Disappointed in price drop rules

Jen & Kim

I was very disappointed to discover that Celebrity no longer issues on-board credit for price drops that occur after final payment is due. Has anyone dealt with this issue recently?

I will have to think twice about booking early for Caribbean cruises since many times the price drops in the 2 months prior to sail date.

This has been the policy since May 2010, so it's not new.

And not all Caribbean sailings drop in price after final payment. My Jan 5 Silhouette sailing, which I booked a year in advance despite being sure it would hit the Tuesday specials, had a big price drop prior to final which I was able to take advantage of, and then only went up after final.

You may be able to move to a higher category if it falls within the price drop amount. We have done this in the past. No onboard credit but at least you feel like you got something if you can grab a higher category cabin then what you are originally booked in.

I was very disappointed to discover that Celebrity no longer issues on-board credit for price drops that occur after final payment is due. Has anyone dealt with this issue recently?

I will have to think twice about booking early for Caribbean cruises since many times the price drops in the 2 months prior to sail date.

I have to ask, if the price increases after final payment would you be willing to send a check for the increased price? Book at a price you are happy and stop checking prices after the final payment.

You may be able to move to a higher category if it falls within the price drop amount. We have done this in the past. No onboard credit but at least you feel like you got something if you can grab a higher category cabin then what you are originally booked in.

I have often wondered if you can do that when the reduced fare states "for new bookings only"? I would even be wiling to pay a few dollars added to what I paid to move up to a higher category at a reduced fare to take advantage of the drop...

I have often wondered if you can do that when the reduced fare states "for new bookings only"? I would even be wiling to pay a few dollars added to what I paid to move up to a higher category at a reduced fare to take advantage of the drop...

I don't believe you can do this, but you can always try. If it works, please report back.

I know you can get a higher category cabin if the price changes in general or for a senior discount, as I have done it.

Another thing I have done is to check the cabin prices right after the cruise was on a Tuesday Special. Once I was able to upgrade from Balc to Concierge for no extra cost. Evidentally, not enough cabins sold on Tuesday!

Many posters check prices daily (as I do, too) in order to take advantage of price drops.

Good luck!

I just don't see your complaint. Like others have said, this has been the policy for years. There has to be some cut off date. Today you are guaranteed the "best price" up to 75 days before your cruise. It is true Celebrity will often sell off the few remaining rooms at a discount close to the sail date, yet these rooms are often the least desireable rooms in the least desireable location on the ship.

We all make choices when we book, at what price, and what class. If you book the staterooms you want, at a price you are comfortable with ..... great.

It is a guarantee when you walk out of your stateroom and look at the 5 rooms to your right and the 5 rooms to your left ..... they ALL paid a different price for their room.

Archived