What to bring on the Xpedition

BillC

We have a group of 20 clients (including ourselves) that will be on the 8/28/05 sailing of the Xpedition.I'm getting lots of questions about what type of clothing and foot gear to,or not to bring,with us.I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions from those who have taken this wonderful voyage already.

Thanks,in advance for your help.

pardon but don't you have some dignity? 'prior' to booking your poor clients-jeez-not to flame you but if you don't know what the hhhh your doin don't be bookin folk- :confused:

and before all you guys jump my boat about this is THE place to ask- it's NOT fora seasoned TA (read the past posts). jeez...It's pitiful I tell ya.go read a book or call Celebrity. Read the reviews posted here already.Thank goodness your clients dont' read here. you'd be fired.Of course...in my humble opinion. :)

What about this post makes you think the poster is a TA? He could be a business man taking his clients on a trip as a "thank you" for allowing him to do business with him. Its happened to us before.

Thank your Cruisergirl.I will contact you.Despite what has been implied,I've done lots of research on the Galapagos,including discussing it with Celebrity.There are many inconsistencies,as well as a constant seeking of current feedback on most of the Xpedition threads.I am interested in hearing what you recommend people wear to dinner,as well as such things as what type of footing do you recommend for the Zodiac and shore excursions.Also,there is much conflicting advice re: what medications (Cipro,Levoquin,etc.) to bring.Additionally,did you take malaria prophylaxis with Aralen,and boosters for yellow fever,polio,hepatitis A&B,and tetanus.

BillC, asyou may recall we are on the same trip with you so any help on clothing etc will be helpful.

I did manage to book my MAPI trip as well - before Galapagos to accomodate by daughter's schedule. MAPI will be quite cool to almost cold in the evenings from what I have read so I will be bringing our ( Canadian) spring type clothes.

Miriam

Also,there is much conflicting advice re: what medications (Cipro,Levoquin,etc.) to bring.Additionally,did you take malaria prophylaxis with Aralen,and boosters for yellow fever,polio,hepatitis A&B,and tetanus.

Bill,

I would highly recommend that you and your group check to see whether your local hospital has a travel clinic. I first used one at our local hospital after Windjammer sent a letter recommending taking malaria pills when I went to Honduras. Since that time, I always check with the travel clinic whenever I travel anywhere out of the country. Besides telling you what shots you may need, they can prescribe medication (such as cipro or altitude sickness medicine), and also keep track of when previous shots need updating.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me directly.

What about this post makes you think the poster is a TA? He could be a business man taking his clients on a trip as a "thank you" for allowing him to do business with him. Its happened to us before.

simple-i look at all the posters proir posts before making a post of that caliber.you outa too -I still say it's dang embarrisin.

Thank your Cruisergirl.I will contact you.Despite what has been implied,I've done lots of research on the Galapagos,including discussing it with Celebrity.There are many inconsistencies,as well as a constant seeking of current feedback on most of the Xpedition threads.I am interested in hearing what you recommend people wear to dinner,as well as such things as what type of footing do you recommend for the Zodiac and shore excursions.Also,there is much conflicting advice re: what medications (Cipro,Levoquin,etc.) to bring.Additionally,did you take malaria prophylaxis with Aralen,and boosters for yellow fever,polio,hepatitis A&B,and tetanus.

and Celebrity even says not to take malaria etc shots for goodness sakes (and yes Ive been to the Galapagos)

Most important would be a good, lightweight wide-brimmed hat that will stay on when it's windy... & lots of sunscreen (I don't usually use sunscreen because I work outside all summer and am used the sun - but I wore 45 everyday in the Galapagos).

Footwear I would recommend are both light hiking shoes and sandles that can get wet during wet landings (Teva type sandals - if you don't mind a little sand between your toes)

As for dinner... most people were quite casual, but men wore long trousers and women capris, slacks or some skirts. ( definitely no ties, jackets or pretty dresses.) I guess it's whatever you feel comfortable in - when you can only take 30 - 40 pounds with you you'll have to pick and choose carefully.

And - Bean Bag - if you can't be helpful or polite, why do you bother to post a reply?

We just booked the 9/25 so we're appreciative of the knowledge here. Good tips about dress, landing shoes, etc.

Any advice about snorkeling for contact lens wearers? My wife is a new soft lens wearer, I would guess they would work well if the masks fit well. Any advice ?

Anyone else on the 9/25 ? Seems like the ship is filling ....

Thanks,

Frank

Frank, I wear contacts when I'm snorkeling with no problems. The mask protects them and even if you get a little water in your mask it's no worse than if you weren't wearing contacts. She won't risk losing them snorkeling.

Archived