Alaksa having record snow fall this year

arlodog

I heard about this on the news today and all I could think of is....I wonder how it will be by the early May cruise season this year! :confused: Should be beautiful and still snowy at the beginning of the season.

http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/01/13/heavy-alaska-snow-causing-boats-sink

We have not had any snow so far this year, and I kinda miss the white stuff, but glad I am not in 27 feet of snow!:rolleyes:

With all this snow, there may be some left on the ground in early May. I would not be surprised at all. Certainly, the mountains will still be very snowy.

THere will probably be a few remnents of avalanches along the highway. The Seaward Highway was closed for over 12 hours because of avalanches.

By early may there will be no avalanche danger and things will be turning green.

At least I hope so:confused:

The Alaska Dispatch, an-line newspaper, has posted some interesting video of the snow in Cordova (www.alaskadispatch.com).

The official low temperature overnight in Fairbanks was -45. After looking at photos and video of both Valdez and Cordova I prefer the cold to the snow.

I take a look at the Fairbanks webcam almost every day. We have never been there before - but will be in June. Since you live in Fairbanks, can you tell me what building we are looking at in the webcam? I'd love to see it "in person" when we go there in a few months (without the snow of course)!

To VegasCrossfire:

I just looked at the Arctic Cam. When you live here you rarely check it. In any event, the webcam is on top of the Daily News-Miner building. The frontage road through the parking lots enters Cushman Street on the left. The building toward the right in the parking lot is the historic Big I bar and the equally historic Immaculate Conception Church is to the left. The rows of flags are on one of the bridges crossing the Chena River. Across the bridge, the building on the left is the Springhill Suites. One of the best restaurants in Fairbanks, Lavelles, is on the first floor. The boxy building on the right is the Key Bank building, which has the main Key Bank branch on the first floor, and a number of legal and other professional offices above.

Today you are looking at the famous phenomena called ice fog. Ice fog is basically ice crystals which form in the air at very cold temperatures. Fairbanks rarely has any wind at all in the winter, and also has some of the strongest temperature inversions ever documented. When these inversions set up the temperature is warmer in the hills than downtown, and the ice fog is trapped at lower elevations.

We live on Chena Ridge, and at our home today it is clear and sunny. When we meet people on cruises who have been to Fairbanks, I ask them if they took the Riverboat Discovery. If they did, then they have an excellent idea where we live. We can't see Denali from our home, but the mountains Hayes, Hess and Deborah are as beautiful today.

Archived