POA Deck 8 question!

jdblakeslee

Jennifer, we are in cabin 8520 on the September 15, 2012 sailing. I will be most interested to read your comments on these balconies.

I know they are forward and the only time we have been in a forward cabin was about eight years ago in an inside on Princess.

Our preference is the Princess Mini-Suites at the back of the ship. That being said, this is our first cruise on NCL and our first cruise to Hawaii.

In checking with NCL, the B6 balcony cabins and the aft balcony cabins have the largest balconies. They are 89 sq.ft. The regular balconies are 40 sq. ft. I think the interior of the balcony cabins, the ocean view cabins and the insides are all 133 sq. ft.

It appears that the B6 balconies are a "cove balcony" or maybe more sheltered. I did post back and forth with a lady that had stayed in one of the B6 balconies and she really liked it. This year, she is again sailing to Hawaii, but has one of the aft balconies. Not sure if I would like an aft balcony. My all time favorite is the last mini suite on Emeral on Princess (the balcony wraps to the aft).

8504 and 8520 are both on the port side which should be good for the Napoli Coast sail by, but I read on these posts that the best view is on the outside decks.

Would be interested in seeing your choice of excursions. Are you staying pre or post cruise or both. I note you are on the east coast too and have that time difference to adjust to.

We are staying two nights pre-cruise (Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel) and will fly home on the evening of disembarkation day. We are taking the Pearl Harbor/Missouri tour when we get off the ship that will take us to the airport. It is an NCL tour.

We have shore excursions planned for each day. We are senior citizens and hope our bodies and minds will withstand the excitement.

On Friday we plan to do the Ultimate Scenic Island Circle Tour with Discover Hawaii. Saturday morning we just plan to go to the ship and maybe "rest up and get ready" for the full week ahead.

Hi, Country Girl,

Sorry I've been away from the board for a few days, but I appreciate your insightful and thoughtful reply! This will be our first time in a forward cabin and I'm happy that the balconies seem to be a bit larger. I know some on the board don't think that a balcony is necessary, but we enjoy sitting outside and the fresh air. When we cruised to Alaska a few years ago on the Star Princess, we were upgraded to one of the owner's suites and I think that spoiled us!

I've got a few things planned for our shore excursions but haven't entirely worked out what we'll do each day. We have a rental car for the ports where we overnight, and we will arrive in Honolulu a couple of days before the cruise to rest up from the flight and do a bit of sightseeing. My sister lived there for a few years and I spent some time visiting her, but my husband has never been. He's looking forward to the Pearl Harbor area as he's the history buff in our family.

I'll continue to post from time to time as our plans cement. Happy planning to you!

Jennifer

Jennifer, if we were not doing the Pearl Harbor on disembarkation day, I would probably think about the Stars and Strips with Roberts. I understand it is the only tour in which you can walk through Punchbowl.

We stayed a week in Honolulu about fifteen years ago. I am sure it has changed a lot.

Lots of people rent the vehicles and that does seem to be one of the high recommendations. Due to DH's health diffiiculties, he does not drive and I have to do all the driving. I do not want to do any driving while I am on vacation..JMHO.

Where are you staying pre cruise?

Never been on the Star, We have cruised Alaska on the Coral, Island, Golden,and Dawn (I think...it is no longer in the Princess fleet). My favorite is either the Coral or Island. We also sailed the Coral to Panama Canal.

WOW! What an upgrade to owners suite. We were offered an upgrade (we would pay a portion of the normal cost of the suite) last May on the Golden, however, I liked the location of the mini suite (last cabin). If they had given me the full suite without me paying any more money, I would have taken it.

Ran into another "snag" on the Circle Island. Discover Hawaii does not go to the temple but I like the other options of the tour. Polynesian Adventure (which I hear is owned by NCL has a nice tour too, and so does E noa, however it is more costly. Roberts is the cheapest. Just don't know.

Enjoy Friday and have a nice week end!

We've got a tour booked with Roberts for Hilo and a helicopter tour booked with Blue Hawaii for Kauai...no other plans firmed up as yet. We did a helicopter tour in Juneau and absolutely loved it. This one was a no-brainer.

BTW, it was the CORAL Princess we cruised to Alaska, not the Star. We did the Star in Greece a couple of years ago...now THAT was a fun cruise. We didn't have to pay an extra dime for the upgraded suite, so we were lucky. First cruise with Princess back then, too.

We'll be at the Waikiki Marriott for a couple of days pre-cruise. I do have dinner reservations already for the two nights we are in Honolulu at the Hula Grill and the Hau Tree Lanai. Both come highly recommended and reservations were suggested.

We are going to book a few other private tours but just haven't sat down long enough to see what will work the best for us. I really want to book the Old Lahaina Luau and we may...since we'll have a car in Maui, we could do it, spending the afternoon in the old town and do the luau late afternoon/evening. It's a 45 minute ride back to the ship - at night - after a few cocktails - so I'm somewhat hesitant, but I've not found a guide that offers this luau. It gets really good reviews, love the setting, and perhaps it will not be as crowded as others. Just unsure.

Have a good weekend, too, and keep planning!

Jennifer

Archived