Grenada, Walk into Town????

martyap

We'll be in Grenada in March and we're not sure if we want to add another "tour" as we have a few booked in the other ports. Have read it is easy to walk to town and around the Carenage.......is this a worthwhile plan or is it really best to go with an organized activity........Karen:confused:

We walked to town and had no difficulty at all.... just be careful in the tunnel to stay close to the side. We enjoyed our walk and would do it again.

The new terminal at the dock has some shops to roam around, as well, if that interests you.

We walked to town and had no difficulty at all.... just be careful in the tunnel to stay close to the side. We enjoyed our walk and would do it again.

The new terminal at the dock has some shops to roam around, as well, if that interests you.

Thank you for the response.......I really want to find out if the town offers a worthwhile experience for a few hours.....sites, shopping, spices, lunch.....OR....are we better off taking an organized tour for the day....

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to Grenada twice. The first time on a tour and the second we walked into town. Definitely take a tour if you want to see this beautiful island.

The walk to the little market isn't bad, but it's a little market and not much is there. We walked into town and the previous poster is right, be careful in the tunnel.

It's also insanely hot there and we nearly melted during our walk. The ground is uneven and while it's a nice walk, there isn't much to see or do along the walk. Just a lot of buildings. The locals we passed smiled and were friendly, but that was the highlight.

I recommend a tour.

I walked into town several times and didn't go through the tunnel, because it didn't look pedestrian-friendly. I took the longer route (only by a few blocks) and went to the batik "factory" and saw a demonstration and bought some cheap loofahs, a batik piece for framing, a bamboo stirer, a bamboo business card holder, and maybe a few other small items.

There's a Cultural Center across the street and there's a small cafe in their courtyard. Didn't get a chance to try it, because they stop serving in the late afternoon.

There's also another local store on the same side of the street with interesting things.

I ate at the Crab Back Restaurant, and highly recommend it. You can smell the spices when you walk in the door!

For affordable local food, there's a caferia upstairs in the grocery store near the dock (forgot the name). All the locals go there for lunch, and there's a good selection. Everybody recommended the nutmeg ice cream, but I didn't try it. I had the spinach/callaloo and other local dishes.

You can also walk to the fort (close to Crab Back), and there'll probably be a "guide" there to explain the history.

You'll find other nutmeg products in the stores. Everybody raves about the Injur-Heal Oil which is supposedly good for joint pain (which I don't have). I didn't like the nutmeg jelly, but do like the nutmeg honey I found at a natural body products store outside of town.

I posted a map, I think, under the thread LOCAL/Expert Advice Needed.

I also went to the fish market which is close to the port, and saw women cleaning and cutting some HUGE fish. Everybody was very nice, and let me take all the photos I wanted.

I find that I can interact more with locals when I'm walking about than I can with a tour. Grenada is beautiful and the people are friendly.

• 1 year later...

When you refer to town are you talking St. Georges?

• 1 month later...

We walked into town and picked up a tour from a local...not an organized tour from the ship. It was the best and cheapest tour we ever did. He even took us to the passport office to get a souvenir stamp. There was a van full of us so we felt safe the entire time. He was very friendly, informative and in love with his country. He made me fall in love with his country..I can't wait to go back!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived