Case of wine allowed & 'winecheck'

meripour

Has anyone travelled with a Winecheck bag (winecheck.com) and had difficulty bringing it on to Princess sailings? Is it is best to be part of your checked baggaged to arrive directly in the room?

Has anyone used this bag and found it successful for all to arrive in tact if you checked it in?

We have packed wine in a couple of cardboard boxes along with soft drinks and checked them with our luggage and have had no issues. We'll also pack two bottles in each of our carryon bags.

I'm thinking that using a Winecheck bag which, in effect, advertises that you're attempting to bring 12 bottles onboard might not be the best way to go in that it will attract attention.

Lew

After a recommendation here on CC we purchased a Wine Check before our cruise in December. I called the people that own the Wine Check first and they are the nicest people to deal with. So I ordered one and it was the best thing we could have done for that trip. We also ordered the insert which is the box and the styrafoam that holds the 12 bottles.

The absolute only question we had about it was here in Seattle with the Delta agents. We had to remind them of the alcohol level of wine vs hard liquor. Then there was no problem. We did have them put fragile stickers on the outside, just in case. This had to fly through Atlanta and change planes there, so I was definitely nervous that we wouldn't see it show up in Ft. Lauderdale. But out it came with our luggage and in excellent condition. The main reason for me being nervous was the picture of the wine bottle and someone at an airport thinking that would be nice to keep.

At the ship we gave it to the man with our luggage. They don't care what you bring to check and it arrived at our cabin with all the luggage also with no problem. This was so nice to have our own good wine rather than having to buy it in Florida or from the ship. We did have to leave the styrafoam on the ship and ended up packing things we bought inside the cardboard box and checked it again to bring home. We now need to get another insert, so will to to a wine store here in Seattle to see if we can buy one.

So bottom line, there was no problem checking it in with Princess in Florida. I know the lady that posted it here on CC checked it in at San Pedro and also had no problem with it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks HulaGirl. I just emailed the vendor to find out if they could sell without the logo. I agree, dead giveaway so we will see what they say. I assume the only reason you took out the insert was so you could use it as an additional piece of luggage? I am not so sure how this would do when it is really hot in the cargo hold. You know what they say, wine is like milk, dont leave it in a hot car.

On Princess the corkage is $15 in the MDR. Some nights we were charged and some nights we weren't. Had the same table for the entire 14 days except for the first night. We planned on paying it, so it worked out fine. No, you can open in your cabin free!!:)

Meripour: Yes, we had to take out the styrafoam so we could use that open area to pack things. Unfortunately, we could get very little in the areas where the bottles would have been and it made it so lightweight if we had shipped it with so little in it. We did try to fold it up and pack in our suitcase, but it does take up quite a bit of room. No matter how we tried to fold, it just wouldn't work with the clothing. So this is the reason we ended up putting things in it. We took some high end wine with us from WA State and it wasn't compromised at all when we opened it. Unless you are going in the heat of the summer and for a long way, I don't think you will have to worry too much.

Now there are a couple of wineries in Napa that have these for sale also with their winery logos on them. The wine checks were black, which wouldn't have stood out so much. If you have Facebook, go to the Wine Checks area and then you can see who else has it. I didn't look at these closely because of our timing (I put it off until the end that we would buy this) and wasn't sure if they would ship it or not. A lot of places in California sell these, but nothing here. The gal I talked to, who is one of the co-owners was so very nice and helpful. It came quite quickly also.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone travelled with a Winecheck bag (winecheck.com) and had difficulty bringing it on to Princess sailings? Is it is best to be part of your checked baggaged to arrive directly in the room?

Has anyone used this bag and found it successful for all to arrive in tact if you checked it in?

I believe that the OP posted the wrong URL, as that url goes to a German Language Wine Page.

The correct URL is: http://www.thewinecheck.com/

Just a friendly update. :D

Lady_G

Archived