advice needed for my mom boarding Liberty today

My mom and dad booked this particular cruise because there are country and western shows on board. She was looking forward to that. She has a travel agent helping her. When they got on the ship all of the shows were booked/sold out. I know for Oasis class you need to pre book but I did not realize that for the Liberty. I called her and she was crying. My mom and I don't always have the best relationship but my heart went out for her. The travel agent did not prebook the shows. The agent's response when my mom called was "I didn't know! Outrageous!!!! That is her job. Please any advice on what my mother can do, who she can talk to would be appreciated. She's on the ship now. They are diamond members on their way to being diamond plus. Have booked with this agent before but never again!

Chances are they will have no problem seeing all of the shows. The booking of shows before boarding is a relatively new thing on the Freedom class. My understanding, and experience, is that you can book the shows but they also open up the seating about 15 minutes before the shows and those waiting will typically get a seat. Many people sign up for a show and then don't attend. Hope your mom has a great cruise.

My mom and dad booked this particular cruise because there are country and western shows on board. She was looking forward to that. She has a travel agent helping her. When they got on the ship all of the shows were booked/sold out. I know for Oasis class you need to pre book but I did not realize that for the Liberty. I called her and she was crying. My mom and I don't always have the best relationship but my heart went out for her. The travel agent did not prebook the shows. The agent's response when my mom called was "I didn't know! Outrageous!!!! That is her job. Please any advice on what my mother can do, who she can talk to would be appreciated. She's on the ship now. They are diamond members on their way to being diamond plus. Have booked with this agent before but never again!

Have them see the D concierge.. he should be able to hook them up...;)

Oh thanks everybody. I feel a little better. When I was on oasis had no problem getting a seat on standby. Hopefully it's like that. I'm just not sure if these Country and Western shows are different and are in addition to the regular entertainment. She does plan to talk to someone at the diamond cocktail hour. I'm not sure if it was the concierge. I'll tell her thst though. Thanks. How do we find a travel agent that is an expert on RCI.

Have them see the D concierge.. he should be able to hook them up...;)

Since they are Diamond, have them contact the Diamond Concierge and see if he/she can get them tickets.

Ditto. We were on the Liberty on New Years and the Diamond Concierge was Oana. She is fabulous and very helpful. Let your mom know to go straight to the Diamond Lounge on Deck 14 or else call. There should be a letter with contact info in her stateroom.

You can also try Abundance, the Loyalty Ambassador assistant. While she handles mostly cruise sales, she was able to help us with a few D+ issues very quickly and efficiently. She "gets" it.

Finally, she can try the box office on boarding day. It was in the Sphinx Lounge for my cruise.

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

Thanks again. I knew I would get some advice here. Turns out the country and western entertainment is separate from royal Caribbean's entertainment. It would cost quite a bit more a few hundred to several hundred dollars to see the shows. My mother thought it was included so being a frugal person she doesn't want to pay all thst money anyway. The TA didn't know anything about it being a countryand western cruise or much of anything. Not good. Go figure.

Sometimes, the agents DON'T KNOW there's a themed cruise planned by a group...these, many times, are handled directly by one agent or agency, and in order to participate in their "private" activities, such as the shows or similar, the passenger has to book with/through the specific agency. I don't think that their agent "not knowing" is a matter of their being "not good"....look at all the folks that have been on cruises, not knowing til they get on board, that a good chunk of the passengers are part of a "theme group"... JMHO

Mrs. Fixit is correct - don't blame the agent -- agents really DONT know if there is a particular theme cruise on board unless the client tells them.. then they can do research.. but they likely will not be able to assist in getting them included in the special group....

Yes you are both correct. It appears that it was a specific group one had to book with to be a part of that group. I'm not sure how my mom heard about it but didn't book with the group putting it on. Dad said rci didn't know anything about the themed cruise either. So yes, I realize it wasn't the TAs fault. I guess I'm a control freak and am happy planning things myself. Though with a very knowledgeable TA there are benefits.

I was wondering if this was going to be "extra cost" entertainment. It seems several lines are doing this now. Just another "for pay" option. Someone mentioned the RCI probably didn't know about it. I'm sure the ships management knew as the have to provide the space and crew to put on the show. Also, the performers are paid so the money has to come from somewhere. And they do charge for those services. They may not have shared that information with the reservation staff and TA's, but they knew. Another example of the move toward "Tourist/First Class" accommodations. Hopefully, they will have a great cruise anyway.

I was wondering if this was going to be "extra cost" entertainment. It seems several lines are doing this now. Just another "for pay" option. Someone mentioned the RCI probably didn't know about it. I'm sure the ships management knew as the have to provide the space and crew to put on the show. Also, the performers are paid so the money has to come from somewhere. And they do charge for those services. They may not have shared that information with the reservation staff and TA's, but they knew. Another example of the move toward "Tourist/First Class" accommodations. Hopefully, they will have a great cruise anyway.

As someone who has put together group theme cruises, they are NOT put together by the cruiseline, but by private promoters who foot the bill for the entertainers that are brought on board, which is what the extra fee covers.

My Dad was looking into taking one of those Country Western cruises..he really likes the older country music stars...but to book thru their TA & be able to enjoy the musicians & other events the cost of the cruise was more than DOUBLE the regular cruise price...he decided he didn't want to see any of them that bad...:eek:

Archived