick

I'll always be truthful, and as the conversation on all of our parts was speculation I figured my CMA education, time on break bulk, and container ships didn't qualify me as an expert, but as someone who could contribute to the speculation. Excuse the lack of quality of these pictures, but they were taken 12 years ago with the first Sony digital camera that res is so low you stored on the camera's internal 1.44mb floppy drive.

My ship

noblemorning.jpg

My "office" bridge

MVC-730F.jpg

Yours truly loafing

MVC-728F.jpg

Anyone think it saw kind of strange (peverse) that Dominica Cemortan was interviewed http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/speculation-swirls-around-mystery-woman-reportedly-seen-with-captain-of-doomed-ship/story-e6frf7lf-1226249262774 with a back drop of Escher's "Relativity" in the background. Those stairs all wrong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg

Much like how the ship would be now. :(

Interesting about your corse of events. Today on the local radio they interviewed a guy who was on the ship. He said something that I have not heard on any media anywhere. My question has been all along with a hole the size of motorhome in the ship why did in capsize the other direction?

The passanger said the he was in the dinnign room just abouve where the ship hit the rocks. They heard the grinding of metal etc. He said wihin 15 minutes the ship started a a heavy list to the side of the ship where the rock is. He went on to say that they went to the life boats on the side now in the water but the list had them looking at the stars.

After about 30 minutes the boat righted itself just lower in the water. In the next 30 minute the list changed sides and they were looking at the water. He was very interesing.

My question why did the list change sides? Did the ship crew couter flood to level the ship and then lost control? Or maybe did they hit another rock when they got so close to shore?

Interesting about your corse of events. Today on the local radio they interviewed a guy who was on the ship. He said something that I have not heard on any media anywhere. My question has been all along with a hole the size of motorhome in the ship why did in capsize the other direction?

The passanger said the he was in the dinnign room just abouve where the ship hit the rocks. They heard the grinding of metal etc. He said wihin 15 minutes the ship started a a heavy list to the side of the ship where the rock is. He went on to say that they went to the life boats on the side now in the water but the list had them looking at the stars.

After about 30 minutes the boat righted itself just lower in the water. In the next 30 minute the list changed sides and they were looking at the water. He was very interesing.

My question why did the list change sides? Did the ship crew couter flood to level the ship and then lost control? Or maybe did they hit another rock when they got so close to shore?

A few have commented on this with better explanations than mine (you may want to search the thread ) but initial counter balance with ballast and that 180 degree spin with the starboard anchor down to rest her facing south when she was travelling north where she is would have contributed as the amount af water that may have entered would have been significant I would have thought

I won't comment as it tends to upset folks, and since I laid low today the forum returned to being more civil and of course that is better for all, so I will just share without comment.

image deleted for comment

76.jpg

80.jpg

A new post at gcaptain.com:

gCaptain’s John Konrad Narrates the Final Maneuvers of the Costa Concordia [VIDEO]

http://gcaptain.com/gcaptains-john-konrad-narrates-the-final-maneuvers-of-the-costa-concordia-video/?37941

and its source

http://www.qps.nl/display/qastor/2012/01/17/20120117_stranding

http://www.qps.nl/download/attachments/6718686/Grounding+Costa+Concordia.wmv?version=2&modificationDate=1326885071126

The track shown in the referenced items sugggest that the track ("threading the needle") shown in your post may have been contrived.

As disclaimed in the new video, it remains to be seen how it holds up against the VDR

The fact that you can't understand what is so fundamentally wrong with your thinking just makes me sad.

I thought we left this crap behind us decades ago.

WHAT is so sad? Unfotunately, as others have pointed out it would not be the first time that a man is looking in the direction of a "pretty woman".

Please refrain from using bad language in a forum such as this. It is uncalled for.

Here's a link to a newscast with video taken by a crew member inside the ship and during evacuation. The focus of the spot is the heroism of the Filipino crew.

Video starts at 0:14. At 1:37, he tells another crew man they have to start lowering the boat since the ship is listing and if it goes further, they'll soon hit the side of the ship. Notice though that there are no more lifeboats in the shot and the deck is practically empty when they leave.

The video taker is the guy at 2:07.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/video/106825/mga-pinoy-crew-ng-tumagilid-na-barko-nanatili-para-iligtas-ang-mga-pasahero?ref=related_video_img

AFAIK it doesn't matter which flag they are sailing under or where the officers are from. I heared that the policy is for them to speak english after an emergency has been declared!

Where did you hear that, and whose policy? I can see no good reason for anything but Italian to be spoken on the bridge of an Italian-flagged vessel with Italian officers in Italian waters. Or are you talking about what language pubic announcements are to be in? There I would have thought the language of the majority of the passengers would be most appropriate.

Please stop with your academics

Got something against academics? Yes, Deckhand veers off the topic at times but he's not the only one. It's also something that happens widely on the Internet.

We also have the same questions being repeatedly posted, links to videos not of the CC being posted and so on. Why not rant about those as well?

Today as the cruise ship Costa Concordia struggles to survive another cruise ship, the Disney Wonder, makes her very first voyage in a conveyance down the Ems River from the shipyard at Papenburg, Germany.

The cruise industry marches on.

When I looked on the Disney Cruise threads I think the news was about the Disney Fantasy heading out for its sea trials.

Learning to "get along" would be great practice for us if any of us ever find ourselves in a scenario where we needed to depend on each other for our own safety.;)

It would go along with the great suggestions for what to take on a cruise in case of an emergency.

Hoosiermania

You are soooooo correct. Have you ever noticed pushing and shoving to get on a ship's elevator?

For safety's sake, I leave a Gov ID, color copy of our passports, Passport ID card, one credit card, phone Phone #s for US offices in all ports of call, ship diagram, mini mag light, Swiss Army knife, and cell phone (in case we're near land) in a safari vest which is kept near the cabin door with safety vests. I wear it on all shore excursions.

Archived