Formal night dress code question?

marie1971

We are off on our first cruise in 19 days!!!! Our first formal night we will be dining in Chops (this happens to be valentines day) Do we still wear evening dress/tuxedos or will we look out of place. Will we also get the chance of a photo if we are not in the mdr? Thanks

We are off on our first cruise in 19 days!!!! Our first formal night we will be dining in Chops (this happens to be valentines day) Do we still wear evening dress/tuxedos or will we look out of place. Will we also get the chance of a photo if we are not in the mdr? Thanks

Some people go to Chops to AVOID dressing for formal night but you can most certainly wear formal wear there!

There will be PLENTY of opportunities for photos without going to the MDR :) There will be stations set up all over with ship photographers taking pics

The (optional) formal night suggested dress code is in effect all around the ship; should you choose to dress up for your dinner in Chops, you will not be out of place and you'll look spectacular! We did exactly the same thing as you and we were not overdressed. It was was fine. :)

Photo opportunities abound all over the ship; you will see stations set up on various levels, with different backgrounds. There is usually a sunset, a picture of your ship, the "Titanic" staircase, etc. etc. Have several taken and then choose the one you like best - you only pay for the one(s) you want. It's great!

Enjoy your cruise together. :)

I am looking at the Cruise Compass for a Formal Night from our last cruise on the Explorer, this past December. While it notes "Formal" for dining, the wording under dress code for Portofino says "Smart Casual". I read this as meaning that formal is not required for the specialty restaurant.

Everyone has the opportunity for the photo on formal night, regardless of where you dine.

Valentines Day in Chops sounds awesome! Have a great cruise.

Teddie

Hi Marie! The only way you're gonna look out of place is if you go to the restaurant wearing shorts, flip flops, etc...as if you just came back from the beach. I've seen several people wear jeans to these restaurants and honestly, I don't think the staff cares as long as you look presentable. So have a great time and a big YAY on your first cruise!! :D

I am looking at the Cruise Compass for a Formal Night from our last cruise on the Explorer, this past December. While it notes "Formal" for dining, the wording under dress code for Portofino says "Smart Casual". I read this as meaning that formal is not required for the specialty restaurant.

Everyone has the opportunity for the photo on formal night, regardless of where you dine.

Valentines Day in Chops sounds awesome! Have a great cruise.

Teddie

Smart Casual, on any given night, is the recommended attire for any of the Specialty Restaurants.

Thanks for the info, think it might be quite nice to dress up, so will give it a go. Can anyone tell me, we are in an aft family suite and I believe we get shampoo, conditioner and bodywash. Are they any good and are they renewed when they run out? Also we were going to order us a bottle of wine in our room for sail away and even some strawberrys, do you have any ideas what I can do for the kids refreshment wise, so they can join in with us? Thanks again

...do you have any ideas what I can do for the kids refreshment wise, so they can join in with us? Thanks again

I would never order food through Gifts and Gear, it's just too expensive and there are other free options available. We ordered a fruit basket on one cruise and actually never touched the fruit - what a waste.

Anyway, my suggestion is to hit up the Windjammer and take some items the kids will enjoy - fruit, cheese and crackers, desserts, etc. Room Serivce does not start until later on embarkation day so that's not really an option if you are leaving around 5 pm. You can take food back to your room, no one will question you about it.

Absolutely YES! You may take anything offered in the Windjammer (food , drink, snacks, dessert), on a plate, in a glass, to your cabin or any other place you find comfortable.

There are no food police at any entrance/exit to the buffet. If there are any staff around, they might say, "have a nice day" or something like that.

There are no restrictive rules about taking food out of the Windjammer. You might want to ask for those plate covers to help keep the food warm or cold or dust free while you're carrying it. They'll be glad to oblige.

Enjoy!

Harvey

Archived