five cabins...?

Going through royal caribbean directly do they give any discounts if you book five or more cabins? Im looking at a cruise early next year as a Christmas present to several family members and it would probably end up being five or six cabins, didn't know if there was any type of discount/incentive for booking that many.

We used a travel agent for our first two cruises but wasn't ever impressed with her or completely happy so for our last three we've just booked online ourselves but maybe in this case a travel agent might offer a perk worth looking into?

Also we've always sailed with royal and disney but for this, I'm looking at three and four night bahama (some of the more frugal offerings) :) so I've been researching carnival also, does anyone know if they offer incentives for five or more?

well I had planned on hopefully taking advantage of the next WOW sale and using the onboard credits to help prepay the gratuities. honestly it's been like seven years since we used our travel agent and even then she never offered us any onboard credit, etc. i know it depends on WHO your travel agent is but does an agent's onboard credit usually compare to the WOW sale or are we talking big difference?

Sorry but the answer is no. A group is consider 8 rooms by RCL

No, a group starts at 8 cabins.

Our group actually booked 10 cabins, but we did it all separately, so we didn't see any discounts.

This is and is not correct...while a group does start with 8 cabins.....a TA can still open it up as a group for you...that will give what they call "GAP" points to use that can be used for various things...OBC would be one of them. Royal guaranties those amenities to the cabins booked even if the group doesn't reach 8 cabins. While it is true that TA's can't discount.....they can kick part of their commission back in the form of an OBC...and giving a TA 5 or 6 bookings at once...I am sure one would be willing to do that.

thanks for the responses! once i decide which ship i'll def talk to a travel agent!

RCL doen't DISCOUNT the cost of a cabin, they give an OBC instead.

I've booked groups through RCL's group res number and they give a $50obc to everyone in the group regardless of how many are in the 'group'.

If you book more than 8 cabins, RCL will give you back the amount of one 'fare' of YOUR reservation based on the most cabins booked in one category. So if you book 5 interior cabins and 3 ocean view cabins, you get the amount of ONE cruise fare of an interior cabin credited back to you or you can transfer it into another OBC for the rest of the group.

You don't have to be a TA or go through one to get these OBC's. Just give their group reps a call and they will set you up with cabins that fit your budget and will make sure everything is linked together. The only downfall is that you have to call RCL groups to make payments or changes that you would normally be able to do on your own.

As others have posted, TA's might be able to offer a bigger OBC from having a larger block of rooms held, so definately shop around.

Bajathree,

I have never heard of a group less than 8 cabins before, I tried this numerous times and was always told I needed 8 cabins. It even states this very clearly on RCL group page. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/groupTravelSitelet.do?pagename=group_travel&cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=15 Look right below the "GET IN TOUCH"

I will call again and see as well since I have a group of 6 rooms on Allure all linked together now.

Bajathree,

I have never heard of a group less than 8 cabins before, I tried this numerous times and was always told I needed 8 cabins. It even states this very clearly on RCL group page. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/groupTravelSitelet.do?pagename=group_travel&cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=15 Look right below the "GET IN TOUCH"

I will call again and see as well since I have a group of 6 rooms on Allure all linked together now.

Use a TA next time;)

Nay I like to be in control of my own reservations. If the $50 OBC is only gotten if you use a travel agent I will pass. Nothing against all you TA's out there:) I have gotten enough price drops on my own over the last ten years that I have more than made out.

Nay I like to be in control of my own reservations. If the $50 OBC is only gotten if you use a travel agent I will pass. Nothing against all you TA's out there:) I have gotten enough price drops on my own over the last ten years that I have more than made out.

That's the beauty of RCL, you are in control of your own res if you call and set up your own group. They say it has to be 8 to be reffered to as a group and to be recognised as one on the ship, but it can be any number of cabins. The 8 is to push you to try and get the bigger rebate for yourself. That's how you get the discount 'group' rate... You automatically get $50, then you get MORE once you get 8 cabins. If the price drops, call them up and get the new lower advertised rate. No 3rd party TA's to play phone tag with!!!

Archived