Looking to book a flight within Italy

dksuri

Hi all,

I hope that I can get some help, I'm looking to book flight from Rome to Venice after my cruise in may. I was wondering if any one has used ebookers.com? Can I trust there prices? Also if my cruise docs at 7:00 am what's the earliest I should book my flight from Rome to get to Venice? At help would be appreciated

Cheers

You might want to consider taking the train from Rome to Venice. When you figure the time and hassle of getting to the Airport,checking in, going through security, etc. You can take the train from down town Rome and end up in the Ferrovia Station in Venice,which is near Piazzale Roma. From there you can take a vaporetto (water taxi) just about anywhere

Thank you for the quick responses, the only reason we are considering the fight is because a. It cheaper to fly of I book through ebookers.com and b. don't have much time and flying would be faster for us.

Ferrovia (train station) is the stop on the vaporetto(water bus) in Venice. That is where you get off to go to the train.

The name of the train station on the Italian train site,Trenitalia, is Venezia Sant Lucia.

You don't need to use a 3rd party site for plane tix.

Just use the Easy Jet which is sort of equivalent to Southwest Air here in the USA.

Be careful to read their carryon baggage allowance as it is usually much less than USA airlines.

IF you have a lot of luggage you might want to take the train.

Why would you fly from Rome to Venice when everyone else does it by the super high speed trains of Trenitalia. The trip takes under 4 hours and trains depart every 2 hours as Roma (Termini) - Firenze (SMN) - Venezia (St.Lucia) as a through tarin . Compulsory seat booking applies .

You travel from the centre of Roma to the footsteps of the Canal Grande in Venezia.

Fly you have 45 minutes out to FCO Airport, then all the Security time, the flight time, and then land taxi or expensive water taxi from Venice Airport into Piazzale de Roma .

Much less hassle and much the same time and far more scenic to do the trip by train, delightful Tuscan countryside approaching Firenze, then a scenic run through the mountains departing Firenze for Venezia.

Why would you fly from Rome to Venice when everyone else does it by the super high speed trains of Trenitalia. The trip takes under 4 hours and trains depart every 2 hours as Roma (Termini) - Firenze (SMN) - Venezia (St.Lucia) as a through tarin . Compulsory seat booking applies .

You travel from the centre of Roma to the footsteps of the Canal Grande in Venezia.

Fly you have 45 minutes out to FCO Airport, then all the Security time, the flight time, and then land taxi or expensive water taxi from Venice Airport into Piazzale de Roma .

Much less hassle and much the same time and far more scenic to do the trip by train, delightful Tuscan countryside approaching Firenze, then a scenic run through the mountains departing Firenze for Venezia.

Agreed, train is the way to go; by the time you allow time to/from airport; security etc etc; the train is just as fast and infinitely more civilized

This advice is wrong on a few points.

First, the OP is leaving from Civitavecchia, not Rome.

The train from Civitavecchia to Venice takes about five and a half hours, plus about thirty minutes to get to the train station in Civitavecchia on foot and allow time to wait on line to purchase tickets. In total, about six hours from the ship to Venice.

By car it's about an hour to the airport, plus 60 - 90 minutes preboarding time. The flight takes one hour, then allow 30 minutes for luggage and 30 minutes for the bus to Piazzale Roma in Venice (just across the Grand Canal from the train station). That adds up to about four and a half hours from the ship to Venice. Even if you add some additional "pad" time it's still faster than the train.

As to cost, right now Alitalia is selling direct flights from FCO to Venice for Euro 39 per person, while the lowest second class fare on the train is 80 Euro. You can probably get a discounted fare on the train if you purchase early but it will not be as low as the airfare. However, and this is a BIG however, the cost savings are more than wiped out by the cost of a car service from the cruise port to the airport, unless you manage to get into a group. Even that will probably only make the total travel cost about equal to the train.

I love the trains in Italy and use them often, but they are not always the best alternative.

This advice is wrong on a few points.

First, the OP is leaving from Civitavecchia, not Rome.

The train from Civitavecchia to Venice takes about five and a half hours, plus about thirty minutes to get to the train station in Civitavecchia on foot and allow time to wait on line to purchase tickets. In total, about six hours from the ship to Venice.

By car it's about an hour to the airport, plus 60 - 90 minutes preboarding time. The flight takes one hour, then allow 30 minutes for luggage and 30 minutes for the bus to Piazzale Roma in Venice (just across the Grand Canal from the train station). That adds up to about four and a half hours from the ship to Venice. Even if you add some additional "pad" time it's still faster than the train.

As to cost, right now Alitalia is selling direct flights from FCO to Venice for Euro 39 per person, while the lowest second class fare on the train is 80 Euro. You can probably get a discounted fare on the train if you purchase early but it will not be as low as the airfare. However, and this is a BIG however, the cost savings are more than wiped out by the cost of a car service from the cruise port to the airport, unless you manage to get into a group. Even that will probably only make the total travel cost about equal to the train.

I love the trains in Italy and use them often, but they are not always the best alternative.

If I may, where did u see that price for Alitalia, I have been looking and the only decent price I have seen is on brokers.com???

Archived