VOS-Royal Family Suite..

Randi25

Sailing in a few weeks with 13 members of my family. 5 of us are sharing the Royal Family Suite #8394 on VOS.

This is our first time sailing with Royal Caribbean so we've never experienced their suites.

Anyone who has been on Carnival, are these suites as nice or nicer? What about space? Obviously it's a cruise ship so things can't be too large but is it a nice sized cabin? Every time we've sailed with Carnival the water in the shower is never hot enough and there isn't any way to keep the water inside the shower and not get the entire bathroom floor soaked. Is this a more well designed bathroom? My grandmother who is traveling with us is somewhat handicapped so I'm trying to prepare for everything ahead of time.

What's your review on the concierge service? I've read a few things here and there about it. Saw the free bar before and after dinner, what's that like?

Also, every time we've gone on Carnival we've had to take our laptops to a certain level and pay for the internet. On the amenities the suite states it has internet access. Is this wireless and is it free?

Any other review of things I haven't mentioned would be nice.

We travelled in the RFS on Navigator (same class of ship) in Sept 2010. We were "upgraded". For the two of us, it was overkill. It is quite spacious, but both of the bathrooms are small, and if you're going to try to sleep more than 2 in the 2nd bedroom, it will be cramped. The balcony is huge, but has no cover, therefore when ship is sailing, soot will land on the balcony and furniture. It's also a bit of a trek to the elevators. The living/dining area is spacious, but only seating for 4 if you want to eat at a table. Have Fun!!

Rick

We have also been on Voyager twice, the concierge can help with other issues you may have such as show tickets, and answer any questions you may have, so don't hesitate to utilize his/her services. We've had no problems with hot water or water seepage. One other perk of a suite is to be able to sit in Portofino when dining from the Windjammer--better seats and it's more peaceful.

Have Fun, again!!

Rick

Isreal Sanchez is tbe concierge on the Voyager and is a very nice and capable young man. I haven't stayed in a RFS on a Voyager class ship, but have been in comparable cabins on Radiance and Freedom class ships. Since the title includes the word "family", these suites are not particularly luxurious, but do have quite a bit of space. I think you will be pleased with that. Actually, my last two cruises have been in this class of cabin and I have been spoiled by feeling like I have my own mini apartment on a ship.

No free internet even though you there may be access. You'll have to purchase a package.

I've never had a problem with a lack of hot water or with water going all over the floor of the bathroom.

We did the RFS on Voyager two years ago.

I do agree with most, we had two in both bed rooms, and one on the fold out couch.

There is a tub in one bathroom, and a transporter shower in the other.

Now my mum also is handicapped, and asked if they had a tub chair.

The cabin steward brought us one,

and it was nice for her to sit in the tub and take a shower.

:rolleyes:

Sailed in an RFS in December, on the deck above you. If you have that many people sailing with you, you're going to love the living room and balcony--lots of space for everyone to hang out. There's the small dining table inside but there's another, larger table outside the door. We ordered room service (you can order anything from the dining room as long as it's open) and ate out there for many meals. They even bring a tablecloth.

The two bathrooms should be ideal for 5 and there's more than ample storage space--there's even a walk-in closet. The flat screen TV and DVR were new, so it took us (and the technician) a bit of time to learn how to use it but it was great for ordering room service or checking out excursions and our setsail accounts.

I should caution, we did have trouble with soot (ask your cabin attendant for extra beach towels to use as covers for the lounge chairs) but even worse were the window washers. Don't know why, but on our cruise, at least, they were up there 4 out of the 7 days, and we had puddles everywhere, meaning we now had wet soot to tramp all over the carpet.

Not that it spoiled our enjoyment of the suite. There's nothing like watching sailaway from the aft, and yes, it's open, but it was like being in a condensed neighborhood--after awhile, you found yourself looking for your neighbors, commenting on the sunset, asking about their day.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I should caution, we did have trouble with soot (ask your cabin attendant for extra beach towels to use as covers for the lounge chairs) but even worse were the window washers. Don't know why, but on our cruise, at least, they were up there 4 out of the 7 days, and we had puddles everywhere, meaning we now had wet soot to tramp all over the carpet.

Uhhhh-this is something that worries me.:(

I've been worried about soot since this is my first aft cabin. It may be my last. All the space in the world can mean nothing if its filthy.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare you. The room was far from "filthy" --in fact, they brought in the carpet cleaning equipment almost immediately to take care of it. They also replaced all the drapes on our deck that week, which really freshened up the cabin.

Also, I've been in those aft cabins before and had no trouble with soot at all. Maybe it was just the weather.

Don't worry--you'll love it.

Thanks so much for all of the reviews! They've helped immensely. So glad to know they have some extra things to accommodate my grandmother. She will be so relieved, as will we.

So happy to know there's no problems getting hot water or keeping water off the floor.

And since there's 13 of us traveling and the 5 of us are the only ones with a suite I'm sure we will all be hanging out in here quite a bit so I'm happy it's spacious.

Can't wait!

I think only the 5 in the suite will have the concierge lounge privileges which include free drinks in the evening. I don't think you can bring non-suite guests. Or are others also in suites? (And I have read a Junior Suite does not qualify for the concierge privileges.) Also note that recommended tips are higher for suite guests.

only the people actually IN the suite can go into the CL....

and thanks for posting the link to my video...i was going to post it, but someone beat me to it...

there is a LOT of room....tons of storage...

the one bedroom didn't have a TV..just the one that was in the living room and then the main bedroom....

we got it by booking a JR suite guarantee......had the RFS for 1 week and a GS for the 2nd leg....

enjoy

I meant the entire family would be hanging out in the suite quite a bit, not the concierge lounge or anything like that.

Glad there's lots of space and storage! Normally we're tripping over suitcases for an entire week!

Sailing in a few weeks with 13 members of my family. 5 of us are sharing the Royal Family Suite #8394 on VOS.

This is our first time sailing with Royal Caribbean so we've never experienced their suites.

Anyone who has been on Carnival, are these suites as nice or nicer? What about space? Obviously it's a cruise ship so things can't be too large but is it a nice sized cabin? Every time we've sailed with Carnival the water in the shower is never hot enough and there isn't any way to keep the water inside the shower and not get the entire bathroom floor soaked. Is this a more well designed bathroom? My grandmother who is traveling with us is somewhat handicapped so I'm trying to prepare for everything ahead of time.

What's your review on the concierge service? I've read a few things here and there about it. Saw the free bar before and after dinner, what's that like?

Also, every time we've gone on Carnival we've had to take our laptops to a certain level and pay for the internet. On the amenities the suite states it has internet access. Is this wireless and is it free?

Any other review of things I haven't mentioned would be nice.

Randi25,

I've had the experience of sailing with both cruise lines and had suites each time. I personally think the RCCL suites are nicer and larger. Due to the size of my family we've typically selected the Royal Suite, so there is ample space. We've never had issues with water pressure, but did experience grey water on the Enchantment of the Seas, but the maintenance crew was quick to address the concern.

I don't recall the design of the bathroom, but the toilet was separate from the shower and tub. I can't address the handicapped access, but know that both cruise lines do have designated handicapped acessible cabins,

The Crown & Anchor designations have changed somewhat, but most suites have access to the Concierge Lounge (except Jr. Suites) that have a specific loyalty level. It used to be Gold status and above, but I think that changed. The Royal Suite gets access and I believe I read the Royal Family Suite does as well, regardless of loyalty level (check to be sure). There is a free drinks and hor d'oeuvres event each day in the Concierge Lounge, but limited to a believe a 2-hour period or so. Nice and intimant.

As for laptops, you can go to the business service area, but there is a fee. There is also internet access in the suite, but I don't think it's free. Again, you might want to call a certified vacation planner or Crown & Anchor (if you're a member already) and double check what I'm telling you.

Have a great time and I hope some of this information helped.

pretty much the entire ship is accessible..

while a standard WC will fit through the door of the RFS, it will not fit IN as there's a small shelf sticking out of the wall...well, the chair will fit, but it requires lining up perfectly....and 2 people are helpful..one to steer the front, and one to push....once past this shelf, you're good to go.( not sure if you need that info..but you have it.)

small ramps can be provided as well, to get the WC over the threshold to the balcony....again, not sure if this is info you need.

the WC will not fit through all the doors in the RFS..again, not sure you need this info...though it did fit thru the french doors to the bedroom...however, we had to shove the bed against the windows.....

bathrooms in regular cabins are not accessible but there are handles in the shower, and shower seats can be obtained...ask the cabin attendant, or contact the special needs dept at RCI

I THINK that one bathroom had a tub, and the other was a stall shower. The tubs are high to climb over...the showers just a couple inches...i haven't had trouble with a lot of water getting out, but there will be some water on the floor most likely...again, it isn't going to run all over the bathroom.

HTH....let us know if you need other info....(and what is above may well be TMI...but just trying to help!)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

My grandmother isn't completely handicapped. She will be able to walk throughout the cabin using her walker and as far as the bathroom goes as long as there's a shower chair we can get she will be absolutely fine. She will however need a wheelchair to go throughout the ship, she can not walk a long ways so it is good to know that the entire ship is accessible and we won't have a hard time getting her around.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
I am going to be sailing in that same suite in March. Any comment on the soot after your cruise?

There were some soot stains on the outside loungers but never had any fresh soot on the balcony at all!

I was very woried about this and luckily it was not an issue on my sailing. I have no idea what makes it that some get it and others do not. You could tell from the stains on the outside furniture at times it must be bad.

oooooops, sorry, i was one deck above Randi25

Archived