Can I do this? Port Everglades, HAL and wine...

charleysmom

My mom, sister and I are flying into FLL day of cruise and have booked HAL transport. Would it be possible for me to go on board, then make a run to a liquor store for wine?

I know easiest option would be to cancel HAL transit and take a cab with a detour to Total Wine on the way, but Mom's got some severe mobility issues (plus she's 90) and I don't want to stick my sister with tackling boarding with Mom alone.

Will there be cabs at the pier that would run me to Total Wine and back? How much time and $$ should I allow? Is this totally crazy??

Thanks in advance -- Ann

Not crazy at all. I won't say many people board and then leave the ship, but it's definitely not unheard of. Make sure you take your cruise ID with you, and I would ask at the check-in counter if there is anything special you need or can do when you come back so you don't have to go through any check-in line again. You should be able to flag down a cab, as there will be some bringing people to the ship. They might not be sitting there waiting for people as they would normally be in the morning when people are disembarking though. Providing you know what you are after at Total Wine and can find it right away, you should be able to go there and back in 30-45 minutes. Whether you have the cab wait for you or just call another one is up to you and how much you feel like spending. There is supposed to be a $10 minimum cab fare from Port Everglades, according to the county website.

You may also consider just having all three of you take a cab from the airport, and stopping at Total Wine on the way. Probably will end up being cheaper than HAL transfer even with having the cab wait with meter running.

I would seriously consider canceling the transfers and do a van. We have done dozens of cruises and did the transfers twice and it was crowded uncomfortable and took forever.

It might be cheaper and more comforatable to do a taxi or taxi van than the bus transfers.

We got wine at that location a few cruises ago and it had a very nice selection. I am sure that most transport companies know where it is.

I am think trying to get off the ship right after you board or check in could be an issue. And I think you would both have to check in together if you are in the same cabin or on the same reservation. If you have list of what wines you want and get in and out quick, I would have the van make a stop and tip them a bit more.

We actually bought one glass of wine, kept the glasses inour room, and then every evening just poured a glass in our room and walked to dinner with it. They had no way of knowing if we bought it in the bar and this way we got around paying the corkage fee. This only works if you drink one glass of wine with dinner.

Look around on the boards under ports and you will see folks who recommend certain transport companies.

We are cruising on March 18th and are driving over from Tampa. We may stop there or go to a Sams Club. Good luck!

Thanks all! I was thinking of pre-ordering at Total Wine so I could just dash in. I'd switch to a private van in a heartbeat, but I think my sister is more comfortable putting the burden of getting g us there on HAL. I'll run that by her though. I don't know that we have to all check in together, but I know it will make it much easier on mom if we do. I actually arrive in FLL an hour or so before they do. If it wasn't for having to deal with luggage, I'd be tempted to do the wine run from the airport.

Thanks!! All the more reason to make the run from port then. My flight gets in around 10 with Mom and Bettie coming in around 11. Depending on how long we have to wait for the shuttle, I'm guessing we'll be on board by 12:30 or 1.

The more I think about a van, the better I like it. I was thinking that HAL might be easier b/c they'd meet us with a wheelchair, but we're bringing the wheelchair with us. We've never gotten transport from HAL before, but with other lines, there has been a lot of waiting for the bus to fill up before we actually left for port.

I second the idea of self transport. You will likely get there and on board faster if you take a cab or private transport company than if you hang around waiting for the bus to fill. That means less time waiting in line at the cruise port as well. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

And the answer is... Yes I can. Used the transfers. Was at the ship by one. Checked in, dropped the hand luggage in the cabin, picked up the wine and was back on board by 2:30. Round trip cab was $17.50 plus tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived