Taking photos in cruise ship terminal

tk22

Does anyone know why taking photos in the terminal is not allowed (Galveston)? I take lots of photos, journal my cruises and make a scrapbook for each cruise. On our last cruise I took a quick photo of our group while waiting to board and was reminded by my husband that I shouldn't be taking photos in the terminal; so I only took the one. Actually, I had not noticed the signs on previous cruises out of Galveston, but they were posted on our last cruise in November!!??

Does anyone know why taking photos in the terminal is not allowed (Galveston)? I take lots of photos, journal my cruises and make a scrapbook for each cruise. On our last cruise I took a quick photo of our group while waiting to board and was reminded by my husband that I shouldn't be taking photos in the terminal; so I only took the one. Actually, I had not noticed the signs on previous cruises out of Galveston, but they were posted on our last cruise in November!!??

You arent allowed to take picture in any port terminal.

Its a security issue...if someone was planning to do harm in the terminal, they could use the picture as a mean of scouting the location.

It's part of TSA and Customs regulations...

:)

I did a bit of research and interestingly enough found this on a TSA blog:

We don’t prohibit public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations. You can take pictures at our checkpoints as long as you’re not interfering with the screening process or slowing things down. We also ask that you do not film or take pictures of our monitors.

However… while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html

Please note the link... blog.tsa.gov That's info from at TSA official sooooo...

:rolleyes:

You think the terminals is bad? I like taking lots of photos - especially at night. I was at Disneyland between California Adventure and Disneyland taking lots of pictures - Disney security swarmed me - about 5 guys.

At the port in Miami, it was just one security person.

I've taken photos in Port Canaveral before, have never seen signs saying not to and have never been told not to. I'll find out what Ft. Lauderdale is like in a few days. :) If I don't see any signs I'll probably snap a couple as I'm one of those who takes photos of everything too! :)

It's part of TSA and Customs regulations...

:)

I did a bit of research and interestingly enough found this on a TSA blog:

We don’t prohibit public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations. You can take pictures at our checkpoints as long as you’re not interfering with the screening process or slowing things down. We also ask that you do not film or take pictures of our monitors.

However… while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html

Please note the link... blog.tsa.gov That's info from at TSA official sooooo...

:rolleyes:

Just note that TSA is not responsible for the security at cruise ports so what they post about where you can take pictures of their security area doesn't count.

True you are not supposed to take pictures inside the cruise ports. I work at both a cruise port and for TSA part time.

Pictures of boarding process? Maybe you should take a few shots of how your breakfast turned out as well.

I am actually curious about what the boarding process looks like. I am particularly curious about the old Spruce Goose dome in Long Beach. I'd like to see what it looks like in there since the last time I was inside it had a huge plane.

You are allowed to take photographs of your family, other cruisers, check-in staff, etc.

You may not take photos of the structure itself, or security checkpoints (especially the scanners in place and staff in uniform).

David

I am actually curious about what the boarding process looks like. I am particularly curious about the old Spruce Goose dome in Long Beach. I'd like to see what it looks like in there since the last time I was inside it had a huge plane.

Really not much in there. A few security scanners by the door and a long check in counter along the wall on the right. Not much decor If I recall correctly. VIP check in is a separate building outside the dome.

Really not much in there. A few security scanners by the door and a long check in counter along the wall on the right. Not much decor If I recall correctly. VIP check in is a separate building outside the dome.

What did they do with all of that space? Just empty?

why it is because of paranoia. Do you know there is no record of any terrorist or the like taking pictures of a target. Even after they caught them they did not take photos. Overkill. They say it is because of safety yet it is because they do not want people to see what they are doing.

I don't know if this counts as the "terminal" or "security area" but we took a TON of pictures in the VIP waiting area. We had a large wedding party and had to wait there to board, so we took the opportunity to take lots of pics. No one told us to stop. As a matter of fact, several Carnival employees are in our pics!

I don't know if this counts as the "terminal" or "security area" but we took a TON of pictures in the VIP waiting area. We had a large wedding party and had to wait there to board, so we took the opportunity to take lots of pics. No one told us to stop. As a matter of fact, several Carnival employees are in our pics!

I believe the issue is with the security area. They don't want somebody taking a picture or video taping procedures to discover weaknesses or plan an attack. They have found photographs of various areas on terrorists' computers.

I don't know if it is overkill, CYA, or being prudent. Like others have posted, if they really want the images, they will get them through a hidden camera.

Archived