Livorno to Cinque Terre

We went to Cinque Terre from Genoa by train. It's a milk train stopping at every stop and took at least 1 and 1/2 hours. I believe it's closer to Genoa than to Livorno. Our ship didn't sail until 10:00 PM. Since you can't get there by car, I think it will be stretching it to go to Cinque Terre from Livorno and make it back to the ship. I think you will have to go to La Spezia coming from Livorno...and then switch to the Cinque Terre train. The trains in Cinque Terre run once an hour so you'd have to factor that into your trip. I really don't think it's doable from Livorno with a 7:00 PM ship departure. That's a shame too...because it is so beautiful. If you go, make sure you read the Rick Steve's Best of Europe 2004. He covers Cinque Terre extensively in the book.

Thanks for the input, bate. As for Rick Steves...it's his "Italy 2004" that gave me the idea in the first place! I also saw some amazing photos of the towns, and thought "this is a place I MUST see"! Oh well...next time.

I guess it'll be Florence for us--what a hardship! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The Cinque Terre is so spectacular that it would be a shame for you to be so close and not go there! We were not on a cruise when we visited the Cinque Terre; however, you can do it from Livorno if you hire a private car and driver.

In my opinion, I would give up something else on your trip and splurge on the car and driver on this particular day. The trains are complicated and sometimes unreliable. You can drive yourself, but it is not easy after you get off the expressway. The driver would know exactly where to drop you off in order that you could do at least one of the beautiful walks between the towns.

It would cost 4 people approx $400 to take the ship's shore excursion to Florence. If you get another couple to share the private car with you, it might cost $300 for each couple. I know there is a website for a company that does this, but I don't have the info handy right now. If you are seriously interested, I don't mind finding it for you again.

Ilene

Here are a few websites to look at:

[url="http://www.tuscanybytaxi.it"]www.tuscanybytaxi.it[/url]
[url="http://www.portsidetours.com"]www.portsidetours.com[/url]
[url="http://www.benvenutolimos.com"]www.benvenutolimos.com[/url]

I found these just by doing a Google search. I have no personal experience with these companies, so please do not consider this a personal recommendation. If you search previous posts on this Message Board, I'm sure you will find many recommendations and comments!

I am thinking that this trip is a little too far for a simple day trip. Keep in mind that Cinque Terre consists of 5 seperate villages, and that the joy of the area is best experienced by hiking between all 5 villages. This feat takes many hours, and part of the trail is pretty hilly. If you really have your heart set on doing this from a cruise port (we did it when we were on a several week driving vacation) I would agree with the other post about hiring a private car. You could have the car take you to one end of the "trail" and meet you at the other end a few hours later. But again, I do think this is best done on a land-based trip, or from a cruise that spends a full day in Genoasome other town that is closer to Cinque Terre.

Hank

Hi Hank!

I agree with you that it is a big trip for one day; however the poster seemed to have a really strong desire to see the Cinque Terre and who knows if they will ever have the opportunity to return to that area. I think they should go for it! They can always return for a longer stay if they like it.

We had a miserable experience in the Porto Roca hotel in Monterrosa. It felt like 120 degrees there after our day of hiking and they refused to turn on the air conditioner in our room because it was September and summer was OVER. And that 's another reason why we now prefer cruising!

Ilene

Ilene, You simply experienced "European air conditioning." We also had a rough (but fun) day at Cinque de Terre. We were spending a few days in Santa Margherita, and drove up to Monterosso where we wanted to hike to the through the 5 towns and take the train back to our starting point. It was very hot and humid, and the trek between those first two villages was up a pretty steep hill. My wife has just recovered from some surgery, and she almost "died" of the darn heat. But what fun, and it sure is gorgeous. By the way, they now charge for taking the hiking trail. They have a discrete ticket booth along the trail and you pay for the right to walk!

Hank

If anyone planning to hike the Cinque Terre reads this thread, I feel I should warn you.....

(1) Bring a full water bottle for each person. You can buy it in the towns but not along the paths.

(2) Wear good shoes. The paths are uneven and very rocky in places.

(3) In places, the path is only about 12 inches wide with no guard rail. You will have a rock wall to hold on to on one side and a cliff on the other side!

Despite these precautions, it is well worth the effort. The view of Vernazza from the surrounding cliffs is spectacular.

This was also one of our favorite stops when we drove around Italy a few years ago. I agree it is well worth it! Regarding the time frame... There is also a train that is cheep and just runs between the 5 towns all day. You could walk all of it and take the train back or if time gets to pressed walk a few paths and hop on to get to and from the others. Some trails are easier than others although I don't remember which, sorry.

Archived