Can you get upgraded at boarding?

Rockitman

So you have your reservation, you're in line to board. You walk up to the counter and state that you know that certain rooms have not been booked.

For instance, the Grand Suite, the nicest room on a Spirit class.

Let's say you hold a regular balcony cabin and request a free upgrade to a nicer room that is appearantly not booked. Can/will they try to accomodate you? For no extra cost?

For the last few years that I've sailed, there has always been a sign at the Purser's Desk that says they are full, no upgrades available.

On the outside chance there was a room available, especially the GS, I can pretty much guarantee it won't be free.

So you have your reservation, you're in line to board. You walk up to the counter and state that you know that certain rooms have not been booked.

Let's say you hold a regular balcony cabin and request a free upgrade to a nicer room that is appearantly not booked. Can/will they try to accomodate you? For no extra cost?

Sure- and 3000 people will all be in line for that Grand Suite.

FAQs state they always sail full, do not ask.

I was at the pursers desk once and there were multiple people requesting different cabins for various reasons .. one was in a HC and no room for her scooter and she said I told them do not put me in a HC cabin, not room for 3 beds, and upset.. they dont have enough spare cabins to handle complaints from what Ive heard.

My wife and I sailed Princess (our first cruise) about 8 years ago and when boarding we found out that we got upgraded to a balcony from an inside! I have no idea how that happened, but since it was our 10 anniversary cruise we really appreciated it! Oh, and now we are spoiled and only book balcony cabins...

My wife and I sailed Princess (our first cruise) about 8 years ago and when boarding we found out that we got upgraded to a balcony from an inside! I have no idea how that happened, but since it was our 10 anniversary cruise we really appreciated it! Oh, and now we are spoiled and only book balcony cabins...

They're not dumb! Wonder how many people now have to have balconies after being upgraded once by the cruise line. Probably a fair number.

By the time you're in line, everything is booked.

in a word...

No.

:o

nice try tho...

:p

In FAQ's? like on their website? How can they pre state they always sail full? You mean never has anyone cancelled at the last minute? No one can honestly believe that, can they?

Well, first off the nicest cabin on the Spirit class is the Vista Suite.

Odds are that between upsells, guarantees and employee last minute deals the great rooms won't be available.

And if they were, of course you can upgrade ... at full price.

By the time you're in line, everything is booked.

Exactly right.

Since Carnival started the guarantee pricing, the last thing they do is to upgrade everyone that is book GTY, after they've had the upsell fairy do their thing.

By the time you are at the pier on the off chance that the ship isn't actually full I'm betting that the only cabins available are insides..

maybe 10-15 years ago you could pay for an upgrade @ the port but with the internet and dynamic pricing they almost always are full

I do remeber a few years ago(forgot which cruiseline) they had bingo on the first sea day and the winner got upgraded to a suite for the remainder for the cruise. GF needed 1 more:D

What are you going to do, mug and tie up the Grand Suite resident in the parking lot before boarding?

It never hurts to ask.

To suggest every cruise is always full might be in error. :D

I guess it never hurts to ask, but it's been years since I've been on a ship that didn't have the full sign posted at guest services.

You do have to wait until you've actually boarded the ship though. The shoreside agents do not have access to any of the booking tools, nor can they print new S&S cards. Those are produced on the ship during the previous cruise.

You do have to wait until you've actually boarded the ship though. The shoreside agents do not have access to any of the booking tools, nor can they print new S&S cards. Those are produced on the ship during the previous cruise.

they *can* print new S&S cards, ours were wrong onetime and they did print us a new one... but it took about 5/10 minutes...

In FAQ's? like on their website? How can they pre state they always sail full? You mean never has anyone cancelled at the last minute? No one can honestly believe that, can they?

Yea, the FAQs on Carnival.com state don't ask, no upgrades possible, we sail full stuff.

OP: Those who say they got upgraded, it happened before they got to the dock, not because they arrived at the dock and asked.

We had a crew member tell us once that they offer cabins to employees at "Last minute" (for a fee of course) so family members can sail,.. so its not so far fetched to think that they would sail full (or very close to it)

I know port employees who are on standby if there are extra cabins, they can jump on the ship. One told me she had her suitcase in her trunk of her car, hoping to get on.

It's my understanding that the PVPs and most likely other Carnival employees can sail free if there is a empty state room available the day of the sailing. I believe my PVP said you had to be at the cruise terminal and sometimes you were lucky and somethings you just had to drive back to the house!:D

Now don't flame me as this the the best of my memory as to what my PVP said to me!:p

they *can* print new S&S cards, ours were wrong onetime and they did print us a new one... but it took about 5/10 minutes...

They "can" print new S&S cards by the shoreside agent going onboard and getting it printed at guest services. That's why it took some time to get them.

Archived