Oasis Boardwalk Balcony or Oceanview (Cat. F)?

weisla

Currently booked in cabin 10510 (Oceanview, no balcony, Category F) for Oasis 3/10/12 sailing, but can change at no cost to a Boardwalk Balcony. I've been watching rates, hoping to upgrade to an OV Balcony for a nominal charge, and I can switch to a D8 for $300 total, or a D7 for $360 - waited too long, could have upgraded to D7 for under $300 a few weeks ago. However, I'd prefer to avoid paying any upgrade fee to save funds for visits to specialty restaurants.

Any thoughts on the Category F vs. Boardwalk Balcony? Right now it looks like my best options for the BV are cabins 8728, 11319, or 12321. This will be an adults only cruise, and we tend to stay up and sleep in late, so no concerns about noise at night. I do wonder about noise from the boardwalk, especially the carousel, during the day though (DH enjoys afternoon naps!). Cabin 10510 would certainly be more private (and possibly a bit more spacious if what I've read here is accurate), but the BVs on 11 or 12 would give us close access to the 'secret' aft balconies. Either would be a long walk as 10510 is completely forward and the BV's are pretty much completely aft. This doesn't bother me too much, as I'll need to walk off the cruise pounds:D

I could also hold out to see if there are any reductions on Tuesday. This is a popular sailing, but there appear to be about 60 Oceanview Balconies and 55 Boardwalk balconies still available.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

You already paid final payment, you won't be able to get the tuesday sale prices.

Call and ask for cabin #14299,. it's a larger (HandiCap) B1 that is available once it gets close to your sailing date it's available to anyone.

Extra room will be nice to have.

Jimbo:)

I'd take 11329.

the handicap cabin would be bigger, but it would bother me to take one of the few HC lest a disabled person decided to book in the next 2 months. Or if somebody already booked were to be injured and need the accessible cabin. Deck 14 is also right below a public deck, so there may be more noise during those afternoon naps.

I'd take 11329.

the handicap cabin would be bigger, but it would bother me to take one of the few HC lest a disabled person decided to book in the next 2 months. Or if somebody already booked were to be injured and need the accessible cabin. Deck 14 is also right below a public deck, so there may be more noise during those afternoon naps.

I wouldn't take that cabin if it wasn't within the 2 month sailing period that they allow anyone to book those cabins. If a disabled person is going on a cruise you would hope they would plan far enough ahead to get one of those cabins if they should need one.

What kind of injury could you have on a cruise where you would need a handicap cabin. If the injury is that serious you will not be contining your cruise would you?

I wouldn't take that cabin if it wasn't within the 2 month sailing period that they allow anyone to book those cabins. If a disabled person is going on a cruise you would hope they would plan far enough ahead to get one of those cabins if they should need one.

What kind of injury could you have on a cruise where you would need a handicap cabin. If the injury is that serious you will not be contining your cruise would you?

I have a young family member in a wheelchair. Certainly he tries to plan ahead to get accessible rooms in hotels (or on a ship should he ever sail), but his life, like an young, active, ablebodied person, can change at the drop of a hat. So I'd like folks in chairs to be able to get suitable rooms, if they happened to have time and money to work in a last minute cruise. Why take it if there are other great cabins available?

Also, I see posts occassionally where somebody in the weeks before a sceduled cruise broke a leg, or an ankle, or had surgery, or or developed balance issues, or was diagnosed with cancer, or had a flare of a disease like MS that caused them to suddenly need a scooter or wheelchair or bathroom grab bars. These people are faced with the cancel or go dilemma; if an HC cabin is available, they can make the choice:)...If an AB person takes it, they have to stay home:(. So, I would hesitate to take an HC cabin 2 months before a cruise unless there were either A) plenty of HC cabins available or B) the HC was the only cabin left or C) the final days before sailing. That is just my humble opinion, worth just what the OP paid for it;).

Besides, that HC is below a public deck and is likely to noisier and others are close to the secret decks on 11 and 12. 11329 looks good to me...

I'd go for the Boardwalk balcony. I'd take 12321.

I am thinking of booking this room One floor down, 11321 or 11721. Just curious as to why you suggested that room? location, room setup? I'd love to hear your thoughts. I originally booked inside cabin 7405 on Oasis but I'm think of changing to a Boardwalk balcony tomorrow.

I am thinking of booking this room One floor down, 11321 or 11721. Just curious as to why you suggested that room? location, room setup? I'd love to hear your thoughts. I originally booked inside cabin 7405 on Oasis but I'm think of changing to a Boardwalk balcony tomorrow.

I think 11321 has the bed by the balcony, the other probably has bed by bath. I like the bed by balcony, but select the one that is right for you.:D.

I have a young family member in a wheelchair. Certainly he tries to plan ahead to get accessible rooms in hotels (or on a ship should he ever sail), but his life, like an young, active, ablebodied person, can change at the drop of a hat. So I'd like folks in chairs to be able to get suitable rooms, if they happened to have time and money to work in a last minute cruise. Why take it if there are other great cabins available?

Also, I see posts occassionally where somebody in the weeks before a sceduled cruise broke a leg, or an ankle, or had surgery, or or developed balance issues, or was diagnosed with cancer, or had a flare of a disease like MS that caused them to suddenly need a scooter or wheelchair or bathroom grab bars. These people are faced with the cancel or go dilemma; if an HC cabin is available, they can make the choice:)...If an AB person takes it, they have to stay home:(. So, I would hesitate to take an HC cabin 2 months before a cruise unless there were either A) plenty of HC cabins available or B) the HC was the only cabin left or C) the final days before sailing. That is just my humble opinion, worth just what the OP paid for it;).

Besides, that HC is below a public deck and is likely to noisier and others are close to the secret decks on 11 and 12. 11329 looks good to me...

And your reasons are exactly why the cruiseline has the right to bump you from your cabin to another cabin if you don't really need it.

No matter, the cruiseline will sell those cabins at the end to whoever to make money rather then leaving them empty when the ship sails. Those cabins will not be left empty.

I would definately book the boardwalk balcony if there is no additional charge. I was in 10729 on Allure in October and have booked same cabin for October this year. Several afternoons I took a nap and was not disturbed at all from the boardwalk noise. I also am a light sleeper.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I certainly didn't mean to stir up debate about booking accessible cabins with this thread. Aside from that discussion, it sounds to me that the consensus is to go for a Boardwalk Balcony over an Oceanview non-balcony cabin. It seems to me that it is generally better to be further aft in these cabins, and I like the idea of being close to the aft public balconies, so I am going to try for 12321, with 11319 as my second choice.

Archived