New to Holland

Lauderdalegal

Hi - hoping to get some advice. I'm a diamond member on Royal Caribbean and because of itinerary am thinking about the Westerdam in April. I have a couple questions for the pros:)

I prefer the radiance and enchantment with rc is Westerdam similar? We usually book a D1 or Junior Suite on rc and I also have a preference for big balconies (1100 on Radiance and 7166 on Enchantment) any simialar catagories or must have cabin choices? I've also heard that HAL is more of a senior crowd is this so? I'm 45 and hubby 54.

I appreciate any help and helpful hints.

We are also Diamond on RCCL but last 2 cruises were Hal, we had ss on Westerdam it was about 300 sq ft with 100 sq ft balconey, catagory SB has the biggest wrap around balcony you could ask for. We are a few years older but I think you will like HAL.

Hi Lauderlegal! Welcome to HAL!

I can't help you compare to the RC cabins, as I have never sailed that line. But we were 44 and 49 when we first tried HAL, and our first ship was the Noordam, a sister ship of the Westerdam. We fell in love with the ship AND the line. We did not find that the crowd was "too old," even though our travel agent had cautioned this. We felt most of the people on board were our age or within 10 years of us. We met many interesting people, and there were lots of folks younger than we were! Lots of couples in their 30s and some in their 20s, too. A few families with children. Yes, there were older folks, but I didn't feel they dominated the cruise. Then again, it was August and a lot of states/countries were still on summer break (it was later August). We had "anytime" dinner seating so we could adjust our plans according to our day's excursions, and we met lots of lovely people at dinner that way. We also saw some of the shows (some good, some just so so) and enjoyed dancing in both the disco (Northern Lights) and the Ocean Bar (a live jazz trio). Or just having a night cap in the Crow's Nest later on. We didn't feel like the ship totally shut down with nothing to do for late night entertainment, as some have said.

We are 47 and 52 and eagerly looking forward to our Westerdam cruise in May! I'm sure you will find a cabin that suits your needs and tastes.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I can't compare with RCI not having sailed on any of their ships, however, I can tell you that cat SC and SB aboard the Westerdam feature the largest balconies you can imagine. I've had 7151 Cat SB and 6166 Cat SC and and am booked again in April in the SC on the Westerdam's sister, the Zuiderdam.;)

someone posted pictures of sc balonies recently but I do not remember the thread

Joanie keeps a web site of pictures of various cabins (provided by fellow CC'ers). There is a sticky on the top of page 1 that will have a link.

Archived