Splinter can you help?

like2cruise

Hi Splinter,

I was hoping to find a local in San Diego :-) We are going to San Diego for the weekend and we need advice as to what would be the best area for us to stay that we would not have to rent a car. We most likely will go to the zoo , but also want to see some of the sights from the trolley or what ever advice you have that we should do. We are taking our daughter for her 19th birthday. Thanks for any information you can share!

Hi Splinter,

I was hoping to find a local in San Diego :-) We are going to San Diego for the weekend and we need advice as to what would be the best area for us to stay that we would not have to rent a car. We most likely will go to the zoo , but also want to see some of the sights from the trolley or what ever advice you have that we should do. We are taking our daughter for her 19th birthday. Thanks for any information you can share!

I'm not Splinter, but you might consider staying in the Gas Lamp district or Little Italy - both are close to the trolley system. Several hotels have shuttles that will take you to the Zoo or other major attractions. Both areas have good restaurants and are also close to the bay.

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me the name of some decent hotels in that area if you know of any that I should check out...thanks!

Best Western Bayside is in Little Italy - it's okay. The Hilton in the Gas Lamp district is nice. There is also a Holiday Inn across from the cruise pier which a lot of cruisers stay at - don't know how nice it is. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. If you go to sandiego.org and then to where to stay they will list hotels. I know there is an Embassy Suites near the downtown area which should be okay. Hope this helps.

Any of the hotels near the convention center downtown are fine (Marriott Gaslamp, Marriott, Sheraton, Embassy Suites, Emerald , W, Westgate, US Grant, but will be more expensive than staying in Mission Valley in a motel. You can cab it to the Zoo from Mission Valley about the same as from downtown (about $15 each way). You can take the San Diego Trolley to Mission Valley, but the only hotels that are really convenient to the Trolley are the Town & Country, Marriott Mission Valley and the Doubletree Mission Valley at Hazard Center. The Trolley is a good way to get to any of the downtown area (Petco Park, Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, Gaslamp Quarter, etc.) without a car (parking is expensive and sometimes hard to find), and the best way to go to Tijuana if you are so inclined. In June it will be extended to San Diego State University.

You can also take the Trolley to Old Town, which is a great place to shop, walk around and see historic areas, and eat. Unfortunately Diane Powers, the "mother" of the Bazaar del Mundo in Old Town has lost her contract after 25 years and is being forced out of the Old Town State Park which is being taken over by an out of state concessionaire. We are not happy about this. The change is taking place the end of April/beginning of May. This includes not only the shops at the Bazaar del Mundo but the Casa del Pico, Casa de Bandidi, and Lino's restaurants. Such as shame!

Here is a site you might want to check: http://www.sandiegohotels.com/

You can also consider taking the Old Town Trolley (not the same as the fixed rail San Diego Trolley). This is a commercial bus tour of San Diego. It picks up at many of the major hotels and the cruise terminal, and goes to many of the major sights in San Diego in about 2-3 hours. You can get on and off as you please for one price for the day. It includes the Zoo and Balboa Park, Old Town, the Hotel del Coronado, and the Gaslamp/Horton Plaza.

• 4 months later...

Both are decent hotels.

The Bahia

http://www.bahiahotel.com/index_flash.html

is right on Mission Bay, so is a ways from the zoo or other sights, but has nice views and its own beach (although I hesitate to actually swim in Mission Bay due to the pollution). It is about a 3-4 blocks from there to the ocean side of Mission Bay with the Strand, wide sandy beach, and real waves. You are also close to the Mission Beach roller coaster and the shops and restaurants (funky) of Mission Beach. It is not close to the San Diego Trolley, and would require a bit of a hike to walk to Sea World from here. A car would be recommended.

The Handlery

http://www.handlery.com/sd/home.html

is a more traditional hotel in Mission Valley on Hotel Circle. There is a decent pool and restaurant on-site, but there is nothing close-by to walk to and certainly not a nice view (it is right on the frontage road of the Hwy 8 freeway) although it does look out to the golf course on the north side rooms. A car would still be recommended, but you can walk about 1/4 mile to the Fashion Valley trolley station to catch the trolley for Old Town, Little Italy or downtown and the Gaslamp or Seaport Village. It is closer to the zoo, and a fairly short cab ride to the zoo and Balboa Park.

They are both fine hotels and we use them for business travelers as well as friends staying. I think it depends on what you want to do when you are in San Diego and when you wiil be here. That would help me find something close to what you want to see.

Archived