this shows how serious this accident was:

rog747

That's a pretty incredible video, though I don't see anything that I would be described as chaos or people clinging on for their lives. It looked to me like they had stretched some sort of ladder down the side of the ship so people could climb down to rescue boats, which in itself would probably have been pretty terrifying, but it looked like everyone else was just standing or sitting on the side!! of the boat waiting.

A firsthand account from someone that clung to that ladder described it as clinging for their lives and a death defying jump to the waiting boats. The ship was slowly rolling over as they try to find a safe way off the ship after watching their chance at a lifeboat literally roll away. It took 3 or 4 hours to get these people all off. I think most people would be fairly sure that they could die at any time. Terrifying.

Looks like heat signature from something big and warm inside the ship. On the keel, amidships, centered fore and aft and side to side. Engines maybe? Generators? Most modern ships use big gas turbine engines (jet engines) to spin electrical generators that then use electric motors to turn the screws to make the ship go. I'm hypothesizing that this area of the ship would stay warm for a long time, especially as compared to the cold of the hull...

I'm completely willing to entertain other hypotheses!

Jim

Take a look at the video around 4:15.... There is a big dark rectangle on the center line of the keel just forward of the gash....

Does anyone have a clue as to what that might be? It's pretty big.

Aloha,

John

Stabilizer, still deployed, 90 degree angle to a normally upright vessel...but in this case, barely recognizeable.

thanks everyone for confirming that the video seems to be real and not a fake as i would have been a right fool if i had posted a fake!

it has not yet been picked up by UK TV as yet...

so thank you all very much for confirming the authenticity of the film

our thoughts go now to the brave divers and other people involved in rescue

and recovery still..highly dangerous

of course also,

the news that still awaits for so many others must be ghastly to bear at this time...

the video is here of the night vision rescue film shot by the coast guard

helicopter showing the last remaining pax and crew awaiting rescue on the side

of the overturned ship

waiting for small boats or the chopper to winch them off...

we assume that power has been lost and the ship has no lights left?

heres the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwmz9LN8wcE

Looks like heat signature from something big and warm inside the ship. On the keel, amidships, centered fore and aft and side to side. Engines maybe? Generators? Most modern ships use big gas turbine engines (jet engines) to spin electrical generators that then use electric motors to turn the screws to make the ship go. I'm hypothesizing that this area of the ship would stay warm for a long time, especially as compared to the cold of the hull...

Jim

Or possibly a large hot water tank or part of the water/steam distillate system? Again, just a WAG. Some sort of big warm(er) thermal mass.

You can see still photos from the video here on Italian media:

http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/

Also if you use google chrome or yahoo.babelfish.com you can read the captain's conversation with the coast guard.

http://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/cronaca/toscana/articoli/1034156/concordia-nelle-telefonate-alla-guardia-costiera-tutte-le-bugie-del-comandante.shtml

The captain tells a series of lies stating he is on the ship when he is on the ground. Then the captain is ordered back on the ship by the coast guard who took over command. The coast guard informs the captain there are already dead, the captain asks how many. The coast guard tells the captain he must return to the boat and inform the coast guard how many people are left and what the conditions are. Then the coast guard becomes angry and asks the captain sarcastically if he wants to go home. The captain agrees to go back on the ship but never returns.

Some audio recordings are available now through the website but, of course, in the italian language.

I'm not an engineer by any means but why did the ship list the opposite way from the hole. I would have thought the water going in the hole would pull the ship the other direction.

I was wondering the same thing. I would imagine the initial gash would have inundated the area almost instantly given the size of the hole. I wonder if there is some unknown damage on the starboard side as well? You can see from the sequence of pictures the ship settled starboard stern first.

To those looking at the night vision video, it looks like the bow had not yet filled with water, which would mean it was still buoyant, and probably did leave the ship closer to a 90 degree angle until it finally filled and settled onto the bottom.

I'm not an engineer by any means but why did the ship list the opposite way from the hole. I would have thought the water going in the hole would pull the ship the other direction.

Some people have speculated that the water in the ship sloshed to the other side during a turn and therefore tilted the ship.

Isn't there an underwater photo of a hole in the ship that looks like different hole? Is it possible that there was the original hole and another was caused by running the ship aground? The water depth there, as reported, is considerably lower than the ship's draft.

Just wondering...

Jim

Uh... gas? I am pretty sure they use marine grade diesel. I hope so anyhow. It burns cleaner and is considerably less flamable. It won't explode, just burn. A heck of a lot safer. But then I could be wrong, given the lack of common sense I've seen from this line over the past few weeks, maybe they do use gas...

My Italian is horrible but after trying to read through some of the conversation...the coast guard is telling the captain there are still children, women and others and I believe he's telling him...you're leaving (or you left) without helping?

We need some real Italian speakers on here to clarify (not just this Canadian born one) :o

From what I can decipher this captain should be charged...heartless pig left others to die. With 29 still missing he may have more blood on his hands.

Hopefully they find the remaining alive. It's sad enough that 6 lost their lives to this grave human decision.

My thoughts and prayers with all and their families.

What a stunning footage. Many people were still on board while the ship had already capsized! Until now I thought "everyone" had already left when the Concordia heeled over. That reminds me of the famous footage from the sinking of the German cruiser Blücher in WWI.

What an incredible video. The people atanding on the hull seem so calm as they wiait to climb down to the rescue boats. And then others stand next to helpless, useless lifeboats. All the captains of the small craft assisting are heros - they were in danger, too, stuck to the side of the listing ship. It could have begun to settle and taken them all down. I wonder if the passengers knew they were so close to the hull breech.

ok...how do you climb up to that flat area the used to be the side (vertical plane) of the ship? as the ship is listing and then capsized, the floors become walls and vice-versa. how in the bleep-bleep did these people actually get to this area and not thrown off as the ship tipped?

ok...how do you climb up to that flat area the used to be the side (vertical plane) of the ship? as the ship is listing and then capsized, the floors become walls and vice-versa. how in the bleep-bleep did these people actually get to this area and not thrown off as the ship tipped?

Hanging onto anything they could and going over the rail.

i'm playing it in my head, and there is no way i could have physically done this. it really boggles my mind.

so, do you think they started up on the outside top deck? there would really be nothing to help from the inside of the ship....the rooms are usually large and pretty open or large halls with nothing to grab inside a ship.

My Italian is horrible but after trying to read through some of the conversation...the coast guard is telling the captain there are still children, women and others and I believe he's telling him...you're leaving (or you left) without helping?

We need some real Italian speakers on here to clarify (not just this Canadian born one) :o

From what I can decipher this captain should be charged...heartless pig left others to die. With 29 still missing he may have more blood on his hands.

Hopefully they find the remaining alive. It's sad enough that 6 lost their lives to this grave human decision.

My thoughts and prayers with all and their families.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma80H1UaAkY&feature=youtu.be

It's pretty horrible & the captain seems to have no heart or he is so stunned he just follows one lie after the next to try to protect himself. He seems extremely uncaring and the coast guard captain that took over is yelling very loudly and angrily at the commander. The audio of the call is available on various news outlets in Italy, my mate translated for me. This is in addition to what I wrote above. The coast guard called the captain on his cell phone.

In the beginning of the audio the captain claims he is on a boat next to the ship and that all have been evacuated except for about 100. It sounds like the coast guard already knows he is on land and lying and tells him he is being recorded. The coast guard tells the captain to climb up the rope on the side of the ship and check the situation. At about that point the captain of the ship replies something to the effect of "the ship is sinking" as a reason to not go back on board. The coast guard tells tells him there are people dead and he needs to get back on the ship. The captain asks "how many" and then the coast guard commander becomes very angry and yells that there are children on board and he orders him to get back on the ship again but he never reboards.

It's pretty dramatic if you can find a full english translation. Everyone I know here on the subject is wondering the captain's state of mind because he is either stupid, panicked, or a man with no honor. Sounds to me and this is my opinion only that he did everything possible to compound one lie after the next after the original accident to save himself from trouble and he just dug himself in deeper and deeper.

i'm playing it in my head, and there is no way i could have physically done this. it really boggles my mind.

so, do you think they started up on the outside top deck? there would really be nothing to help from the inside of the ship....the rooms are usually large and pretty open or large halls with nothing to grab inside a ship.

My guess is that by the time the ship was listing heavily, everyone who was capable of getting to the top deck had done so.

I wonder when the ship actually capsized? As far as I can tell, I can find no pictures of the time after all the starboard lifeboats are gone until it is lying on its side. I can't imagine everyone with a camera went to bed during that time.

Uh... gas? I am pretty sure they use marine grade diesel. I hope so anyhow. It burns cleaner and is considerably less flamable. It won't explode, just burn. A heck of a lot safer. But then I could be wrong, given the lack of common sense I've seen from this line over the past few weeks, maybe they do use gas...

Yes, "gas turbine" is the term used in the power generation industry. As opposed to wind turbine or water turbine. The "turbine" refers to the spinning part that generates the electricity. Diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene...all about the same stuff.

Archived