Re-po Cruises...what you should know.

Danno

The points I made in my initial post were POTENTIAL problems...just should be considered when booking a re-po cruise.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

johnrhodes - I'm amazed -- you actually packed up and left the ship for good in Aruba? I guess I haven't heard someone doing that before. They cancelled St. Maartin - so you just had another sea day? (which I understand you don't prefer).

I'm not sure what the cruise lines are going to do about overcrowded ports. In March in Key West 6 ships. In Cozumel there were at least 7 ships in port. In Grand Cayman - 6/7 anchored. We missed Costa Rica altogether. This year in Key West and Grand Cayman there must have been 15,000 people in these ports at once -- not a very good time.

We are going back to the Southern Caribbean next March and I sincerely hope those ports aren't as crowded (although St. Maartin is one of them!).

Bottom line I'm sorry your experience with Celebrity wasn't necessarily a good one. We tend to "overlook" alot of things because we too save up all year for one cruise -- but, Celebrity remains our cruise line of choice.

Lucy

Blazerboy,

Can I come live with you? Tenth Transatlantic? Wow. You're my hero. I can't wait for the day to get on a ship with more than one sea day in a row. I loved your description of the clientele on the ship. Sounds like my kind of cruise.

Champagne on the last day of the cruise, now that's really my idea of a perfect vacation.

Thanks for you insight to Transatlantics and your post.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;14;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Celebrity Zenith - NYC to Bermuda

Big Red Boat II – New York to Canada/New England, August 2000

Regal Empress – New York to Canada/New England, August 2001

Millennium – 10 Night Southern Caribbean, August 2002

Millennium – 13 Night Mediterranean, August 2003

Infinity – 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, April 2004

Zenith - 7 Night NYC to Bermuda, August 2004

Hi All --

We'll be on the September Transatlantic with Blazerboy, and after our last port-intensive cruise in Europe, we are definitely looking forward to all of those sea days and some well earned R&R. Bonus for us is that we have a wonderful group of people that we either know or are getting to know before the cruise via this and other boards... and that's less than 10% of the passengers (I think the cruise is near capacity). As for the clientele being "different" than other Celebrity cruises due to the itinerary/pricing, we see it as a great opportunity to get to know a whole lot of people who have at least one thing in common -- an affinity for cruising!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnrhodes54:

I suppose there are those that just like to read and relax--no problem._ But why spend the money for a cruise when you can got to a different city--spend a few $$ on a nice hotel and relax there?

icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We love repo cruises - transatlantics - and would consider 14 day cruises to nowhere (no ports) an ideal vacation. For us the ship is our destination, the ports are just gravy-to be enjoyed if we want to. Why would I want to stay in a stuffy hotel somewhere when I can be on the ocean itself?

On a ship, there are so many places to go and things to do without having to venture outside in inclement weather. And the price per day is much less than a hotel room offering the same service and activities and adding in your dining expenses for the same type of service and food.

We started the transatlantics after doing two different week long port intensive cruises in 8 months. When I compared what we paid for a one week Alaska to a two week transatlantic, the difference wasn't that much between the two. And when I looked at the itinerary on the transatlantic and saw how many sea days (9), well I was hooked. After our first trans, we came home totally rested and relaxed. We did enjoy it so much that we plan on doing the transatlantic every other year in order to de-stress and renew ourselves.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Originally posted by LMKohler:

johnrhodes - I'm amazed -- you actually packed up and left the ship for good in Aruba? I guess I haven't heard someone doing that before. They cancelled St. Maartin - so you just had another sea day? (which I understand you don't prefer).

Lucy---yes, this was the case. The relatives traveling with us were alot more upset with the whole cruise than we were. And since they offered to pay for the 3 days in Aruba and the 3 days in St. Thomas along with airfare who am I to argue- icon_wink.gif Another couple from our ship jumped in St. Thomas--so it can be done it's just expensive to do so. But in our case it saved the 2nd week of the vacation and mellowed the mood about the whole cruise experience.

The whole crowded port issue is certain to be another cataclysm in coming months and years. My gripe with Celebrity on this issue is that some passengers were told one thing and others were told another thing. I don't think they handled this appropriately and basically lied to us. That's definitely not a way to get "repeat" customers. I have no ill feelings towards the crew or service people--not even the ship--it's not their fault. I know many people on this board have had wonderful cruises with Celebrity and no problems--I just wasn't one of them. I'm over it and will move on-- icon_biggrin.gif With the potential port problems that are bound to surface again I think I'll just do a "land" pkg in one place every couple of years--guess cruising isn't my forte.

hajekfam--there are many people like yourself that like many sea days--I have no problem with that as it is nice to just lay around. What I meant by staying in a hotel was on a beach or something. However, it sounds like you are the type the likes the motion of the ship and the breezes blowing in your face. Wish I could sit on a ship and do that. I did one Trans Atlantic back in 1967 (I was 12-1/2) when we were transferred to Turkey and I loved it then--but there was this little redhead on board that was really cute-- icon_wink.gif--so ports didn't matter unless she got off the ship.

Different strokes for different folks--that's what makes the world go around. Enjoy your cruises- icon_biggrin.gif

I am planning on taking a repo cruise on Horizon next april. We have been on her twice before so pretty much know what to expect as far as the ship goes (of course it will be a different ship after the November drydock icon_smile.gif). We are looking forward to a different routine I guess than the normal 7 day circuit.

According to the current captain of Horizon and the previous captain the ship does have stabilizers she is, however, an older smaller ship and the stabilizers are not the latest and greatest. That is one more thing that may be modified in the drydock, they weren't sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cdbaum:

According to the current captain of Horizon and the previous captain the ship does have stabilizers she is, however, an older smaller ship and the stabilizers are not the latest and greatest. That is one more thing that may be modified in the drydock, they weren't sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the Horizon has stabilizers they obviously weren't working while we were on it--I can only pray that while in drydock they will be replaced with ones that actually work. I am not kidding when I said that ship rocked & rolled more than the 54' charter boat I was on at Westport--many people other than myself felt it. But who am I question the captains? I've never known Celebrity to give out false information--4_13_3.gif

transactionchick,

As quoted in part from USA Today article

"....."Repo" cruises are one-way sailings that occur when a cruise line needs to move a ship to a new port, due to seasonal climate changes."

Sounds like you are booked on a "Repo" cruise & hope you will love it! We are currently booked on 2 "Repo" cruises. Have heard good reviews from folks who have previously been on both. Guess we will find out! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by transactionchick:

So how do I find out if my cruise is a 'repo' cruise?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lynn Obie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until 14 day Summit - San Diego to Alaska

8/1995 HAL Noordam, 6/2000 Carnival Ecstasy, 2/2002 HAL Maasdam, 3/2003 HAL Statendam, 1/2004 HAL Oosterdam, 5/2004 Celebrity Summit, 5/2005 Celebrity Infinity

We did our first repo cruise last year and we are booked on our second one this fall.

As far as the potential problems.

1) The only confusion I saw was with the Cruise directors staff and who was suppose to run events on a sea day. Besides that it cruise as normal.

2) I did not see any different in staff besides on the sea days they need to work more since they are now serving a full ship all three meals. Never saw service suffering. In fact sometimes service is better because the staff gets to really get to know the people they are servicing on a longer cruise. Not the 7 day shuffle.

3) Saw no difference in the maintenance schedule

In fact maybe less to the exterior since hard to paint and scrub while sailing.

4) Seas are rougher than usual - that depends -our southern Atlantic crossing was very smooth. As everyone knows it is a crapshoot when it comes to weather and seas.

5) Passengers are not the typical X. Had to laugh at this one. The Constellation Sept 7 Transatlantic which is from Dover England to New York City was marked by Celebrity as no rooms available last week. Right now we have about 160 cruise critic members interfacing who are all going on the cruise. In a lot of cases, these are people who book these cruises every year. About 40 of these people were booked within the first month it was posted - July 2003. I think this is a case where you once you try a repo cruise you understand how nice the sea days are.

One of the things I loved if you cross from the East to West is the 25 hour days. Sure beats the overnight flights to Europe.

Also you get a chance to visit the city you start from and the city you arrive in with overnight stays if you choose.

I once thought I never be happy with a lot of days at sea. What I found out that you get a lot of things you never get to do on a port intensive trip, like play games, read, go to the movies, take naps, sit on your balcony, and just do nothing.

We are booked on a repo cruise on Infinity in Jan.--- leaving Ft. Lauderdale and ending up in Santiago, Chile. Does anybody know anything about rough seas on this cruise? We are thinking of spending a day or two in Santiago. Any opinions about this?

I am wondering just exactly how much some of you have cruised. We were on the Horizon repo cruise. Yes, we made the best of it and had a wonderful time. However, after being on (lost count 35-40) cruises I must say that we have been on newer and much larger ships with far more motion that we felt on the Horizon. It all depends on the seas and they can change from day to day. By nature of the vacation "cruising" comes with chances of rough seas.

I never get the rough seas beef...and every time the seas are rough the ship MUST NOT HAVE STABALIZERS. Some times the seas are rough and the ships will rock.

However I think it should be pointed out that if this is a problem, book a land based resort...they don't rock.

I too would like a re-po cruise that spends 10 days at sea...

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Our best and most fun cruise to date was a transatlantic on the Song of Norway from PR to Barcelona. It was 14 days and we made some lifelong friendships. People are more chummy on longer cruises and the Song of Norway was a smaller ship.

I think the service we had was the best yet and I have had better accomodation since. We had a small porthole for 14 days in a small room but it was a great adventure.

Cant wait to do the Galaxy repo in Sept!!

Don

Count Down to Galaxy Transatlantic on 9/3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Galaxy Transatlantic 9/2004

Galaxy 2003

Galaxy 2002

Soverign of the Seas 2002

Century 2001

Grand Princess 2001

Fascination 2000

Sun Princess 1999

Rhapsody of the Seas 1997

Soverign of the Seas 1994

Song of Norway RCL 1994

Monarch of the Seas 1993

Premier Disney Lines 1986

Premier Cruise Lines 1985

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jmcelheron:

I am wondering just exactly how much some of you have cruised. We were on the Horizon repo cruise. Yes, we made the best of it and had a wonderful time. However, after being on (lost count 35-40) cruises I must say that we have been on newer and much larger ships with far more motion that we felt on the Horizon. It all depends on the seas and they can change from day to day. By nature of the vacation "cruising" comes with chances of rough seas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jmcelheron--this was my 5th cruise. I wish I had the time & money to do as many cruises as you have but alas I haven't been able too. I'm assuming you were on this same repo Horizon cruise I was (4/12-24). I'm glad you had a wonderful time. But you say "you made the best of it"--which to me indicates it wasn't perfect in some way or another. I'd like to know what disappointed you if anything.

I'd love to see a few of the reviews you've done (if any) to see where I went wrong. The previous cruises I've done were all on ships over 90,000 tons and yes we had some rough seas also but never felt the motion we did on the Horizon. We did sail once on the Carnival Festivale (now defunct I'm sure) which was a small older ship but it was smooth sailing (and this ship came over with the Mayflower I believe). I understand and realize rough seas are always a possibility, but had you been in my cabin I can gaurantee you wouldn't have liked it much yourself.

I tried X--it wasn't my cup of tea so yes, I'll probably stay with land vacations from now on. I don't hate Celebrity or the Horizon--I just found out cruising isn't my bag. At the rate you're cruising I suspect you'll probably have been to every port in the world soon--I'm going to do that also but by plane and land- icon_wink.gif Happy Cruising!!

Originally posted by Danno:

I never get the rough seas beef...and every time the seas are rough the ship MUST NOT HAVE STABALIZERS. Some times the seas are rough and the ships will rock.

However I think it should be pointed out that if this is a problem, book a land based resort...they don't rock.

I too would like a re-po cruise that spends 10 days at sea...

Dan

Dan--if you're referring to my comments about the Horizon not having stabilizers I believe I corrected that statement after a poster stated the current and previous captain said they "did" have stabilizers though maybe not the most current ones available. And we all know Celebrity, its employees and most die hard Celebrity fans do not lie, tell half truths or give out misinformation. So I stand corrected. The Horizon has stabilizers. I am acutely aware ships can rock in rough seas (even with stabilizers installed). I just have never been on one until the Horizon. I realize you favor this ship and this line--however, my opinion was just that. I'm not slamming Celebrity or this ship. I (and some others) did not have a pleasant cruise. We are entitled to our opinions and barring some plebeian gibberish from some of those on board I feel we are allowed to express said opinions--just as you are allowed to defend this ship/line. You made the statement "if this is a problem, book a land resort...they don't rock". Believe me, I will from now on. My situation with the smells on my deck and the rocking weren't the "real" problem on this cruise. My real problems is Celebrity's "reasons" for missing St. Marteen/St. Martin and the curtailment of Cozumel. You could care less because you weren't involved. When you read my review coming up you tell me why these ports were missed. If it was weather or mechanical I could understand (and yes I read the contract-so don't bring that into play). If you're one that likes more sea days more power to you. I don't appreciate the run around I and others got from Celebrity on why these ports were missed/curtailed. This was my real issue. I jumped ship in Aruba because my relatives were very uncomfortable with the whole cruise and they offered to pay for all of us to spend the rest of the week on land. I would have done the rest of the cruise and who knows--it might have gotten better. I've just realized I'm not a cruise person and I don't have a problem with that. I've already stated I want nothing-expect nothing from Celebrity. However, should we ever cruise again this line will not be my first choice--no matter how good of a bargain it would be.

I may even hang around the boards for awhile because I really enjoy alot of the people here and there is some good info on cruising. Who knows--maybe I'll have a change of heart and decide to do this again? icon_biggrin.gif And then again maybe not-you never know. John

[This message was edited by johnrhodes54 on 05-01-04 at 11:58 PM.]

Hey Nealbark,

It gets worse than that.

The bank agent stands at the pier and tries to get all of the $5, $10, $20 bills from each passenger as they leave the ship. If you have the money tightly clenched in your fist, he says something about the "scumbag cruise line you have chosen."

Your next challenge is going through customs. This same repo guy is yelling out, "Frisk her (or him) for contraband cigars. That little gray smoke cloud must mean something.

As you are clearing customs, the repo guy spots the Celebrity towels you have hidden in your luggage. He dives across the line and yells, "These are mine along with that two-bit ship."

Next Scene, "You are in the airport. You call your TA and say, that Celebrity cruise wasn't all that great. Does Princess have anything next month???"

Les

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nealberk:

I thought a repo-cruise was one where the cruise line did not make payments on the ship and the owners had it towed away....... icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay Newt--go to bed now! It's late and you should be getting your beauty sleep--10_1_11.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txchinachic:

We are booked on a repo cruise on Infinity in Jan.--- leaving Ft. Lauderdale and ending up in Santiago, Chile. Does anybody know anything about rough seas on this cruise? We are thinking of spending a day or two in Santiago. Any opinions about this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lived in Chile for 20 years. Yes, take 2 or three days to visit Valparaiso, Viña del Mar and Santiago. Enjoy the seafood, the wines and a good steak. I can give you the email of my TA there if you need more advice.

Jorge

Danno,

Good post and valid. Repo's are not for everyone. Add to that the fact that all repo's are not the same. Transatlantic doesn't have very many ports to miss. Caribbean/Bermuda, Caribbean/Alaska Florida/San Juan, Caribbean/South America do generally have a pretty full port itinerary so tend to be different type of people that will enjoy them.

John, I am so sorry that your cruise was much less than you expected and do really hope that the time that you spent in Aruba and St. Thomas made up in part for it. Jumping ship in a foreign port is not an easy decision to make which clearly states how unhappy your in-laws actually were.

I am another big Horizon (and small ship) fan but things can and do go wrong and I realize that it can even happen on the Horizon. From the latest reports, everything seems to be back in shape and running smoothly but I still feel for those that invested their vacations in a trip that wasn't what they expected. Whatever vacation they choose next, I hope they really enjoy it!

Horizon's First Balcony 3/04

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=125594606

Donna

Cruise Total: 8 Dawn Princess 12/8/01, Dawn Princess 8/19/02, Celebrity Century - 1/04/03, Carnival Fascination 5/2/03 Celebrity Horizon 3/1/04

John -- I'm glad you had relatives who could save your vacation and I'm truly sorry that Celebrity didn't come through for you. But, this was your 5th cruise. I can't believe that you don't think cruising is the thing for you. I really hope you will try this again. What were the other cruise lines you have been on?

Lucy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnrhodes54:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nealberk:

I thought a repo-cruise was one where the cruise line did not make payments on the ship and the owners had it towed away....... icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I appreciate the complement, I am not Newt (or Danno for that matter)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LMKohler:

John -- I'm glad you had relatives who could save your vacation and I'm truly sorry that Celebrity didn't come through for you. But, this was your 5th cruise. I can't believe that you don't think cruising is the thing for you. I really hope you will try this again. What were the other cruise lines you have been on?

Lucy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucy--thanks for comments. Every day that passes now I'm getting a more decorous attitude about the whole situation. Alot had to do with the influence of the relatives we were traveling with--4_18_5.gif They were so distressed I guess some of their feelings rubbed onto me. I should have been a bit more autonomous in my thought process. However, the time in Aruba & St. Thomas was excellent also so I cannot complain too much. A few weeks from now it'll all dissipate and I probably will start thinking of a possible cruise again in the future. I really like the ocean and normally like the movement--just not so much of it. I truly enjoyed alot of aspects of this cruise--it just seemed the "bad" moments outdid the "good" ones at the time.

I've done 3 Carnivals and one in 1967 (when I was 12-1/2) that I cannot remember the name of. All those were were 7 days with the exception of the transatlantic crossing in 1967.

Thanks again Lucy, I love reading these boards and the longer I stay on them the more I start thinking... icon_wink.gif John

I so much enjoy Newt's SOH and Lois's "always positive" attitude and even Danno's sometimes controversial threads--we don't always see eye-to-eye but I always take the regular posters info/comments to heart. There is tons of information and also amusement on this board! icon_biggrin.gif

While I appreciate the complement, I am not Newt (or Danno for that matter)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nealberk--I know you're not either one--I was simply trying to interject some baseless humor in an otherwise desiccated evening for me. Certainly no offense was intended--besides, you have to be much better looking than Newt and I bet you don't say "eh" after every sentence (right Danno? icon_razz.gif) I used to think Newt & Danno were the same person--but oh how wrong I was- icon_biggrin.gif

Archived