Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Actually I'll jump in here. I'm in aviation. And the stats clearly slow when an evacuation is called in an emergency situation from an aircraft there will be injuries. Often quite serious ones.

Dingo... trust me here... comparing aircraft slides and marine slides is like comparing apples and oranges. I'd tell you all the differences but that would require a lengthy post. Suffice to say that aircraft slides look to evacuate 200+ people in SECONDS. Marine slides look to do the same volume per slide in MINUTES or HOURS. The speed in which you drop and slide in an aircraft slide is crazy fast and mildly hazardous. It's a totally different design than the marine evac slides. Marine slides drop you MUCH SLOWER and into a puffy bottomed landing zone in the raft. In an airline slide you end up... if you are lucky... on grass (but it could be much worse - cement maybe?).

And how do I know about airline slides? Because in my days working for Boeing I volunteered several times to be a emergency drill "passenger"... and once I even jumped from/evacuated a 757 via a slide. I could see how you could break a leg or an ankle during escape... you are moving quickly! Still... virtually every time a slide drill was run there were no injuries (and many of the drills are done with a smoking fuselage... screaming.... [fake] injured passengers, etc. It's as realistic as they can get it).

No, it was mentioned as a comment to a news story I read, and it was definitely some sort of evacuation equipment.

It caught my eye, and I figured with the amazing technical backgrounds found here, someone might be familiar with it.

Hi,

In that case they may be referring to the "pod" that is attached to expensive life vests that when the wearer falls into the water the pod transmits a radio signal beacon so that searchers can find him/her quickly. This undoubtably could have saved some lives on the Concordia and the searchers would know exactly where they are now.

The cost could drop enormously if SOLAS said that every life jacket should now have one of these. Millions would have to be produced in a very short time and the patent be opened to many providers on an emergency basis. Who knows?

The Lady in this video is our own Cruise Critic Member mickey d mouse!! She started the Costa Boards thread' date=' Costa Concordia I survived.

I had not heard of her hubby's hernia so am glad that we are hearing more of them today. Thank you for the link.

Joanie[/b']

Hi,

In that case they may be referring to the "pod" that is attached to expensive life vests that when the wearer falls into the water the pod transmits a radio signal beacon so that searchers can find him/her quickly. This undoubtably could have saved some lives on the Concordia and the searchers would know exactly where they are now.

The cost could drop enormously if SOLAS said that every life jacket should now have one of these. Millions would have to be produced in a very short time and the patent be opened to many providers on an emergency basis. Who knows?

Can you imagine 3500 PLB (Personal locator beacons) transmtting at the same time from the same geographical area......

Rgds

:):)

On the NBC Today Show this morning, they indicate that the sixteenth body has been found in Italy at the Costa wreck site and detailed the challenges for divers to be search the sunk hulk of this ship. Sad!!

From Monday's Wall Street Journal, they have this headline on a comprehensive story: "Carnival CEO Lies Low After Wreck" with these highlights: "The leaking, submerged Costa Concordia represents the stiffest challenge yet for the 62-year-old Mr. Arison, who over more than three decades has quietly built Carnival into the world's largest cruise-ship company. Today it boasts a stock-market capitalization of $18 billion and annual revenue of $16 billion, more than twice as large by both measures as Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., the next-largest company. Images of the massive shipwreck and transcripts of the chaotic evacuation threaten an industry that has enjoyed a reputation for safety and few major accidents. Cruise operators, in the midst of what traditionally is their heaviest booking season, already have been grappling with high fuel prices and Europe's weakening economy. By maintaining a low public profile during the Costa Concordia crisis, Mr. Arison and Carnival also might limit the focus on the parent company and its other cruise lines. Of Carnival Corp.'s 101 ships, only 15 sail under the Costa brand."

This detailed analysis looks closely at the mega cruise giant and their big owner/CEO. Clearly the "PR play" is to keep Arison out of the spotlight and lessen the "splash-back" on the Carnival name and its various cruise brands. Not everyone can get the full Wall Street Journal stories, but it is a very insightful journalistic piece on Carnival and the overall pressures in the cruise business. Looking at the longer-term view, Carnival has had big revenue growth, but its shares have struggled in recent years. They had dropped 28% in the 12 months before the Costa accident. They have been impacted by industrywide concerns about fuel costs and the European economy. Profits have tightened as vacationers resisted price increases in the wake of the recession. Carnival shares closed Friday at $31.56, down from $52.39 five years earlier. Since the accident, most of the quick, first-two-days loss has been recovered.

From the Business Week Bloomberg newswire this morning, they have this headline: "Italy Urged to Curb Cruise Ship Routes After Concordia Accident" with these highlights: "Pressure mounted on Italy to ban cruise ships from passing too close to coastlines more than a week after Carnival Corp.’ Costa Concordia capsized off the Giglio Island, killing at least 15 people. UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, yesterday urged the Italian government to restrict access of large cruise ships near “culturally and ecologically important areas.” Italy’s Environment Minister Corrado Clini is working on new rules for routes along coastal areas and plans to meet cruise companies on Jan. 26"

Full stories at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204624204577177131752006116.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-24/italy-urged-to-curb-cruise-ship-routes-after-concordia-accident.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.302 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

No, it was mentioned as a comment to a news story I read, and it was definitely some sort of evacuation equipment.

It caught my eye, and I figured with the amazing technical backgrounds found here, someone might be familiar with it.

I assume this kind of 'pod' to be the sort of evacuation equipment that some oil (and/or gas) riggs use. Its a large ('plastic'?) streamlined waterproof 'capsule' container. Crew (not normally visitors on oil riggs) are strapped in and the pod launched from the oil rigg, in an emergency or a drill, a bit like a depth charge.... except it doesn't explode (hopefully!) but pops back up to the sea surface I guess there may be some limiting height threshold above the sea surface beyond which this form of evacuation may be unsafe?

So, if I'm correct, someone may be suggesting the development of similar systems for passenger cruise ships?

Deck officer to advise?

Just received this advertising e-mail from amazon.com:

Hi,

Customers who have shown an interest in emergency kits might like to know about our bestselling emergency kits and supplies ...

I think that's all generated automatically from your clicks.

I assume this kind of 'pod' to be the sort of evacuation equipment that some oil (and/or gas) riggs use. Its a large ('plastic'?) streamlined waterproof 'capsule' container. Crew (not normally visitors on oil riggs) are strapped in and the pod launched from the oil rigg, in an emergency or a drill, a bit like a depth charge.... except it doesn't explode (hopefully!) but pops back up to the sea surface I guess there may be some limiting height threshold above the sea surface beyond which this form of evacuation may be unsafe?

So, if I'm correct, someone may be suggesting the development of similar systems for passenger cruise ships?

Deck officer to advise?

The type of system being referred to is called the 'free fall system, using gravity to launch the lifeboats... see video

The people are strapped into their seats prior to being released, I would imagine that this system is not suitable to young children and/or the elderly due to the power that it hits the water causing a severe jerking motion to the people inside.

Rgds

:)

The type of system being referred to is called the 'free fall system, using gravity to launch the lifeboats... see video

The people are strapped into their seats prior to being released, I would imagine that this system is not suitable to young children and/or the elderly due to the power that it hits the water causing a severe jerking motion to the people inside.

Rgds

Nifty. What if they had a retractable track that would lessen the distance of the actual fall?

Rgds

Thanks DJ. Yes, that's the kind of system I had in mind. Your coment about the jerking on deceleration links with my query about the height restriction. Also, have there been opportunities to test performance in severe weather, howling gales, night launches, etc. I can't see it working well if launched capsules hang around & drift around the ship. In that situation what would prevent a launched capsule/lifeboat from dropping on to ones previously launched? They are powered but would they get away from the scene fast enough in the chaos of a sinking ship evacuation?

Just found this old video which was posted to YouTube last march and had only been viewed by a few thousand people when I stumbled on it.

It claims to be a bridge of the Costa Concordia. It appears to be the real deal but I have no way of verifying it. can anyone help with that?

What is of interest/concern here is the sky larking on the bridge of a ship under sail. The officers on duty don't seem to be concentrating on their duties, are distracted and even let a passenger use some controls. Is this the type of atmosphere that was on the bridge that night before the crash?

It does seem to indicate a culture that would be likely to cause a disaster like we have seen, rather than prevent it.

Thanks DJ. Yes, that's the kind of system I had in mind. Your coment about the jerking on deceleration links with my query about the height restriction. Also, have there been opportunities to test performance in severe weather, howling gales, night launches, etc. I can't see it working well if launched capsules hang around & drift around the ship. In that situation what would prevent a launched capsule/lifeboat from dropping on to ones previously launched? They are powered but would they get away from the scene fast enough in the chaos of a sinking ship evacuation?

I was thinking of the same thing, the possibility of launching one while another one happens to be right underneath.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16638399

this may have already been posted here. It is a good account of rescue efforts told by the Deputy Mayor who boarded the ship to help.

How did the deputy Mayor board the ship from a life boat???? Who let this guy just take a lifeboat and start steering it?

The ship was already listing and there's never been a mention of a ladder.

I'd also like to know how he nagivagated the darkens ship and found the bridge? Wouldn't the doors to the bridge already be closed or locked at that point?

Just found this old video which was posted to YouTube last march and had only been viewed by a few thousand people when I stumbled on it.

It claims to be a bridge of the Costa Concordia. It appears to be the real deal but I have no way of verifying it.

At one point in the video you see the ship call sign IBNY on one of the consoles, which belongs to Costa Fortuna.

How did the deputy Mayor board the ship from a life boat???? Who let this guy just take a lifeboat and start steering it?

The ship was already listing and there's never been a mention of a ladder.

I'd also like to know how he nagivagated the darkens ship and found the bridge? Wouldn't the doors to the bridge already be closed or locked at that point?

I'm pretty certain the word "bridge" is a mistranslation for "deck" Not only does it make sense more sense in context, but someone here posted that it is the same word in Italian.

These systems are well used in the North Sea on the oil rigs, to be able to work on rigs one has to go to a special centre to learn how to use these lifeboats. I must admit that I would be nervous to use them and would stick with the older type. I should imagine again the lifeboat manufacturers are looking towards new versions however it comes down to costs again and how much it would cost the companies. Shocking I know but its the case

When they are release they move down with some momentum and the engine (Not sure if its automatically started or by the helmsman) is started before it hits the water, the speed of the drop and the engine motion moves it away from the installation. Like all lifeboats they are very robust and safe, not forgetting seaworthy.

regards

But how did the Deputy Mayor get from the lifeboat at sea level up on to the deck of the ship?

I wondered that myself, plus the concept of anyone letting a civilian snag a lifeboat.

But I do enough questioning of the bad stories...I'm afraid to question the good ones! :D

It claims to be a bridge of the Costa Concordia. It appears to be the real deal but I have no way of verifying it. can anyone help with that?

What is of interest/concern here is the sky larking on the bridge of a ship under sail. The officers on duty don't seem to be concentrating on their duties, are distracted and even let a passenger use some controls. Is this the type of atmosphere that was on the bridge that night before the crash?

It does seem to indicate a culture that would be likely to cause a disaster like we have seen, rather than prevent it.

Well, I watched the video and I can't say I saw any unprofessional behaviour by the officers on the bridge or any activity that would concern me. (I did, though, notice the cameraman's interest in some rear appendages which, for factually accuracy alone and no other reason at all, I will describe as 'female'!)

I noticed that this guest tour occurred while the ship was 'at sea' and no other shipping in sight. I see no reason to believe those officers would have allowed themselves to be distracted should they be travelling at speed, at night, a few metres form a rocky coastline.... not that they would ever have allowed such a situation to develop!

And, gee, what fabulous equipment!! With all that help, how is it possible to run out of sea!! I never have had a bridge tour until today, so many thanks for this post. It was so informative!

Oh, do you think Schettino forgot to go shopping for the cloves of garlick? Is that why it happened?!

Archived