Stolen driver's license and sail in 5 days

klo28910

We leave Thursday for our cruise and my friend's wallet was stolen so she is without a driver's license. She has a passport. I just called Carnival and was told that she doesn't need a license as long as she has a passport, however, I seem to remember having to show a license along with my passport at the port of Galveston. Does anyone else recall being asked for both?

We leave Thursday for our cruise and my friend's wallet was stolen so she is without a driver's license. She has a passport. I just called Carnival and was told that she doesn't need a license as long as she has a passport, however, I seem to remember having to show a license along with my passport at the port of Galveston. Does anyone else recall being asked for both?

You dont need both, some people dont even have a DL.

I was thinking that some people don't have a license, but assumed they had to use another form of photo id. Maybe I just always have mine out because I thought it was expected.

That makes me feel much better. Thanks.

I don't know if you normally leave your passports on board while in port but remember you will need photo ID and room key to return to the ship in most ports so your friend will need to bring her passport with her off the ship.

wouldnt it just be easier to go to DMV and get a new one.Its rather easy

Not in Texas. You visit DPS, apply for replacement and have photo taken, leave with a paper receipt that serves as a temporary license while Austin processes your new photo ID and sends it out, usually in 4 to 6 weeks. :(

The laminate on my DL was peeling off, so I went to the DMV and walked out with a duplicate in 15 minutes. No charge. The OP should have plenty of time to get it taken care of. A passport should be fine, but mine stays locked in the safe except when needed. I carry my DL most of the time.

EDIT: missed the post about Texas DMV...Sounds like they need a new IT guy.

But im sure they issue something temporary or Im sure you would be breaking some law driving without it

You receive a paper receipt showing you applied for the replacement. It's valid for driving while you wait to receive the new license from Austin. The receipt doesn't have a picture so it's useless as a form of ID for any other purpose.

It is amazing to me people have no clue what a passport actually is.

The reason I actually read this thread too!

But the rules are changing all the time, I am from Australia and cannot enter USA without the new " I.D Chipped" passport. My old passport run out last year and had no I.D chip so I could not have used it if it was still valid.

Chipped passports started I think around 2006 so even if I had 3-4 years left on my old one I would still be required to renew for a chipped type.

If a US citizen was re entering USA without a "Chipped" passport would they need secondary I.D?

Den

Sometimes they may ask to see your DL in order to prove your state of residency if you have a resident special rate for that state. A passport proves citizenship but does not prove your state of residency.

I have sailed 4x on residency rates, with 3 different lines and never been asked for my DL. Which port or line were you asked for proof of residency?

Im not even sure if it comes up on their screen when you check it. They just match up booking #

The reason I actually read this thread too!

But the rules are changing all the time, I am from Australia and cannot enter USA without the new " I.D Chipped" passport. My old passport run out last year and had no I.D chip so I could not have used it if it was still valid.

Chipped passports started I think around 2006 so even if I had 3-4 years left on my old one I would still be required to renew for a chipped type.

If a US citizen was re entering USA without a "Chipped" passport would they need secondary I.D?

Den

No, My current passport was isued in 2003 and expires next year. It predates the rf passports but is still perfectly valid for entry to the United States.

Unless you have moved since being issed with a passport, the passport shows your address. At least mine does that was issued in 2003.

The address is no longer correct since I have moved.

Odd...I've possessed a valid passport for over fifty years; the most recent issued in 2003. None have ever listed an address, only place of birth.

Also...If you live in TX, and if she goes to get her license replaced, I think that they will give her a temporary license with her picture on it. It's a printout.

I'm guessing 1) you don't live in Texas and 2) you didn't bother reading all the other replies. The temporary DL in Texas does NOT have a photo on it unless they've started doing that real recently and I'm pretty sure they haven't.

No, My current passport was isued in 2003 and expires next year. It predates the rf passports but is still perfectly valid for entry to the United States.

Must be a security measure introduced by US Homeland security for non US citizens only?

Good Idea though,after all I have 2 passports British and Australian how many other nations allow dual citizenship and dont chip passports.

Den

Archived